Jump to content
BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

There’s a very good reason to leave existing accounts as they are and open new accounts as a Thai: my “foreigner” bank account with Bangkok Bank allows online transfers to my account in the US as “salary repatriation” with just a couple keystrokes, making it very, very easy to transfer money overseas. Change the account to Thai nationality, and that is cut off. So I left it as is and just opened other ones as a Thai.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

Very strange. My Bangkok Bank account that I opened with my Thai ID allows foreign transfers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Very strange. My Bangkok Bank account that I opened with my Thai ID allows foreign transfers. 

Without any documentation? As a foreigner, I can transfer as much as my yearly salary (there are some more restrictions) online to my accounts overseas just by clicking and using "salary repatriation" as the purpose of transfer. Can Thai citizens do the same?

 

This is an interesting subthread. Not being able to transfer money abroad easily would make me reconsider applying for citizenship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

This is an interesting subthread. Not being able to transfer money abroad easily would make me reconsider applying for citizenship

A sub thread of that- Siam Commercial bank are using XRP for foreign remittances.

Digital assets,  ie cryptocurrencies have done and are doing away with old fashioned money transfers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Without any documentation?

Picture1.png.0a96ed5cd6dcdc857bff55783826e6fc.pngOnly my Thai ID card that I used to open the account, and again to apply for the foreign remittance facility. Once set up can send up to USD 250k per year from their online banking site. Above is a screenshot from Bangkok Bank website. Worked for me at SCB too - Thais have freedom to choose more reasons.....Picture2.png.0655d096edce08231d08f4612d4d1f20.png

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Only my Thai ID card that I used to open the account, and again to apply for the foreign remittance facility. Once set up can send up to USD 250k per year from their online banking site. Above is a screenshot from Bangkok Bank website. Worked for me at SCB too.

Thanks; I thought it is so difficult for Thai people to transfer money out. I guess I was mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks; I thought it is so difficult for Thai people to transfer money out. I guess I was mistaken.

SCB screebshot added to my post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

SCB screebshot added to my post

I am not familiar with all of the purposes, but for those that I do know, I believe you need documentation. That includes family support, education, payment for goods and services. Can "personal expenses" be transferred without documentation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Can "personal expenses" be transferred without documentation?

Yes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, roulax said:

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

I will suggest you take your wife to Special Branch Office Bangkok and arrange all documents by yourself,

Fees Request Nationality is only 5000THB

 

Maybe there will be a little Tea amount for Staff in SB.

 

Documents are not difficult to arrange, just follow the instructions, SB officer, and here you go in que.

 

don't hire any lawyer or Firm ,  you will only pay to them useless, same policy and documents you have to arrange EVEN YOU GO DIRECT SB OFFICE OR give to firm.

I suggest you TAKE YOUR WIFE TO SPECIAL BRANCH HEADQUARTER SIAM STATION BANGKOK.

 

Discuss your case with officer,

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roulax said:

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

I cant help with a lawyer but will say you will still be doing the work because the lawyer cant aquire the documents you need. SB will be the best lawyer and basically free

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roulax said:

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

What did the lawyer say he would do for that price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all for your answers.I know that I will have to get all documents by myself.

 

 I am just looking at a facilitator in BKK as I have no time to take days and days off to take care of this, as I am based in Rayong.

I just wanted to have someone to facilitate the gathering of documents, get there at SB on the day of application and maybe support in case any additional were missing first.

I would like to avoid to make several trips to the SB because small documents are missing every time, this is why I am looking at this kind of service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, roulax said:

Thank you to all for your answers.I know that I will have to get all documents by myself.

 

 I am just looking at a facilitator in BKK as I have no time to take days and days off to take care of this, as I am based in Rayong.

I just wanted to have someone to facilitate the gathering of documents, get there at SB on the day of application and maybe support in case any additional were missing first.

I would like to avoid to make several trips to the SB because small documents are missing every time, this is why I am looking at this kind of service.

You are going to have to come to Bangkok to get your documents anyway as you can't authorize others to get them for you (assuming you are based on a house registration in Bangkok). Also, the interviews with SB and NIA are in Bangkok too and the final interview before the main committee is in Pathumthani. So even if you hire someone, you will still need to come and do most of the work yourself. Perhaps they could do the translation stuff for you. But you are being scammed if they are charging 0.5m Baht. 

 

BTW SB will give you a list of all the documents you need. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roulax said:

Thank you to all for your answers.I know that I will have to get all documents by myself.

 

 I am just looking at a facilitator in BKK as I have no time to take days and days off to take care of this, as I am based in Rayong.

I just wanted to have someone to facilitate the gathering of documents, get there at SB on the day of application and maybe support in case any additional were missing first.

I would like to avoid to make several trips to the SB because small documents are missing every time, this is why I am looking at this kind of service.

I thought that I was too busy and worried about time taken off, and I live 7 hours drive away.

The last time I went to Bangkok was for the NIA interview 15 months ago and on a Saturday! Before that, I only had to go about 5 times in total. It's not that many days of work.

Hopefully only 3 more days to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...