BANGKOK 20 July 2019 12:52
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Yes

7 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Congrats ! did you have your MOI interview in July last year ? 

thanks. yes around June/July last year. 

13 hours ago, david143 said:

Congratulations
10 months after interview from MOI .
how long do you wait for Interview call, After NIA interview.

It was around 2 years. I think around 1 year 9 or 10 months. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, echrist said:

It was around 2 years. I think around 1 year 9 or 10 months. 

many congratulations.

Was your name in the most recent published announcement? Or is there some kind of long gap between that and taking the oath?

Edited by kiwiaussie

3 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

many congratulations.

Was your name in the most recent published announcement? Or is there some kind of long gap between that and taking the oath?

thank you.  names for those who are granted Thai citizenship are published in the RG after taking the oath. I'm assuming my name will be published sometime in the next 3 to 4 months.  

On 5/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, danielcondo said:

Any updates lately ? seems like things have slowed down due to the coronation ceremony , file has been at the Royal department for 2-3 months now and still no word, from my understanding there's no way of knowing how long it will take , could take a month, could take a year and i guess the only way to find out is when they release the royal gazette with new citizens names? correct me if im wrong.

Daniel can I ask when you did the NIA interview? I seem to remember it was around the same time as myself, Jan 2018.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:15 PM, echrist said:

I just took the oath this week. It took around 10 months from MOI to oath. I was told that I would be able to get my ID in about 3 to 4 months. 

Congratulations.

Did you have to show a work permit at the oath stage? 

Do you have to be working?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Congratulations.

Did you have to show a work permit at the oath stage? 

Do you have to be working?

I was told to bring it along with my passport and house registration book. The officer didn't look at my work permit, however. Nobody asked if I was still working. My WP stayed on the desk while he made copies of my passport and house registration. As it turned out, I probably didn't need to bring it. I was told to bring it to the MOI interview, but nobody asked to see it there either. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 2:33 PM, Neeranam said:

Daniel can I ask when you did the NIA interview? I seem to remember it was around the same time as myself, Jan 2018.

Yes it was around the same time

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, echrist said:

I was told to bring it along with my passport and house registration book. The officer didn't look at my work permit, however. Nobody asked if I was still working. My WP stayed on the desk while he made copies of my passport and house registration. As it turned out, I probably didn't need to bring it. I was told to bring it to the MOI interview, but nobody asked to see it there either. 

I was wondering, as alot of naturalized Thai's prefer to keep their english names, on their Thai ID cards is their name written in Thai as well ? im guessing they follow the spelling as per your application and previous documents such as work permit and yellow book / Tabien Baan,  either way considering its not a Thai name and a person would probably not look Thai by face, its bound to get some suspecious stares and maybe even questions, i had a friend who was half thai and didn't look Thai at all go to a club ( some clubs charge an entrance fee only for foreigners ) and gave the bouncers his Thai ID, the bouncers told him to go pay the cover charge as they said he's not Thai, how in the heck is a person with a Thai ID card not Thai ? most of these people don't even know the legalities of the matter, anyhow they got into a big arguement and he ended up not going in. Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, danielcondo said:

I was wondering, as alot of naturalized Thai's prefer to keep their english names, on their Thai ID cards is their name written in Thai as well ? im guessing they follow the spelling as per your application and previous documents such as work permit and yellow book / Tabien Baan,  either way considering its not a Thai name and a person would probably not look Thai by face, its bound to get some suspecious stares and maybe even questions, i had a friend who was half thai and didn't look Thai at all go to a club ( some clubs charge an entrance fee only for foreigners ) and gave the bouncers his Thai ID, the bouncers told him to go pay the cover charge as they said he's not Thai, how in the heck is a person with a Thai ID card not Thai ? most of these people don't even know the legalities of the matter, anyhow they got into a big arguement and he ended up not going in. Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights 🙂

Not encountered this so far. I kept my English name and it is written in Thai and English on my ID card like all other Thais. 

Keep a copy of the letter with the King’s signature on it in your wallet, and tell them to call the palace if they have a problem with your Thainess. Works like a charm. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Keep a copy of the letter with the King’s signature on it in your wallet, and tell them to call the palace if they have a problem with your Thainess.

Wish I had been given such a document back in 2016. 

21 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights

You will always will be a foreigner but one who obtained Thai citizenship. For official purposes you can claim Thai rates such as entrance fees in national parks etc. However in purchasing something they might 'overcharge' you.

PS: I have never had this experience, but I don’t often go to tourist places.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect