Jump to content
BANGKOK 16 June 2019 04:35
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Recommended Posts

On 4/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, Big Guns said:

Finally I received a phone call from a person at SCB to say that prompt pay was for Thai people only and I wasn't Thai I'd only changed nationality.

Personally, I'd put this on social media, and formally complain to the bank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Citizenship is based on a points system.  Having a yellow book is not on the list of requisites. For the sake of a couple of trips to Bangkok, which you have to do anyway, there is no use in trying to beat the system.  Don't underestimate how much they know about you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Personally, I'd put this on social media, and formally complain to the bank.

 

To register for Prompt Pay you need a 13 digit ID number.  Nothing to do with nationality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

  Having a yellow book is not on the list of requisites. 

Yes, it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

To register for Prompt Pay you need a 13 digit ID number.  Nothing to do with nationality.

I am registered for Prompt Pay without a ID number. I have Bangkok Bank accounts and registered when it first started to keep them from bugging me about doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, Big Guns said:

Finally I received a phone call from a person at SCB to say that prompt pay was for Thai people only and I wasn't Thai I'd only changed nationality. 

I registered Prompt pay with SCB without any problems, so it sounds like you have encountered one ignorant employee making up an excuse, rather than a bank policy. If people hesitate when I exercise my rights as a Thai, (which very seldom happens) I explain ever so politely, and with reverence, that his Majesty King Bhumibol very graciously approved my Thai citizenship by signing it into law. I like to see their blood boil when I tell them that this means I am legally no different from them, and that we are all subordinate to the law and have no choice but to obey it. Works for me though, and they do what they have to do.

 

Either raise hell with the employee's manager or just open another account using your Thai ID. Takes just a few minutes. I actually converted all my bank accounts into Thai ones by showing my Thai ID as a replacement for my British passport that was used to open them.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Citizenship is based on a points system.  Having a yellow book is not on the list of requisites. For the sake of a couple of trips to Bangkok, which you have to do anyway, there is no use in trying to beat the system.  Don't underestimate how much they know about you!

Points is only one of the many requirements. If they don't require a yellow book from you i guess you are lucky. I believe everyone here that has applied needed a book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Points is only one of the many requirements. If they don't require a yellow book from you i guess you are lucky. I believe everyone here that has applied needed a book. 

Yes, I was informed that I could not apply without one. I no longer have the document list, but it was definitely listed there. 

Just found a list on the Special Branch website and posted it below. I accept no responsibility for the content.

 

Tasks to acquire Thai nationality

Tel : 02-205-1901  , 02-252-1714

Documents that are required when applying for Thai nationality

1

Five (5) copies of the Alien Book (every page that has information recorded)

2

Five (5) copies of the Certificate of Residence (every page that has information recorded)

3

Five (5) copies of the Work Permit (every page that has information recorded)

4

Five (5) copies of the House Registration for the whole family (Applicant, partner and  any children)

5

Five (5) copies of the  Passport , including old Passports  (every page that has information recorded)

6

Twelve (12) Photohraps, 2x2.5 showing the applicant dressed politely (Males dressed in suit

 

with necktie and Females dressed politely )

7

Five (5) copies of the Marriage Registration (Translated into Thai in case of foreign language)

8

Proof of Money Deposit in the bank of certificate from the bank that money has been

 

deposited (Should not be less than 80,000 Baht)

9

Proof of Charity Donation (Not less than 5,000 Baht and the money should be donation

 

long time ago and not just in time to support the citizenship application)

10

Proof of filling Personal Income Tax  (PND 91)  for the applicant during the 3 previous years.

 

Has to be certified and stamped bye the Revenue Department  Please note that if the application

 

is filed in the beginning of the year, you have to wait until around March to get the PND 91 for

 

the previous year.

11

One(1) copy of  Proof of Company Registration for the commercial establishment where the

 

the applicant working, such as Affidavit Licenses Certificate of Company Registration,List of

 

Shareholders , Value-Added Tax Registration Certificate(PP20) and other related documents

12

Copy of Corporate Tax (PND50)for the previous 3 years in the case the applicant has shares in a

.

limited liability company or partnership. Please note that if the application is file in the beginning of the

 

year, then you have to wait until around March to get the PND 50 for the previous year.

 

the previous year.

13

Letter of Employment that state position of the applicant in accordance with the work permit and

.

monthly salary in accordance with filed taxes for the year the application is filed, from the company

 

the applicant working. The Letter must be signed by an authorized person in the Companny

14

Two (2) copies of the Personal ID Card or Alien book of the married partner

15

One(1) copy of Children's Birth  Certificate.if the applicant has change names or surnames

 

document elating to these must  also be provided. Evidence of Education for each child.

16

One(1) copy of Personal IDCard and House Registration for (2)grantor who guarantee

 

the applicant's behavior and assets (2 persons that are not relatives )

17

Certificate of Legal Age according to the laws in the applicants country of origin (Certified by

 

Embassy or Consult ). Translated to Thai.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

To register for Prompt Pay you need a 13 digit ID number.  Nothing to do with nationality.

Or a phone number.  Although I expect that would not work for tax rebates.

Edited by jacko45k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GarryP said:

Yes, I was informed that I could not apply without one. I no longer have the document list, but it was definitely listed there. 

Just found a list on the Special Branch website and posted it below. I accept no responsibility for the content.

 

Tasks to acquire Thai nationality

Tel : 02-205-1901  , 02-252-1714

Documents that are required when applying for Thai nationality

1

Five (5) copies of the Alien Book (every page that has information recorded)

2

Five (5) copies of the Certificate of Residence (every page that has information recorded)

3

Five (5) copies of the Work Permit (every page that has information recorded)

4

Five (5) copies of the House Registration for the whole family (Applicant, partner and  any children)

5

Five (5) copies of the  Passport , including old Passports  (every page that has information recorded)

6

Twelve (12) Photohraps, 2x2.5 showing the applicant dressed politely (Males dressed in suit

 

with necktie and Females dressed politely )

7

Five (5) copies of the Marriage Registration (Translated into Thai in case of foreign language)

8

Proof of Money Deposit in the bank of certificate from the bank that money has been

 

deposited (Should not be less than 80,000 Baht)

9

Proof of Charity Donation (Not less than 5,000 Baht and the money should be donation

 

long time ago and not just in time to support the citizenship application)

10

Proof of filling Personal Income Tax  (PND 91)  for the applicant during the 3 previous years.

 

Has to be certified and stamped bye the Revenue Department  Please note that if the application

 

is filed in the beginning of the year, you have to wait until around March to get the PND 91 for

 

the previous year.

11

One(1) copy of  Proof of Company Registration for the commercial establishment where the

 

the applicant working, such as Affidavit Licenses Certificate of Company Registration,List of

 

Shareholders , Value-Added Tax Registration Certificate(PP20) and other related documents

12

Copy of Corporate Tax (PND50)for the previous 3 years in the case the applicant has shares in a

.

limited liability company or partnership. Please note that if the application is file in the beginning of the

 

year, then you have to wait until around March to get the PND 50 for the previous year.

 

the previous year.

13

Letter of Employment that state position of the applicant in accordance with the work permit and

.

monthly salary in accordance with filed taxes for the year the application is filed, from the company

 

the applicant working. The Letter must be signed by an authorized person in the Companny

14

Two (2) copies of the Personal ID Card or Alien book of the married partner

15

One(1) copy of Children's Birth  Certificate.if the applicant has change names or surnames

 

document elating to these must  also be provided. Evidence of Education for each child.

16

One(1) copy of Personal IDCard and House Registration for (2)grantor who guarantee

 

the applicant's behavior and assets (2 persons that are not relatives )

17

Certificate of Legal Age according to the laws in the applicants country of origin (Certified by

 

Embassy or Consult ). Translated to Thai.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting list.  It has certainly changed since I applied.  I guess like all these things to do with immigration, the rules and guidelines change all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or a phone number.  Although I expect that would not work for tax rebates.

Interesting.  Since the Prompt Pay is linked to your bank account it should work for tax rebates too.... but who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bkk_bwana said:

Interesting.  Since the Prompt Pay is linked to your bank account it should work for tax rebates too.... but who knows?

I recently did a tax rebate (my first) and found a bank worker who spoke really great English. I asked why I could not get the refund paid via Promptpay (which I had with another bank) and he said it was only for Thais. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following Garry's post I visited SB's website and noticed that all the details to do with applying for citizenship, including the guidelines have been taken taken down.  All that is left is an Excel file listing the required documents in unspellchecked English, e.g. "Twelve (12) Photohraps, 2x2.5". The file is named in English "Tasks to acquire Thai nationality" in the website and upon saving it the name appears as "คำแนะนำ-ภาษาอังกฤษ" or "Guidelines - English", implying that it is taken from a larger guidelines file that is not posted in its entirety.

 

Most interestingly, the document that was item 17 in the 2009 list is omitted from the current list.  That is "17. Affidavit from applicant’s embassy or consulate in Thailand that demonstrates the applicant’s intention to renounce his current nationality when his application for Thai nationality is approved." Is there any significance to this omission I wonder, or was it just another error along with the copious spelling mistakes that indicate particularly slipshod work?  All the other points are effectively the same as the previous list with some slight differences in wording and enumeration.

 

BTW a house registration book has always been required to apply for nationality. If you are a permanent resident, it is a blue book. Otherwise it is a yellow book.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...