Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What certificate did you get at the Oath?

Well, it is more of a declaration letter, but A3 size with my picture on it, stating I have attained Thai citizenship.

It was the final visit to SB, 3 monhs after the oath visit. My bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Well, it is more of a declaration letter, but A3 size with my picture on it, stating I have attained Thai citizenship.

It was the final visit to SB, 3 monhs after the oath visit. My bad. 

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. 

This is the first I've heard of anyone being asked for the WP at this late stage. 

I wonder what they would have said if you didn't have one. I doubt that they would have revoked your Thai citizenship because of this. 

My advice is keep a WP until the MoI interview stage. However, I wasn't asked for mine there. 

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I wonder what they would have said if you didn't have one. I doubt that they would have revoked your Thai citizenship because of this. 

My advice is keep a WP until the MoI interview stage. However, I wasn't asked for mine there. 

I didn’t have to show anything at the MOI interview other than my passport to check in. I had also been told by SB to keep a work permit until the MOI interview.

Hard to imagine not having one at that late stage (oath taking at SB) would end the process, but TIT!

Edited by Kwarium
Clarify ‘late stage’

2 minutes ago, david143 said:

Thanks for Appreciation We are still waiting Oath. ???? 

Just fyi, SB never called me. I got impatient and called them about the oath. They said sure, can you come next week? (9/2019) I will never know how long they had my documents before I called!

You’re almost there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

Just fyi, SB never called me. I got impatient and called them about the oath. They said sure, can you come next week? (9/2019) I will never know how long they had my documents before I called!

You’re almost there!

I'm not there yet (still waiting for MOI interview), but where does the oath take place? At SB?

Is it just between you and the officers there, or is it a big affair to which many applicants will be invited at the same time?

What is the oath ceremony anyway? They say words (oath of allegiance to king and country, I suppose) which you have to repeat?

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

You’re almost there!

I think it's good to keep in contact with the SB throughout the process but not to annoy them with frequent calls. I believe there are a couple of batches at the palace now. 

20 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I'm not there yet (still waiting for MOI interview), but where does the oath take place? At SB?

Is it just between you and the officers there, or is it a big affair to which many applicants will be invited at the same time?

What is the oath ceremony anyway? They say words (oath of allegiance to king and country, I suppose) which you have to repeat?

Yes, the oath taking is at SB and individual appointment so you meet only few officers there, you just have to repeat what the officer says for 2-3 minutes and it takes only 10 minutes in total. In my case it took 2 hours because I forgot to bring the 2x2.5 inch pictures with blue background (minimum 2 pics, better bring 4) and I had to go to print some in a shop outside.

33 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Yes, the oath taking is at SB and individual appointment so you meet only few officers there, you just have to repeat what the officer says for 2-3 minutes and it takes only 10 minutes in total. In my case it took 2 hours because I forgot to bring the 2x2.5 inch pictures with blue background (minimum 2 pics, better bring 4) and I had to go to print some in a shop outside.

Thanks. And I guess this is after the Palace has signed, right?

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Yes. The full flow is "SB interview -> NIA interview -> MOI interview -> approval -> signature from the Minister -> signature from the Prime Minister -> signature from the King  -> oath taking -> RG publication -> SB issuing certificate -> Get ID -> Get passport".

MOI screens the application for about 12-18 months before scheduling the interview, after this you need to wait for about 9-10 months for the oath, and after the oath 3+ months for RG publication.

Thanks a lot for the complete work flow.

36 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

The oath taking at SB takes place in a tiny back room with flags and big royal photos. The guy invited my wife to join us and she snapped pictures of he and I and even got some video of me totally botching the repeating of the official language used. I have no clue what I actually swore to! I think it was to be a loyal subject and to never complain about alcohol bans and the ‘Thai way’!

After that, the 5 month wait for RG publication was the hardest, because I felt like it was so nearly done! 4-1/2 years was totally worth it!

Hang in there!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Gives me a good idea what to expect.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Also, make sure you are wearing a suit and tie in the pics. I brought pics in which I was without a tie, so I had to run out and retake the pics after taking the oath. 

• Like 2

You guys with successful applications make it look like a piece of cake to get the Thai ID. Aren't there any forum members in here whose applications are stuck or lost in bureaucracy?

Would be good news however if at least the naturalization law is transparent and followed to the dot.

I was curious if anyone dealt with this scenario? How would you deal with foreign quota condo ownership after you become thai. I assume you wouldn't want to convert it because its worth less in a thai name. Can you leave it how would you transfer it in the future guess im not sure if a visa is needed but using your old passport in Thailand is scary too

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

I was curious if anyone dealt with this scenario? How would you deal with foreign quota condo ownership after you become thai. I assume you wouldn't want to convert it because its worth less in a thai name. Can you leave it how would you transfer it in the future guess im not sure if a visa is needed but using your old passport in Thailand is scary too

Using your old passport in Thailand is not scary, it is not allowed. You can lose your Thai nationality.

Condos that foreigners can buy (never mind who sells) are more valuable because of the quota that the buyer needs to adhere to. Never mind the seller's nationality. The only one reason I can imagine not to change the nationality at the land department would be to block other foreigners from buying in your condo building, if quota is a tight question. However, I wouldn't take the risk of losing the Thai nationality over it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, heiri007 said:

You guys with successful applications make it look like a piece of cake to get the Thai ID. Aren't there any forum members in here whose applications are stuck or lost in bureaucracy?

Would be good news however if at least the naturalization law is transparent and followed to the dot.

In my case everything went as described and expected, ‘to the dot’. No snafus or setbacks, but it took 4.5 years from the time I first applied. That is a lot of waiting for the next step to get completed! None of it was particularly difficult, but “piece of cake”  is not a description that comes to mind!

As I have mentioned, totally worth the wait! I have been in immigration twice in the last year, just to help visitors. What a relief to be done with those visas and 90 days!

• Like 1

FYI
31 July 2020
there is another interview meeting,
any one received Call yesterday.
my friend who had PR received call from MOI and informed him come sharp 8:30 Am on Friday 31st July 2020.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, onthemoon said:

Using your old passport in Thailand is not scary, it is not allowed. You can lose your Thai nationality.

Condos that foreigners can buy (never mind who sells) are more valuable because of the quota that the buyer needs to adhere to. Never mind the seller's nationality. The only one reason I can imagine not to change the nationality at the land department would be to block other foreigners from buying in your condo building, if quota is a tight question. However, I wouldn't take the risk of losing the Thai nationality over it.

Just my 2 cents.

Have you heard of a case of someone losing Thai ID over stuff still registered to the old passport, such as condo, driver's license, insurance contracts, bank account, etc.?

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Have you heard of a case of someone losing Thai ID over stuff still registered to the old passport, such as condo, driver's license, insurance contracts, bank account, etc.?

I haven't but wouldn't want to be the first. There is no need to risk it. 

4 hours ago, david143 said:

FYI
31 July 2020
there is another interview meeting,
any one received Call yesterday.
my friend who had PR received call from MOI and informed him come sharp 8:30 Am on Friday 31st July 2020.

I got a call from DOPA today asking me to turn up next Friday at 9. Unfortunately we have a family long weekend booked and paid for including internal flights, leaving on morning of 31st. I explained and was told it wasn't a problem and that my application would get pushed back to next month (the helpful lady who called me couldn't say when in the month as it's not yet been decided). I was impressed that they called me on a Saturday as it implies they are hard at work. FWIW my application went to MOI in December 2018. Another month here or there doesn't bother me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, heiri007 said:

No, I personally haven't. And I see no reason to risk it. The decision is yours, of course. Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

For the Oath, I've been told just to take my Passport, Yellow Housebook and copies. 6 photos(suit and tie) with a blue background. Anything else I am missing? What about flowers, what type should they be?

do we have chance for oath
did you already got call or not yet.