Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

For the Oath, I've been told just to take my Passport, Yellow Housebook and copies. 6 photos(suit and tie) with a blue background. Anything else I am missing? What about flowers, what type should they be?

You should make a copy of the main page of your passport. As for the flowers mine were a bunch of yellow flowers and a small flower garland (phuang malai). My wife went to buy them so I am not sure of the exact requirement.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

You should make a copy of the main page of your passport. As for the flowers mine were a bunch of yellow flowers and a small flower garland (phuang malai). My wife went to buy them so I am not sure of the exact requirement.

Thanks. My wife suggested the phuang malai too.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

September 2019.

Just checked with Case officer,
FYI right now SEP and OCT names are in List for OATH .
December 2019 Candidates ** list of names not yet received by SB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, david143 said:

Just checked with Case officer,
FYI right now SEP and OCT names are in List for OATH .
December 2019 Candidates ** list of names not yet received by SB.

There was a group in November too, if I remember correctly.  Do you know if they are also being called for oaths now too, or are they grouped together with the December MOI interviewees?

9 hours ago, khongaeng said:

There was a group in November too, if I remember correctly.  Do you know if they are also being called for oaths now too, or are they grouped together with the December MOI interviewees?

Yesterday when i talked to case officer i asked him my name appear for Oath ?
he said Mai krub right now sep and oct.
i will follow up with him again .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Does anyone have a copy of the actual oath. I can't find it online.

I read somewhere the police say it one word at a time so probably not needed. That said id like a copy too, ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I read somewhere the police say it one word at a time so probably not needed. That said id like a copy too, ????

They say some of the words one at a time but not all. They said สิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ (sing sak sit)a few times(if the Buddhist way). Also พลเมือง(pon la muang). There were a couple of words I never understood so would like to see an official transcript. Wish I'd recorded it but was a bit too excited to remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

They say some of the words one at a time but not all. They said สิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ (sing sak sit)a few times(if the Buddhist way). Also พลเมือง(pon la muang). There were a couple of words I never understood so would like to see an official transcript. Wish I'd recorded it but was a bit too excited to remember. 

Congrag with your Oath.
so you are Thai now, and you are done with your Oath.
how was the experience ????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Here are some people talking the oath. Maybe they're different versions. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry i know this must have been discussed somewhere on this long thread but could not find it reading the last 30 pages. I have been asked to reserve a Thai name & surname at my local khet. The surname should not be one that is already in use. So i wrote down the surnames of many thai friends and then jumbling up the vowels, made a list of 20 surnames to take to the khet on Monday. I would like to ask the purpose of this exercise and whether the reserved name is ever used in any document or other ceremony?

3 hours ago, saakura said:

Sorry i know this must have been discussed somewhere on this long thread but could not find it reading the last 30 pages. I have been asked to reserve a Thai name & surname at my local khet. The surname should not be one that is already in use. So i wrote down the surnames of many thai friends and then jumbling up the vowels, made a list of 20 surnames to take to the khet on Monday. I would like to ask the purpose of this exercise and whether the reserved name is ever used in any document or other ceremony?

The name will never be used unless you choose to “activate” your new name after getting citizenship.  The default is that you keep your original name.  When I got my new name, the office I got my name from told me to let them know if I chose not to use this name so that it can be “released” for others to use in the future.  Basically they put a hold on the name and reserve it for you if you choose to use it when you get citizenship.  It does not show up on any official paperwork, royal gazette publishing or anything else.  It is just a formality and throwback to 100 years ago when it was required for naturalized Thai citizens to take a Thai name.

By the way I had a list of 5 names, and they were all taken.  I ended up coming up with a name on the spot in front of the name officer at the local Khet office.  You tell the officer your requested name and spelling and they will check their database, if someone already has the name, you have to pick another one.

Some have said that the officer makes the process difficult and asks you to tell them what the name means before they will register it for you.  I did not have that experience.  It was a quick in and out experience.  

Make sure to make a copy of the form they give you because SB will take the original.  The Thai name is more a source of amusement to Thai colleagues when I tell them my “Thai” name. 

Edited by khongaeng
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, khongaeng said:

The name will never be used unless you choose to “activate” your new name after getting citizenship.  The default is that you keep your original name.  When I got my new name, the office I got my name from told me to let them know if I chose not to use this name so that it can be “released” for others to use in the future.  Basically they put a hold on the name and reserve it for you if you choose to use it when you get citizenship.  It does not show up on any official paperwork, royal gazette publishing or anything else.  It is just a formality and throwback to 100 years ago when it was required for naturalized Thai citizens to take a Thai name.

By the way I had a list of 5 names, and they were all taken.  I ended up coming up with a name on the spot in front of the name officer at the local Khet office.  You tell the officer your requested name and spelling and they will check their database, if someone already has the name, you have to pick another one.

Some have said that the officer makes the process difficult and asks you to tell them what the name means before they will register it for you.  I did not have that experience.  It was a quick in and out experience.  

Make sure to make a copy of the form they give you because SB will take the original.  The Thai name is more a source of amusement to Thai colleagues when I tell them my “Thai” name. 

Thanks for the information, i now have to sit down tomorrow to give some meaning to the surnames i made up! The khet lady also asked me to bring 7000 Baht for this name reserving, which sounds way too much.

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Thanks for the information, i now have to sit down tomorrow to give some meaning to the surnames i made up! The khet lady also asked me to bring 7000 Baht for this name reserving, which sounds way too much.

I dont think there was a charge for my name. Where i went the staff helped find a name which took about 30 minutes 

3 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I dont think there was a charge for my name. Where i went the staff helped find a name which took about 30 minutes 

No charge for me either. The family name (Buapailin = Sapphire blue lotus), which I made up myself, was available so all very smooth. Never used it so it would probably be available again now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

No charge for me either. The family name (Buapailin = Sapphire blue lotus), which I made up myself, was available so all very smooth. Never used it so it would probably be available again now.  

Buapailin, sounds nice. I will add to my list, thanks!

14 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Same here: No charge. Very fast.

The name I wanted was accepted immediately (after the officer checked in the database that the family name does not exist yet). I wasn't asked what it means but I had discussed with Thai friends in advance whether they think it really sounds good. Maybe if you make up a name that sounds kind of weird to Thai ears they will ask what that means.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, saakura said:

If there was a charge when I did it about a year ago it was something inconsequential, like 100 baht. If she really told you to bring 7000 baht something is seriously wrong.

• Like 1

Special Branch Envelop letter already mentioned they need only Verification of House book Yellow** and Thai name , which is requested from Thai Govt system not from Us,
so don't pay anything like 7K , i should not pay either because this is not my demand this is SB demand.