Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

9 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Are you applying on basis of PR or marriage to a Thai?

SB - straightforward. Interview for me there was with section chief at back of office where you file the application. Only question he really wanted an answer to was "you understand you must give up your current nationality if you become Thai". Then an interview (short) upstairs with a more senior officer and the multiple choice Thai knowledge test. Ironically turns out I know more about Thai ephemera than my wife (I could have applied via PR but chose to go the wife route). Never had to sign my name in Thai but I write Thai well enough and had written stuff on various forms downstairs IIRC.

NIA - straightforward. Sat next to the missus; no kids came along. One person interviewed us. Were there about 30 mins because I like to talk. Plus I figured: "we had to make all this effort to come over here, so why hurry?". General chit chat about us, our backgrounds, what we each do. I sense that if you speak Thai clearly and well, they *may* spend more time talking to you because it's more interesting for them. But, hey, maybe also it was just a quiet day and the interviewer wanted to stretch it to lunchtime. When I did my PR Thai test a buddy of mine was in and out in about 30 seconds - I took 20 minutes. 

This was mid 2018 - still waiting for MOI interview. I guess it will happen when it happens. I run my own company and have PR so I'm not kicking my heels in a job I detest, unable to quit because I need the continuity of employment.

Thank you for the good information. I am eligible both by way of PR and marriage to a Thai national, but was advised to take the marriage route. Will report back next about how it went. As it is scorching hot in Bangkok now, plan to go in smart casual attire and a good pair of shoes, no tie.

So you are saying that after these 2 interviews with SB & NIA, it will take several years before being interviewed by the big MOI committee? That is a mighty disappointment and a risk since i may retire just short of 4 years from now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, david143 said:

NIA interview is 2 officers will ask same questions and see original documents just like WP, Visa, Residence Book, actually they try to match statement of Candidate and his wife, how you met blah blah blah.
but you guys will sit on different chairs about 3 meter space, nothing to worry anything , but i heard in Feb my friend gave NIA interview and now they Note down every word in Computer.
I gave NIA interview on 19 May 2018 SUNDAY morning 9:00 AM and it was only 2 min i set time on my mobile. there was no computer ,they  just saw all the original documents, ask some personal question from wife , kid and off course from me. Total time spend 2 min and 45 seconds, take a family photo and bye bye . this was my Experience , *** Others May Vary***.
SB interview is general questions, personal how you met WHY YOU WANT TO BECOME THAI.
Test i don't know ,i don't gave any written Test for name or anything, i deal all process in Thai ???? .*** Others May Vary***.

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to reply. As you know, i have just taken the first step on this long journey. May i ask how long after your SB/MIA interview did you go for MOI interview? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

Thank you for the good information. I am eligible both by way of PR and marriage to a Thai national, but was advised to take the marriage route. Will report back next about how it went. As it is scorching hot in Bangkok now, plan to go in smart casual attire and a good pair of shoes, no tie.

So you are saying that after these 2 interviews with SB & NIA, it will take several years before being interviewed by the big MOI committee? That is a mighty disappointment and a risk since i may retire just short of 4 years from now.

Do what you want but imho a proper shirt and tie is a minimum. Im surprised your contact officer didn't tell you what to wear. Put it on before you enter the sb has ac. 

My moi interview was about 21 months after i submitted my application. 

5 minutes ago, saakura said:

It should no longer take 4 years. The process is considerably shorter than it used to be. You should be okay.   

10 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Do what you want but imho a proper shirt and tie is a minimum. Im surprised your contact officer didn't tell you what to wear. Put it on before you enter the sb has ac. 

My moi interview was about 21 months after i submitted my application. 

I was dressed in trousers and a half sleeve office shirt tucked in with a belt. Good black shoes. I did ask the case handler and she told me that a similar attire would be fine. Now that you mention it, i will wear a full sleeve with tie, why risk offending? Yes the office has AC but i normally park my car in Siam and walk down. Even with an umbrella, i sweat profusely by the time i arrive and have to cool off somewhere before entering.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:31 PM, Arkady said:

I have been asked for a copy of my naturalisation certificate on buying land at a land office in Bangkok and at one upcountry.  A tiny bit irritating, but anyway it is just a silly bit of bureaucracy that is easy enough to deal with, if you know in advance.  At least they don't ask for the original like Bangkok Bank did and the first time it happened to me in the Land Dept they let me get a copy of it faxed to their office. Bureaucrats are terrified of getting into trouble for something they shouldn't have approved (and didn't even make money out of), so they see it as just covering their bums rather than discrimination against naturalised Thais.

Nothing has really changed. In March my wife and I bought some land up country and my ID card was not enough. I also had to produce my naturalization certificate. When I showed my ID card, the officer could not accept that I was Thai and could own land, so I produced the said certificate and, still unsure, she went to consult with her boss. Who looked at me, smiled and told her everything was okay.  Still took all day though. The office was packed. 

On 5/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, Neeranam said:

On getting Thai citizen, if you exit as a Thai, they wouldn't ask for your entry as a foreigner, or be able to link the two passports, would they? 

You could, in fact, burn your old passport as a party piece on getting your Thai passport. 

Of course they can link the two passports.

1.) Thai government is upgrading there computer system, so either now or in the near future, immigration will know that the person with the foreign passport has been naturalised but did not come to cancel their visa. What they do with that, I cannot say, but why risk it?

2.) With the biometric system at the airport, they will for sure know that there is a visa with an overstay in the computer for your person, even if you present the Thai passport. This will result in delays and maybe you'll miss your flight, so why risk it?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, saakura said:

Today 21st May 2020, i submitted to SB, all the required documents for naturalisation as a Thai citizen. I was told to come back for an interview and written test with the same police department on Tuesday 26th May and i have to practice writing my name in thai script for the test. Any advise on what to expect at this interview will be greatly appreciated. I was also told that the next step after the Tuesday interview with SB is another interview with the NIA (National Intelligence Agency). What is that for? 

There is one thing I wasn't told in advance, and that was that I had to sing the National Anthem and the Royal Anthem after that interview at SB, as they wanted to ensure that I knew these before they pass the documents on to MOI. I know the tune and could just about remember the words, but was caught off-guard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

There is one thing I wasn't told in advance, and that was that I had to sing the National Anthem and the Royal Anthem after that interview at SB, as they wanted to ensure that I knew these before they pass the documents on to MOI. I know the tune and could just about remember the words, but was caught off-guard.

I was asked to sing to make sure I had enough points for language skills (I was borderline if I remember correctly) even thought I was applying based on marriage to a Thai.  I'm not sure what would have happened if I wasn't able to sing.  I suppose it is important to know how to sing if you only have around 50 points without the language points.

I should clarify that this was during the SB interview (with the head officer, not the officer helping me with the paperwork).  I was not asked to sing during the MOI interview.

Edited by khongaeng
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, saakura said:

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to reply. As you know, i have just taken the first step on this long journey. May i ask how long after your SB/MIA interview did you go for MOI interview? 

for it took 1 month after i start process document, NIA called to my wife and asked us to come for interview.
After interview of NIA in April 2018.
10 August 2018 , SB send me message through line that we forward your Document to MOI ---> Then
on 14 December 2019 , i personally received a call from MOI staff , that i have to attend my final interview on 17 December 2019 Please come sharp 8 o'clock with family.
Now next step is Oath-----> RG

thts the procedure i have done **** others may vary*** for Timing

12 hours ago, khongaeng said:

I was asked to sing to make sure I had enough points for language skills (I was borderline if I remember correctly) even thought I was applying based on marriage to a Thai.  I'm not sure what would have happened if I wasn't able to sing.  I suppose it is important to know how to sing if you only have around 50 points without the language points.

I should clarify that this was during the SB interview (with the head officer, not the officer helping me with the paperwork).  I was not asked to sing during the MOI interview.

it was same , but i have well prepared before go behind the office ,
i learned King song and national anthem Fluent , my points was only 45 so they suggest me when you come again for applying learn these 2 and your point will over 52.
i done with 52

19 hours ago, khongaeng said:

No singing required in my case. Luckily for anyone who might have had to listen to me.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

No singing required in my case. Luckily for anyone who might have had to listen to me.

Me neither. I would have butchered the anthems and been banned from entering Thailand for life. I am absolutely tone deaf and cannot sing to save my life. Luckily, I had just enough points to squeeze through without singing. 

Edited by GarryP

11 hours ago, david143 said:

for it took 1 month after i start process document, NIA called to my wife and asked us to come for interview.
10 August 2018 , SB send me message through line that we forward your Document to MOI ---> Then
on 14 December 2019 , i personally received a call from MOI staff , that i have to attend my final interview on 17 December 2019 Please come sharp 8 o'clock with family.

Thank you David, very kind of you to give this information

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Me neither. I would have butchered the anthems and been banned from entering Thailand for life. I am absolutely tone deaf and cannot sing to save my life. Luckily, I had just enough points to squeeze through without singing. 

???????????? My general pronounciation is good but i am also bad on the tones. But i think that they are more interested in the intent. If you make a try, Thais (includes you too, as you are now a Thai citizen!) are generally very accomodative and willing to help you.

11 hours ago, david143 said:

Hello David, i have a few questions for you 1) At what stage do you get to know about your points and who tells you that? Do they give you some document or just tell you the points?   2) What about the 2 witnesses who vouch for you? Do they ever have to attend any interview?  3) Any reason why the SB took 4 months after the NIA interview to send your documents to MOI? I am asking because my case handler hinted that it can be expedited for a hefty fee.

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Hello David, i have a few questions for you 1) At what stage do you get to know about your points and who tells you that? Do they give you some document or just tell you the points?   2) What about the 2 witnesses who vouch for you? Do they ever have to attend any interview?  3) Any reason why the SB took 4 months after the NIA interview to send your documents to MOI? I am asking because my case handler hinted that it can be expedited for a hefty fee.

1) SB just told me that I had enough points. They did not give me any document confirming this. 2) My witnesses did not attend any interview. 3) I'll leave this to David.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saakura said:

???? What is the deal about free drinks, where does a Thai citizen get free drinks? Are you in a bar posting this? ????

I think he means people will congratulate you and buy you a drink. Weird. And his gone native comment???? 

55 minutes ago, saakura said:

1) In my case, they never told me exactly how many points I had during the interview with SB.  They did however announce how many points I had as I was entering the room for my MOI interview.  If SB accepts your application, then you have at least 50 points even if they don’t tell you the exact number.  

2) My witnesses came on the day when I paid my 5000 baht fee and got my fingerprints taken.  From what others have said it is possible that it could also happen at different times. Your officer will inform you when you should bring them.

3) My application was not sent to MOI until over 8 months after my interview with NIA and almost 1 year after the interview at SB, I did not pay any fee to expedite.  I have talked with others that were required to pay a fee to have their applications sent onward.  I don’t know why individuals are sometimes asked to pay a fee, but the general consensus in the forum is that you should never pay a fee like this to a lawyer, handler, otherwise.  If you have connections, the process goes much faster, otherwise expect to wait 3-4 years until you have an ID card in hand.

Edited by khongaeng
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, onthemoon said:

Of course they can link the two passports.

1.) Thai government is upgrading there computer system, so either now or in the near future, immigration will know that the person with the foreign passport has been naturalised but did not come to cancel their visa. What they do with that, I cannot say, but why risk it?

2.) With the biometric system at the airport, they will for sure know that there is a visa with an overstay in the computer for your person, even if you present the Thai passport. This will result in delays and maybe you'll miss your flight, so why risk it?

Indeed, not worth the risk. 

1 hour ago, khongaeng said:

1) In my case, they never told me exactly how many points I had during the interview with SB.  They did however announce how many points I had as I was entering the room for my MOI interview.  If SB accepts your application, then you have at least 50 points even if they don’t tell you the exact number.  

2) My witnesses came on the day when I paid my 5000 baht fee and got my fingerprints taken.  From what others have said it is possible that it could also happen at different times. Your officer will inform you when you should bring them.

3) My application was not sent to MOI until over 8 months after my interview with NIA and almost 1 year after the interview at SB, I did not pay any fee to expedite.  I have talked with others that were required to pay a fee to have their applications sent onward.  I don’t know why individuals are sometimes asked to pay a fee, but the general consensus in the forum is that you should never pay a fee like this to a lawyer, handler, otherwise.  If you have connections, the process goes much faster, otherwise expect to wait 3-4 years until you have an ID card in hand.

Thank you for taking the time to give a very informative reply.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, saakura said:

I took a tie in my pocket and put it on to see the head man upstairs. His questioning was more serious than downstairs at first and he seemed to give me the worst case scenario. 

He questioned my getting full marks in the Thai test, but it was actually very easy. 

The interview is straightforward at SB, as is the NIA and MoI. Only one interviewer at NIA, we talked for 30 minutes about gardening and the Hindu influence in Buddhism. I suggest you steer the conversion towards an interesting topic that you like. Also, the policeman who let's you into the Palace grounds is married to one interviewer. 

4 years should be more than enough time. 

I had my SB interview Dec 17, the NIA Jan 18, and MoI Sep 19.

I think you don't need to show your WP after NIA. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saakura said:

I was told my points as they were only 48.

They said I'd get more if I sang the songs. 

However, I forgot about my PostGrad diploma and I got the extra points, educational qualifications don't need to be translated normally. I heard the MoI say 53.

The witnesses were at no interview with me. 

SB called me in April 18, asking me to contact another applicant who was having a problem with the British embassy letter of intent. They stopped giving it for a few months. The SB officer said my application had been sent in March, 2 months after NI A. Don't believe anyone who days there is a fee. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saakura said:

1) At what stage do you get to know about your points and who tells you that? Do they give you some document or just tell you the points?

I guess SB would not proceed with the application of someone who has less than the minimum points required (50), so part of their job is to calculate this formally and they will normally tell you about your score. IMO every applicant should try to estimate points he can secure from the point categories (that were already explained several times in this forum) before reaching to SB, this is an important step because in some cases you could need to make adjustments to meet the minimum (such as: increasing you PR time to qualify for points, improving for the language test, planning to do the singing at SB, waiting to be in a different age range, getting a salary increase...) but in another case you would see you're already far above the minimum and have no reason to be stressed on that matter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, saakura said:

Thank you for taking the time to give a very informative reply.

fwiw you can be sure they are not sending you upstairs for your 2nd interview without enough points. My sb officer estimated my points before my upstairs interview but the head officer upstairs cut some ????????

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

fwiw you can be sure they are not sending you upstairs for your 2nd interview without enough points. My sb officer estimated my points before my upstairs interview but the head officer upstairs cut some ????????

I don't know about now, but when I applied that officer could award up to 5 points based on his interview with you. Personality/character points. He told me he would give me 5. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don't know about now, but when I applied that officer could award up to 5 points based on his interview with you. Personality/character points. He told me he would give me 5. 

Correct i got them because i let my wife do all the talking! (she a lot nicer). Really the only points that were a issue was for my yellow book. My SB contact wasnt familiar with these points he thought it was only for PR.  My wife persuaded him to ask and i received them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Correct i got them because i let my wife do all the talking! (she a lot nicer). Really the only points that were a issue was for my yellow book. My SB contact wasnt familiar with these points he thought it was only for PR.  My wife persuaded him to ask and i received them. 

So you got points for residency based on yellow book?

18 hours ago, saakura said:

In my case:

1. No idea how many points I have but have assumed it's more than 50 given my application is moving along.

2. Witnesses came on the day I formally filed the application and paid the fee. No role since then. (Make sure to keep the receipt; good idea to laminate it to keep it safe as that is your proof of application).

3. My NIA interview was early June 2018. My file was sent to MOI early Dec 2018. My SB case officer showed me the covering letter and told me to take a picture of it (long list of applicants including me) so that I could reference it when following up with MOI. Never any hints of a fee to expedite sending to MOI.