Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

4 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

Here is a complete report of my experience in gaining Thai citizenship.  I just finished applying for my passport today.  I plan to stick around this forum to encourage others to push through to the end.  Thanks to all the forum regulars that stick around and gave encouragement as I went through the process.  All the best to everyone in the New Year!  I hope that many of you finally get your shiny blue ID card this year!

image.thumb.png.92fbe2807de97f2c2830d1277d2ec43b.png

Amazing detailed time-line.  Congratulations. 

What was the initial criteria for applying?

You have worked and paid tax here for +3 years?

What was the total cost?

Congrats Khongaeng!!

I wonder when the next RG announcement for next batch be? My visa ends in March.

Quick questions:- Do I need to renew my visa if name is published in RG / gotten naturalization cert but not Thai ID? 

And do I need to cancel my visa if its going to expire (but not expired)

Am asking because it looks like I will be cutting it close.... (Jan'20 MOI Interview Oct'20 Oath batch yet)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Amazing detailed time-line.  Congratulations. 

What was the initial criteria for applying?

You have worked and paid tax here for +3 years?

What was the total cost?

If you have a Thai spouse you will need 3 years of extensions of stay, min salary of 80,000 (40k if have thai family), pay taxes.

Other requirements that contribute to you having enough points would be your age, knowledge of the language / country, and scholastic abilities (degree, diploma etc). 

You will need to make a contribution to charity here that is not recent. 

If you have enough pts, you can file an application (cost 5,000 baht) with SB, and the journey as Khongaeng described so well begins. The officers at SB are a friendly bunch, you can just head down and have a chat with em to check whether you meet the prerequisites. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kst said:

Congrats Khongaeng!!

I wonder when the next RG announcement for next batch be? My visa ends in March.

Quick questions:- Do I need to renew my visa if name is published in RG / gotten naturalization cert but not Thai ID? 

Am asking because it looks like I will be cutting it close.... (Jan'20 MOI Interview Oct'20 Oath batch yet)

I am expecting next RG end of Jan or mid of Feb, my visa will also expire on 12 march if RG will publish in Feb Mid i will go with covid visa 2 months.

Lets hope for best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Here is a complete report of my experience in gaining Thai citizenship.  I just finished applying for my passport today.  I plan to stick around this forum to encourage others to push through to the end.  Thanks to all the forum regulars that stick around and gave encouragement as I went through the process.  All the best to everyone in the New Year!  I hope that many of you finally get your shiny blue ID card this year!

image.thumb.png.92fbe2807de97f2c2830d1277d2ec43b.png

Congratulations!!! Also useful for me; I still have to get my blue book in my home province. I just let my WP expire as the company that hired me has gone broke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kst said:

My immigration told me I needed to show them the blue housebook, the RG announcement was not enough. However, I think the certified RG with the Naturalization Cert. should be enough for  them, even if it is a temporary visa until you get the ID. Btw, when I went to immigration, I never had to show the housebook, just my ID and they said that I didn't need to cancel it, as it had expired(but I was the first they had ever done). I asked them to write something in my passport, which the boss did. On reflection, I think nothing would happen if I hadn't cancelled it but the imm. office is 5 minutes from my house so better to cover all bases for peace of mind, which I have now ???? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kst said:

If you have a Thai spouse you will need 3 years of extensions of stay, min salary of 80,000 (40k if have thai family), pay taxes.

As far as I know if is 40k baht baht for all applications. The only change for having children is that you may only need one year of extension and income.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know if is 40k baht baht for all applications. The only change for having children is that you may only need one year of extension and income.

I think 3 years of taxes with or without children. 

1 year extension based on marriage with children 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Marcati said:

My wife had to go to SB today to give them a copy of my renewed work permit.  While there they told her they still had not completed the investigation by visiting our home and they want to two interview two people as well. 

In early 2018, I got a shock as 3 dodgy looking guys were walking around my house. These were plain clothes cops, sent by the NIA. I live in Isarn, but applied from Bangkok. 

The hardest part of  a journey is the first step, you've taken it, all the best ???? 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, Marcati said:

I can't even begin to say how envious I am of all of you who have been fortunate enough to get your citizenship.  I have quite a way to go still on my journey.

At the end of 2020 I thought I had completed everything with the SB/NIA and was only waiting for my paperwork to be sent to the MOI.  The MOI did not want to take any more applications at the end of last year as they were trying to clear the backlog of other applicants (which makes sense).

My wife had to go to SB today to give them a copy of my renewed work permit.  While there they told her they still had not completed the investigation by visiting our home and they want to two interview two people as well. 

Not sure how many others have had to complete these two step before their paperwork was sent on to the MOI.

Appreciate the detailed input from everyone and the mutual encouragement to stay the course until the end ????

So I just received additional information.  It's amazing sometimes how many times you have to ask for details before you get the whole story 55555.

Last year SB sent the request to the Khet Police to do the investigation about our living arrangements and to verify the legitimacy of our marriage, etc.  They never responded back to the SB so now SB sent a follow-up and are pushing them to complete their portion so SB can send my package to the MOI.  They have requested I send two people who have known my wife and I well enough to interview with the police, and they showed us the document they sent to the Khet on what is the criteria.  I can't post the whole document as it's mostly my personal information; however, here is the criteria they are looking to review and verify (see attached)

Screenshot 2021-01-29 173906.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcati said:

So I just received additional information.  It's amazing sometimes how many times you have to ask for details before you get the whole story 55555.

Last year SB sent the request to the Khet Police to do the investigation about our living arrangements and to verify the legitimacy of our marriage, etc.  They never responded back to the SB so now SB sent a follow-up and are pushing them to complete their portion so SB can send my package to the MOI.  They have requested I send two people who have known my wife and I well enough to interview with the police, and they showed us the document they sent to the Khet on what is the criteria.  I can't post the whole document as it's mostly my personal information; however, here is the criteria they are looking to review and verify (see attached)

Screenshot 2021-01-29 173906.jpg

Hmm strange where in bkk are you? SB talked about visiting my wifes business when i applied probably because i was her employee. They never came to visit. 

As far as the police where my yellow book was that'd be a dead end because it was a rental that i never stayed in. 

I had my SB interview around June and was asked to bring the two guarantors whose names i had mentioned in the documents submitted. But when i explained that they are busy at work, i was allowed to get only signatures. The  NIA interview in August was at a rented coworking space in Phaholyothin area, no police check or home visit was required. I got a call from SB in Dec to be informed that all docs have been sent to MOI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saakura said:

I had my SB interview around June and was asked to bring the two guarantors whose names i had mentioned in the documents submitted. But when i explained that they are busy at work, i was allowed to get only signatures. The  NIA interview in August was at a rented coworking space in Phaholyothin area, no police check or home visit was required. I got a call from SB in Dec to be informed that all docs have been sent to MOI.

My NIA interview was in the same place also in August

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I just got my Thai passport and name put in the blue book for my house in Isarn, which was a simple process.

One thing I still have to do is to change my kids' birth certificates to show their father is Thai. This has to do with them applying for a new passport. 

Lovely keep it up

• Like 1

Just for the record, we never had anyone visit us at our home, nor were we asked to have guarantors show up at the NIA interview. In face, and I might be mistaken, I don't recall anything about guarantors at all. This was about 1.5 years ago? The NIA interview was very relaxed. We were interviewed by a male/female team. It soon became a conversation about everyone's kids and schools, etc. Quite friendly, as has been the case throughout the process.

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Just for the record, we never had anyone visit us at our home, nor were we asked to have guarantors show up at the NIA interview. In face, and I might be mistaken, I don't recall anything about guarantors at all. This was about 1.5 years ago? The NIA interview was very relaxed. We were interviewed by a male/female team. It soon became a conversation about everyone's kids and schools, etc. Quite friendly, as has been the case throughout the process.

I believe the only time you need to bring people to vouch is the initial steps at SB

On 2/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, qualtrough said:

Guarantors are required only at the time of initial SB interview. It has been a part of the legal requirement and i dont think it is something newly introduced.

11 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

You also need Thai witnesses (20+ years old I think) on the day your ID card gets issued. In my case it was my wife with another family member.

My witnesses were the owner of the house I was registered at and his son(aged 18). I had heard it was 20.