BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Juat learned from Special Branch that the Ministry of Interior now requires applicants to sing the National and Royal Anthems from memory without looking at cheat sheets and they are also more serious about singing them right without mistakes in the words or the notes and knowing the meaning. The good news, however, is that, if you are married to a Thai national, you no longer have to sing them at all or do the Thai language tests at Police HQ or the Interior.

Juat learned from Special Branch that the Ministry of Interior now requires applicants to sing the National and Royal Anthems from memory without looking at cheat sheets and they are also more serious about singing them right without mistakes in the words or the notes and knowing the meaning. The good news, however, is that, if you are married to a Thai national, you no longer have to sing them at all or do the Thai language tests at Police HQ or the Interior.

good. Now if we can just get them to process my wife's application we can put all this uncertainty behind us!

Arkady, has there been anything published on this or is "word of mouth" communication from the Special Branch?

Arkady, has there been anything published on this or is "word of mouth" communication from the Special Branch?

I would also be interested to know whether this is word of mouth or not.

Given the extraordinary delay in approvals for PR, I assume that many of us who applied for PR 3-4 years ago would now be eligible for citizenship; certainly the applicants with a Thai spouse, especially given that most of us would have either been on a relevant extension of stay or tabien baan for more than 5 years.

With the current naturalization guidelines, are we eligible or not?

Many thanks!

The advice re the singing is only word of mouth from Special Branch. If there is anything at all published on this topic it is not for external consumption. While the nationality law has become slightly more liberal, the ministry's external guidelines have got significantly tougher. It will be interesting to see if the latest guideline emphasing the need for 5 years with PR will be adhered to, particularly when and if the the backlog of PR applications is cleared. Although they all helpful and friendly I have found that Special Branch can sometimes give contradictory advice on the same topic in the space of a few weeks. This could be due to shifting attitudes being signalled from the ministry or just different interpretations. Think you just have to try to apply and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Things could change from month to month anyway, given the lack of scrutability at the Interior Ministry which applies to Thais as well as foreigners.

Thanks Arkady. I've passed all the other tests over a period of years but have never got around to doing the karaoke part. If I knew it had been dropped I would reactivate my application.

Not having to sing may save some nervous energy, assuming there is no backtrack on this, specially if crib sheets are no longer permitted, but the whole process still seems to eliminate by default those without reasonably good Thai. The police will ask you to read something in formal Thai out aloud to assess your reading abililty and they emphasise that they and the Interior Ministry will only deal with the applicant, if they want to phone i.e. they won't talk to a secretary or a wife, not to mention the interviews that are in Thai without an interpreter. I can't imagine Western countries conducting citizenship interviews in Thai, although I believe the process can now be done in Spanish in the US.

I would also be interested to know whether this is word of mouth or not.

Given the extraordinary delay in approvals for PR, I assume that many of us who applied for PR 3-4 years ago would now be eligible for citizenship; certainly the applicants with a Thai spouse, especially given that most of us would have either been on a relevant extension of stay or tabien baan for more than 5 years.

With the current naturalization guidelines, are we eligible or not?

Many thanks!

As per my post above, they seem to look more about when you first came to Thailand on your non-imB ( watching them flick through the documents ). Best answer to this question is just give them the documents, and they will tell you. They are quite nice so go ask them.

I was told :

If number start with #3 means Thai by birth

If number start with #5 means for those born in the hilltribes and registered in Thai hospital for birth cert.

If number start with #8 means for those transfer of citizenship. So far, I only seen transfer of citizenship for those long term hilltribe immigrants.

Can you please tell us what is your the first number on your Thai ID card?

I've got a 5 at the beginning of my Thai ID number. And yes, I'm an overseas born Thai national.

My Daughter, born here while not having an ID card yet (she is only a baby), the first number of her ID is a '1'. This may or may not change when she grows up ang gets her ID card.

With PR - your 13 digit number starts with a #8

The 13 digit PR number IS your Thai ID Card number - it just has not been activated yet until you receive citizenship. I always use this number on official forms instead of my passport number.

I sit waiting patiently for my letter from the Interior Ministry. Luckily, I have not been holding my breath!

The 13 digit PR number IS your Thai ID Card number - it just has not been activated yet until you receive citizenship. I always use this number on official forms instead of my passport number.

I sit waiting patiently for my letter from the Interior Ministry. Luckily, I have not been holding my breath!

Selection of Thai Name:

I am supposed to select thai name.......... i heard some where now you can keep your same name, just in thai lettering, and others tell me it has to be a Thai Thai name i.e. Somchai Nattakul or something to that effect.

Any one know the rules now?

Selection of Thai Name:

I am supposed to select thai name.......... i heard some where now you can keep your same name, just in thai lettering, and others tell me it has to be a Thai Thai name i.e. Somchai Nattakul or something to that effect.

Some say you can use your foreign name while others say you can't. It might depend on province and Amphur.

I've applied in August 2009 and was requested to select a Thai name. It wasn't an easy task as it had to be a non-existing Thai surname. The first time, each of the four chosen surnames were rejected by the Amphur. The second time, a new surname was accepted and registred at the Amphur. With the letter of registration I went back to the Police HQ for further proceedings.

Edited by aidenai

Selection of Thai Name:

Some say you can use your foreign name while others say you can't. It might depend on province and Amphur.

I've applied in August 2009 and was requested to select a Thai name. It wasn't an easy task as it had to be a non-existing Thai surname. The first time, each of the four chosen surnames were rejected by the Amphur. The second time, a new surname was accepted and registred at the Amphur. With the letter of registration I went back to the Police HQ for further proceedings.

Thanks - Thats good advice. As the wife might end up using the same surname, might be good to get her view :)