Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Did you need your passport to change details in bank accounts etc?

So the ID issuing place are sent stuff from the MOI, intersting. Thanks for sharing this ????

Ahh, banks. A whole different adventure! Yes, I showed my passport which I had used to open the account, along with Thai ID, and in some cases, showed my RG publication to help them get their heads around it! The green bank was the worst for me, the branch staff changed it in the front office program, but not in the ‘back office’ data base. Eventually got it. Credit cards need to be done separately, too.

Yes, the MOI letter to amphur office was a surprise to me. David seemed to know about it, but I didn’t get the letter he mentions as #3 above. iirc.

Edit to say what a simple and easy experience getting the Thai passport was! Driver licenses were also super easy! Amazing Thailand!

Edited by Kwarium
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've heard differing opinions on when one is officially a Thai citizen; my case officer said I was Thai after the Oath, however said I need to keep my visa and WP until the end(whenever that is). Some say it is when your name is published in the RG or recieve your nat.cert. , others say when you get your name in the blue housebook, and some when you get that blue ID card. It would be good to get a definitive answer.

I took it that holding the blue Thai ID card/ Thai passport is the moment that you've become a Thai national simply because without it you cannot change your identity for TAX, Social Security Office or subscribe to loans, hospital registration, Khon La Krueng and any other official identity changes or subscriptions. It might officially be that when your name is published in the RG you're a Thai national but that document on its own won't let you do any formal identity changes or subscriptions.

With my Thai ID and foreign passport I cancelled my extension of stay and changed my bank account. That was the last time I used my foreign passport.

• Like 2

Jan'20 MOI interview batch here and took oath in end August.

Seems like I am in the final stages and I am not really in a hurry except My extension of stay expires in end March'21. 

Would really prefer to not do go thru the hassle of applying for another year. In the event citizenship process is not completed before my extension of stay expires, is there a any other ways to extend my visa status temporarily by say another 3 months without the need of a mountain load of supporting documents? 

December 2019 Batch Took Oath on 26 August.
Current Status : Waiting RG

My Non O Visa will also expire on 12 March 2021 And Work permit 04 August 2021
I do have work permit but in case if i need to extend ,i will use 400K option to avoid office paper work , i already deposited 400K in my Green Bank account since 1st December for back up, i will keep 400K in my account until visa extension OR RG publish --- just back up plan.
But as per case officer RG suppose to be publish again in Jan mid or End of Jan 2021. ** Assume*
Or if RG chai dee mak they may publish before New Year gift.
17 Nov 2020 RG was for Sep 2019 Candidates and Oct 2019 .
so Next suppose to be Nov - Dec 2019.

So fingers are crossed and keep the back up plan .

3 hours ago, kst said:

Jan'20 MOI interview batch here and took oath in end August.

Seems like I am in the final stages and I am not really in a hurry except My extension of stay expires in end March'21. 

Would really prefer to not do go thru the hassle of applying for another year. In the event citizenship process is not completed before my extension of stay expires, is there a any other ways to extend my visa status temporarily by say another 3 months without the need of a mountain load of supporting documents? 

I believe you can get 2 months because of Covid.

22 minutes ago, david143 said:

December 2019 Batch Took Oath on 26 August.
Current Status : Waiting RG

My Non O Visa will also expire on 12 March 2021 And Work permit 04 August 2021
I do have work permit but in case if i need to extend ,i will use 400K option to avoid office paper work , i already deposited 400K in my Green Bank account since 1st December for back up, i will keep 400K in my account until visa extension OR RG publish --- just back up plan.
But as per case officer RG suppose to be publish again in Jan mid or End of Jan 2021. ** Assume*
Or if RG chai dee mak they may publish before New Year gift.
17 Nov 2020 RG was for Sep 2019 Candidates and Oct 2019 .
so Next suppose to be Nov - Dec 2019.

So fingers are crossed and keep the back up plan .

I got my yearly extension for having Thai children extended for 2 months. Yesterday, I went to do my 90 day reporting to be told I didn't have to do it, despite the previous guy sticking the date in my passport. Maybe because I was the only person in the whole office, the guy was in a good mood(well not a bad mood). He also said he could extend the visa for another two months if needed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I got my yearly extension for having Thai children extended for 2 months. Yesterday, I went to do my 90 day reporting to be told I didn't have to do it, despite the previous guy sticking the date in my passport. Maybe because I was the only person in the whole office, the guy was in a good mood(well not a bad mood). He also said he could extend the visa for another two months if needed.  

great idea .

Thank you Brother you are always a handy help with info

Just for General info.
Calculation lapse start from November Month.

Year 2017 : 21 November 2017 Male
Year 2018 :
23 February 2018 Male

Year 2018: 12 December 2018 Male
Year 2019 :
03 April 2019 Male

Male:  21 November 2019 Male
Male: 11 February 2020 Male

This is year 2020
Male: 17 November 2020 Male + Kid Mix
Next Should to be in Mid OR End February 2021.

This is 3 year Calculation
Hope it can helpful to RG wait list candidates

Edited by david143
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, david143 said:

Just for General info.
Calculation lapse start from November Month.

Year 2017 : 21 November 2017 Male
Year 2018 :
23 February 2018 Male

Year 2018: 12 December 2018 Male
Year 2019 :
03 April 2019 Male

Male:  21 November 2019 Male
Male: 11 February 2020 Male

This is year 2020
Male: 17 November 2020 Male + Kid Mix
Next Should to be in Mid OR End February 2021.

This is 3 year Calculation
Hope it can helpful to RG wait list candidates

You're just missing -for males-: 15 Aug 2019, 1 Avril 2020 and 26 Aug 2020 (me!, mixed).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

You're just missing -for males-: 15 Aug 2019, 1 Avril 2020 and 26 Aug 2020 (me!, mixed).

Yes i remembered 26/08 that was your RG Brother.

but i am trying to figure out after November. ????

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I am on Thai wife / kid, so I can also extend by another 2 months if required? 

Is this 2 months a norm or special for current covid circumstances? Just afraid that come March the "visa amnesty" will be scrapped by then and this 2 months extension option is off the table. 

On another related note, I recently moved but am still maintaining my name in tabien baan of old house. Should i wait till citizenship process is over before I move tabien baan? Or its ok to move. 

Thanks to all for recommendations and best of luck to all who have started on this wonderful journey. 

59 minutes ago, kst said:

I am on Thai wife / kid, so I can also extend by another 2 months if required? 

Is this 2 months a norm or special for current covid circumstances? Just afraid that come March the "visa amnesty" will be scrapped by then and this 2 months extension option is off the table. 

On another related note, I recently moved but am still maintaining my name in tabien baan of old house. Should i wait till citizenship process is over before I move tabien baan? Or its ok to move. 

Thanks to all for recommendations and best of luck to all who have started on this wonderful journey. 

Yes. You get 2 months which is not related to Covid. 

I believe you shouldn't move Housebook after doing the Oath, as David said. Best wait. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, david143 said:

Don't Move Tabien Ban to New address .
MOI sent letter to Registered Tabien Baan you gave at Oath Time.

1 member of this group changed and it took another 3 or 4 months to sort out the things.

What letter will MOI send and will a reply be needed? When will they send this?

Because I have moved so will need to keep a lookout for it..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes. You get 2 months which is not related to Covid. 

I believe you shouldn't move Housebook after doing the Oath, as David said. Best wait. 

Ok. Thank you for the kind info. 

Btw have you managed to get blue id yet?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kst said:

What letter will MOI send and will a reply be needed? When will they send this?

Because I have moved so will need to keep a lookout for it..

I got two letters from MOI, the first one was the appointment to MOI interview which funnily was handed to me on the same day of the MOI interview. The second one was the confirmation that I had been granted Thai citizenship and I had 60 days to complete the process from the time of RG publication, it was mailed to me few weeks after RG which was close to the time I was getting my ID card.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I got two letters from MOI, the first one was the appointment to MOI interview which funnily was handed to me on the same day of the MOI interview. The second one was the confirmation that I had been granted Thai citizenship and I had 60 days to complete the process from the time of RG publication, it was mailed to me few weeks after RG which was close to the time I was getting my ID card.

I've received no letters from the MOI. Did you need the letter when getting ID?

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

No, the certificate and letters from SB are enough. I think that one is just a formal notification of the result.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a time limit of 60 days to get the ID card. Do you know if it is after the RG is announced or after receiving the Naturalization certificate at SB?

On 12/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, Neeranam said:

I remember reading somewhere that there is a time limit of 60 days to get the ID card. Do you know if it is after the RG is announced or after receiving the Naturalization certificate at SB?

I did a post on this earlier. It's 60 days from RG to complete the remaining steps that include getting the certificate, getting registered and obtaining the ID card.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kwarium said:

The MOI will send... <snip>

I had to start the process at the Bangkok amphur office, then get a new yellow book in my wife’s province, then wait for the MOI to send a new document to the amphur in the province so that I could get my Thai ID. In all, it added about 2 months to my process, and two trips to the province while I was stll working in Bangkok.

Actually, iirc, the change of address in the yellow book delayed my process close to the original 60 day mark before I could get my Thai ID.

I know some folks are watching the process with great focus and details are important! I am not sure, but maybe getting a new MOI letter would have given me a new 60 day date? I did not receive a copy of the letter.

Cheers!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Application at Special Branch  - Dec 2017

National Intelligence Agency interview -  Jan 2018

Ministry of Interior interview -  Sep 2019

Oath -  July 2020

Royal Gazette announcement  - Nov 2020

Issue of Cert. of Naturalization - Dec 2020

Issue of ID card - Dec 2020.

All in all, 3 years from application to finishing the process. 

A very reasonable amount of time congrats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I am now a Thai citizen with my Thai national ID card????

I went to the khet in Bangkok with my friend(the owner of the house I am registered with). Everything went very smoothly, except we needed another witness. The registrar had told us we only needed one. However, a quick call to my friend's son and he was there in 10 minutes. My friend also couldn't find his ID but his driving license was accepted. 

I had quite a few forms to sign, and name put in Blue housebook then moved on to get the photo and ID issued. They never asked for my siblings' names but it was important if they were older or younger. 

A pleasant, happy experience. We started at 1.30 pm and were out at 2.45 pm. 

Thanks to all for help/motivation along the way, including the OP of this thread, which caught my attention a few years back. 

Oath -  July 2020

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Oath -  July 2020

Congratulations. Couldn't get a better Christmas/New Year's present. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I am now a Thai citizen with my Thai national ID card????

I went to the khet in Bangkok with my friend(the owner of the house I am registered with). Everything went very smoothly, except we needed another witness. The registrar had told us we only needed one. However, a quick call to my friend's son and he was there in 10 minutes. My friend also couldn't find his ID but his driving license was accepted. 

I had quite a few forms to sign, and name put in Blue housebook then moved on to get the photo and ID issued. They never asked for my siblings' names but it was important if they were older or younger. 

A pleasant, happy experience. We started at 1.30 pm and were out at 2.45 pm. 

Thanks to all for help/motivation along the way, including the OP of this thread, which caught my attention a few years back. 

Oath -  July 2020

Congratulations & best wishes on the begining of a new journey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1