Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 10/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Thank you. As for an hypothetical delay in coming naturalizations, maybe you know things that I'm not aware of, but I'd say this has not yet happened in the past 2-3 years so why worry? simply saying: there were oaths taken in April (including myself), in July and August (some in this forum), there will be at least one RG soon and probably even two -or three if there's one specific for women- by the end of the year. If anyone can confirm having taken the oath since September or by end November it would reassure everyone that things are really flowing normally. Conclusion: I personally don't see any reason to panic.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I'm not in panic mode, but I think the days are numbered for a certain person who has to sign off on these. Should that come to pass it may be some time before an alternative arrangement is arrived at, and giving that circumstance that might not be one of the first priorities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe too that things will be delayed as history has shown. 

But what about for those that have taken the oath and just waiting for announcement in RG? Will these be delayed as well? Is there any more signatories required for such cases? 

• Like 1

this is the same question running in my mind
we already done oath about 2 months ago and now waiting for RG.
all process until oath now is total of 31 Months since i started .
i am sure for those who are waiting Minister approvals and then PM maybe delay i hope it will not, but since things getting more heat up what about those candidates who already done oath.,
i will try to find out with SB today if anyone can get any info please do share.

Edited by david143
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I went to the bank today and mentioned that I would be coming back soon to change my nationality on my account. The guy, who was fairly senior, said not to bother. I said that I couldn't use my UK passport in the future and he said, "no problem, just show your ID card when needed".

This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone shed some light on the legalities here?

Btw, I have to get a new visa tomorrow, so I expect the RG to be published just after I finish that ???? 

I haven't been to the bank yet, not sure if I should hurry on this or not. BTW isn't there visa grace period (no documents required) for all foreigners due to covid until Oct 31? can't you benefit from that?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I haven't been to the bank yet, not sure if I should hurry on this or not. BTW isn't there visa grace period (no documents required) for all foreigners due to covid until Oct 31? can't you benefit from that?

When I renewed my visa earlier this year (while under the grace period) I was told that was only for tourists that are stuck here.  As far as I understood Non-Imm visas required regular renewals and 90 day reporting as normal.  I even got lectured because my 90 day reporting was a few weeks late, fortunately I didn't have to pay a fine.

If you have to renew your visa, at least you don't have to pay for a re-entry permit.  I got a multiple thinking covid would be gone by October and I would have to start traveling again...  I will probably end up getting a Thai passport before I have to travel again without ever using the re-entry.

By the way, I found out when renewing my work permit that you can get a 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, or (possibly) 2 year extension.  The prices are different for each, so for those waiting between oath and RG, you can save some money if you don't go for the 1 year extension, if you are paying for your own WP

extension (self-employed)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

As regards the bank question I took my nationality crrtificate, ID card &RG to SCB then they changed the status of the account from foreigner to Thai. There were some raised eyebrows at the bank ????

I think this is wise to do. I may have to insist upon it as I feel they don't want to do it. I have history with my bank - for 10 years they wouldn't give me interest as I was a foreigner. Eventually, I had to ask the team of Korn Chatikavanij to help me, resulting in sever loss of face and disciplinary action against the thieves. Maybe best to just open a new account at another branch.  

Just now, Neeranam said:

Thanks David. I got an extension until Dec 30. Should be long enough to finish the process. 

Lovely.

Thank God my next Ext is on 12 march 2021
WP: 04 Aug 2021.
and i hope everything will be clear before hand.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

No, that extension doesn't benefit me.

I wonder if there is any time period that you are allowed to change your banks etc? 

Technically, you are breaking the law by using your foreign passport. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I wonder if there is any time period that you are allowed to change your banks etc? 

Technically, you are breaking the law by using your foreign passport. 

I'm not using it and will not since they mail renewed credit cards by post and all my stuff is done by e-banking for many years. However I will find time to go and have my record updated one day.

46 minutes ago, david143 said:

PM insists he will not resign, saying he is not going to ‘abandon the country during crisis

I Hope we RG que members will get good news in RG Soon.
But in case of Gabba Brother he waited for 4 months

Once you have taken the oath all you need is one final signature from the Interior Minister on your particular naturalization batch (in my case, he signed 3 month after) and then it will naturally get into the RG few weeks later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Agreed! I decided to update everything, partly for convenience and not having to remember which accounts were under which nationality!

i updated:

-3 savings accounts

-joint account with wife

-3 credit cards (not done automatically when savings info updated!)

-bike and car driver licenses (needed to renew anyway)

-bike and car ownership books (2 needed new books anyway)

-bike and car insurance and info of record with my ins broker.

-Thai Revenue department

-registered with puyai bahn in the village of my address

-registered with nearest local gov’t clinic

-have yet to register with local hospital for the social health care.

Life is good!

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but my wait from oath to RG was 5-1/2 months, May to October 2018! Hoping you all get quicker times!

Have fun! Be patient! A watched pot never boils!

The tax payer ID update was a clusterf*&k for me. The local tax office (Prakanong) was adamant that it could not be done. Wasted half a day for nothing. In the end when I submitted my next Por Ngor Dor 91, I just used my Thai ID card number and everything was okay.  Used my that number ever since with no problem. It seems it was automatically linked to my former tax payer ID no. anyway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

The tax payer ID update was a clusterf*&k for me. The local tax office (Prakanong) was adamant that it could not be done. Wasted half a day for nothing. In the end when I submitted my next Por Ngor Dor 91, I just used my Thai ID card number and everything was okay.  Used my that number ever since with no problem. It seems it was automatically linked to my former tax payer ID no. anyway.  

As always, every office, every person a different experience here. Bangna revenue office was almost empty, I was called up to state my business, waited 15 minutes, then was told ‘all done’. And it really was.

Unlike K-Bank where it took multiple visits to get it all done. Their excuse was there is a front office and a back office. Only the front office gets changed at the branch. Calls were made on my behalf, finally got it done.

SCB branch in Bangna had no clue and had never heard of such a thing, but got it done through teamwork of almost everyone in the branch! Awesome aside from taking kind of long.

The most amazing is how smoothly the passport experience was! Slick and quick! Showed up in the mail within days!

• Like 2

Hi, I have been a PR since 2005 and now clearly see the value in taking the next step to citizenship. I have seen that while it may be possible to file the application in Phuket, it is strongly recommended to do so in Bangkok. I would like to hear if anyone has (or knows of) someone who successfully used the start in Phuket route. Thx

6 minutes ago, mikejphuket said:

Hi, I have been a PR since 2005 and now clearly see the value in taking the next step to citizenship. I have seen that while it may be possible to file the application in Phuket, it is strongly recommended to do so in Bangkok. I would like to hear if anyone has (or knows of) someone who successfully used the start in Phuket route. Thx

If you do it through Bangkok, expect at least 7 return trips there.

7 minutes ago, mikejphuket said:

Maybe you can look at previous rg and see if any of the people were from Phuket. Chonburi told me no one has successfully applied 

• Like 1

I did the MOI interview already, but I am resigned to a very long wait. I don't want to be discouraging, but there the signature of one very, very  important person is required and the chances are that he might not be in a position to sign it in the near future. If that happens, how long would it be until an alternative could be arranged? I doubt anyone knows.

42 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I did the MOI interview already, but I am resigned to a very long wait. I don't want to be discouraging, but there the signature of one very, very  important person is required and the chances are that he might not be in a position to sign it in the near future. If that happens, how long would it be until an alternative could be arranged? I doubt anyone knows.

Once you done your MOI interview.
File send to Minister Interior + PM then file moves to HM Palace office and then back to Oath.
My Experience was From MOI Interview to Oath i waited for 7 Months and 19 Days.
in Case of Ministers reshuffle OR New Govt.
Current Govt still in charge of Govt matters for next 90 Days until new Govt Step up after Elections.

Edited by david143
Edition