BANGKOK 23 February 2019 23:34
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

The people we saw at the interview last month (100% Indian/Chinese/Taiwan and Farang me) had all waited 2-3 years.  You should get a call from SB to say that the documents have moved to MOI.  Suggest that you try the number of the officer at the Police HQ who filed your case.  Did you pay an 'expedition fee' by chance, or just the 5,100 Baht filing fee?

2-3 years from initial application to MOI sounds longer that others I've heard of.

I never paid an expedition fee, that I remember.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

2-3 years from initial application to MOI sounds longer that others I've heard of.

It sounds correct to me: If we add 2-3 years + 1 year after MOI interview needed to get the approval and complete ID steps, we get 3-4 years in total process which is what has been reported by recent applicants (on average).

• Like 1

Basically, the expedition fee gets the documents off the SB filing shelf and into the MOI.

Edited by bkk_bwana
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

About 13 months for me from initial application at SB to MOI interview. 

This 'expedition fee' sounds like something under the table.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 10:24 PM, Arkady said:

Applicants for naturalisation under Section 10, whether male or female, are required to submit a document from their district office confirming that they have reserved a Thai name which nowadays they have the option but no longer the obligation to assume when they obtain Thai nationality. Women applying to adopt their husbands' Thai nationality under Section 9, which is not considered as naturalisation, are not required to reserve a Thai name.

I have a question regarding this Thai name.

Has anyone kept the Thai name but also kept their original passports? I could imagine that their would be a problem to renew your US/UK or whatever passport if you have no Thai visa in it.  

On 1/6/2016 at 9:40 AM, GarryP said:

I have managed to locate the latest version of the flow chart posted below. It can be found at the BORA website.

You may also be interested in the flowchart on the Special Branch website located at the following link: http://www.sbpolice.go.th/filedownload/7_06062553.pdf

post-19515-0-93826200-1452048003_thumb.p

Extremely useful, thanks!

8 hours ago, Rugon said:

Extremely useful, thanks!

I've never seen that chart. Looks out of date and very hard to understand.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, Neeranam said:

I've never seen that chart. Looks out of date and very hard to understand.

I think that is the same chart I was shown when I inquired about citizenship in Chiangmai a couple years ago.

I have kept my US passport in my original name. My Thai passport is in my Thai name. I have applied for and received new US passports at US Citizen Services twice since obtaining Thai citizenship. Zero question, zero problem. They don’t care less if you have a Thai entry stamp or visa in your passport whatsoever, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

I have kept my US passport in my original name. My Thai passport is in my Thai name. I have applied for and received new US passports at US Citizen Services twice since obtaining Thai citizenship. Zero question, zero problem. They don’t care less if you have a Thai entry stamp or visa in your passport whatsoever, apparently.

I am just wondering in what name your ticket is. In order to be admitted to the US, it must be in your original name. But when you leave Thailand, you show your Thai passport, which shows a different name than the boarding pass you also have to show to the immigration officer. Does the discrepancy not raise eyebrows? We read earlier in this thread that you should not show your foreign passport to the Thai immigration officers.

• Like 2

I am just wondering in what name your ticket is. In order to be admitted to the US, it must be in your original name. But when you leave Thailand, you show your Thai passport, which shows a different name than the boarding pass you also have to show to the immigration officer. Does the discrepancy not raise eyebrows? We read earlier in this thread that you should not show your foreign passport to the Thai immigration officers.

The ticket is in my original name, and I use my US passport to check in at the airline counter. Then I use my Thai passport to pass through the electronic turnstiles. Then back to the US passport to board the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

The ticket is in my original name, and I use my US passport to check in at the airline counter. Then I use my Thai passport to pass through the electronic turnstiles. Then back to the US passport to board the plane.

I see, this makes sense. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you have time, could you list the advantages of keeping two names. And, any disadvantages.

34 minutes ago, Rugon said:

If you have time, could you list the advantages of keeping two names. And, any disadvantages.

Is it actually legal when travelling to have two identities, especially in this world of strict terrorism checks?

What about updating bank accounts,etc.