BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

26 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

The checklist from the Lumlukka Amphur has a specific line stating that passport and birth certificate must be authenticated by the MFA along with one copy of each.

So today I went down to the MFA there only to discover that first I need to get those translated and then have the embassy certify them in some way, and then bring them to the MFA.

I am not even sure if I have that right, nothing in writing.

At first I thought I need to get them translated, bring to the embassy for their approval (how?) and then bring to the MFA. But now I am wondering about that because how is the embassy going to verify that the Thai translation is correct? Or is it merely an embassy affidavit that they have seen those docs?

Anyone being able to clarify this procedure?

My head is done in today. Spent 7seven hours sitting in a taxi riding around town collecting various docs. I consider myself lucky that I was able to obtain most of what I needed.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:20 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

I never noticed a requirement for a birth certificate from special branch?

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

I never noticed a requirement for a birth certificate from special branch?

No. This is to get a yellow tabian baan and pink ID card, which are on the SB checklist. Those come from the Amphur. The Amphur handed out a checklist and one of the requirements is the MFA approved copies of passport/birth certificate. The birth cert is really silly since you are presenting a passport, which in just about any country requires a birth certificate. No use in trying to get inside their heads. That way lies madness.

Hope someone knows the correct way to go about getting passport/birth cert MFA certified. The bit concerning the embassy's role is the main mystery.

Edited by qualtrough

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

This is to get a yellow tabian baan and pink ID card, which are on the SB checklist.

I don't think Pink ID card is on the list of requirements. I remember I showed it at SB on my first visit but they didn't ask for any copy.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I don't think Pink ID card is on the list of requirements. I remember I showed it at SB on my first visit but they didn't ask for any copy.

It's not, but the tabian baan for the applicant and his/her family is on the list I received last week.

OK, I did some research and I think I figured it out.

1. I need to take my passport and birth certificate down to the US embassy and get those 'Authenticated'. There is a form for that: DS-4194

2. I then need to have those officially translated by a translation outfit.

3. Then take all that to the MFA to get their authentication/authorization.

This is so I can apply for the Yellow Tabian Baan that I need to submit for the SB citizenship application. The need for MFA authentication was on the list of requirements for the Tabian Baan that I picked up at our Amphur. And the MFA stated that I need to get them authenticated and translated by the US embassy first.

Sound right?

EDIT:

Now I am really confused. Just read this on the US Embassy Thailand site:

U.S. Consular Officers are not Empowered to authenticate Public Documents Issued in the United States.  Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials.  Consular Officers do not have access to the records of the issuing office or the seal of the custodian of these records.

I have an notarized copy of my birth certificate and assume that should suffice, but what does the MFA want the US Embassy to do with my passport?? From the above it doesn't look like they are going to authenticate it.

Edited by qualtrough

There is a light at the end of the tunnel chaps. I'm going to special branch today with other new Thai citizens to attend a ceremony & collect my documents then apply for myThai ID card.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

There is a light at the end of the tunnel chaps. I'm going to special branch today with other new Thai citizens to attend a ceremony & collect my documents then apply for myThai ID card.

Congratulations! How long was the process from start to finish?

From the whole discussion, one can read successful applicants have been waiting from 18 months to 11 years. More recently, it seems to be down to 3-4 years for the lucky ones.

• Like 1

Keep patient throughout the process. Just tried to get ID card & will have to come back to BKK again. Despite having docs showing Im Thai still need work permit, passport & marriage registration. Still more pointless questions such as where did i  stay when I 1st came to Thailand & where did i meet my wife ?? Its all a test of true Thainess ?

4 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Keep patient throughout the process. Just tried to get ID card & will have to come back to BKK again. Despite having docs showing Im Thai still need work permit, passport & marriage registration. Still more pointless questions such as where did i  stay when I 1st came to Thailand & where did i meet my wife ?? Its all a test of true Thainess ?

Sorry to hear about the hoops they are making you jump through. I did not have any of those problems. I did not have to present my work permit which in any case is no longer valid as you are Thai now. Perhaps they have not handled many before so are running on guesswork.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

The problem seems to be there is no standard procedure for district offices to do this and many are paranoid about issuing an ID card wrongly, even though they may well accept bribes to issue them to Chinese and Nepalis etc who have not gone through the process.  It should be simple enough for them to check with BORA of which they are a part or look in the RG but would be too easy.  Several people have been given a hard time by district offices and some have even hinted they wanted a bribe to do the job. 

I was also irritated by being asked for my work permit when I had already been Thai for a month but when I told them the HR had taken it to change the name of the company (even though I told them I was already Thai LOL), they said they didn't really need it and turned out to be very pleasant and friendly.  They were just trying to cover themselves because BORA has failed to give them any guidelines.

The main is that, even though you may have to grit your teeth a bit going through the final hoop, there is nothing they can do to avoid issuing you with a brand new tabien baan and ID card. Just think about that moment when you will get your missus to take a photo of you holding up your ID card at the district office.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

For me getting the id was harder than getting the citizenship. 

And I had to have my passport translated, which I didn't even need to do to get citizenship because they used the translation of my birth certificate. 

I had about 4 trips to the umpur. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, qualtrough said:

OK, I did some research and I think I figured it out.

1. I need to take my passport and birth certificate down to the US embassy and get those 'Authenticated'. There is a form for that: DS-4194

2. I then need to have those officially translated by a translation outfit.

3. Then take all that to the MFA to get their authentication/authorization.

This is so I can apply for the Yellow Tabian Baan that I need to submit for the SB citizenship application. The need for MFA authentication was on the list of requirements for the Tabian Baan that I picked up at our Amphur. And the MFA stated that I need to get them authenticated and translated by the US embassy first.

Sound right?

EDIT:

Now I am really confused. Just read this on the US Embassy Thailand site:

U.S. Consular Officers are not Empowered to authenticate Public Documents Issued in the United States.  Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials.  Consular Officers do not have access to the records of the issuing office or the seal of the custodian of these records.

I have an notarized copy of my birth certificate and assume that should suffice, but what does the MFA want the US Embassy to do with my passport?? From the above it doesn't look like they are going to authenticate it.

Wow, when I got my name added to the Yellow Book, it was not anywhere this hassle.  It was in another Province, but the only MFA document I had was my marriage certificate.  

The funny thing about the US Embassy from what I have heard is that you can fill out a generic affadavit saying that you graduated from university on so and so day, or that you have no criminal record, or that you like to wear pink underwear... and they will sign it and stamp it (embossed) for a flat rate of 50 USD per page (make sure to make an appointment before your visit on the Embassy homepage).  The especially strange part about it is that the Thai authorities generally accept such documentation as official without question.  

Someone I know was actually tempted to put all of their information on one affidavit, to save cost, but ended up splitting it separately.  

I hope that this is not breaking any forum rules, I sincerely apologize if it is because my intention is not to do so, but to save you (and others) hours of getting the right document and translating.  I have uploaded the affidavits submitted to the US embassy, and the translations.  These affidavits and the one for marriage can be downloaded directly from the Embassy website.  Note to other nationalities, I doubt that your Embassy has the same protocol as the US Embassy.  Mine did not.  Special Branch accepted all of these documents without hesitation.  I'm not sure if that will always be the case, or if your local Amphur office will accept them.  For SB, none of these documents (and translations) required stamping by the MFA.  Like others on this forum, the submitter translated the documents himself and had them stamped by a friend (translating company).

In the end, as others have stated, it really depends on the Thai official  you are talking to what documents are required.  My experience with SB is that they are very helpful, so long as I don't show my frustration or start sounding like a nag.  It is extremely frustrating, but this exercise is excellent practice for our becoming Thais :-)

Letter of Intent - Thai.docx

Letter of Intent.docx

Passport Affidavit and Criminal Record - Thai.docx

Passport Affidavit and Criminal Record.pdf

Education Affidavit - Thai.docx

Education Affidavit.pdf

Edited by khongaeng

On 10/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, qualtrough said:

On this particular point - I also believed it was impossible to do this at the US-Embassy based on the rules shown on their website.  But, during my marriage-docs process (some amphurs want this), a translator showed me a US-Embassy-Seal + MFA stamp on a copy of someone's US-Passport main-info page.  So, it appears it is indeed possible to get the US Embassy to certify a copy of the info-page of a passport.

Edited by JackThompson

On 13/10/2017 at 12:30 PM, JackThompson said:

On this particular point - I also believed it was impossible to do this at the US-Embassy based on the rules shown on their website.  But, during my marriage-docs process (some amphurs want this), a translator showed me a US-Embassy-Seal + MFA stamp on a copy of someone's US-Passport main-info page.  So, it appears it is indeed possible to get the US Embassy to certify a copy of the info-page of a passport.

Us embassy can only certify the info page of passport. All other documents can't be certified. Only affidavit way is available for them as per mentioned in detail above by a poster.