BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

One question brother.

After interview done with MOI , how long have to wait for oath ceremony @ SB.

I mean duration of wait after interview done with MOI and how SB contact for Oath.

Thanks in advance

EChrist congratulations brother. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, david143 said:

One question brother.

After interview done with MOI , how long have to wait for oath ceremony @ SB.

I mean duration of wait after interview done with MOI and how SB contact for Oath.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It was about 11 months from MOI to oath. They called me by phone to come in for the oath. 

On 8/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, echrist said:

It was about 11 months from MOI to oath. They called me by phone to come in for the oath. 

Wow, did they say why it was so long? I thought out as 6 months max.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is everybody so impatient? If you are here for good, why does it matter whether the process takes a few months or a year longer? - My PR took 6 years from application to finally getting it, so the citizenship application process appears to be a lot faster anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Everything is processed in batches (interviewed people approved by the committee, files sent to the Prime Minister, files sent to the Palace, people approved back to SB) and I believe they are grouped by 3-4 months each. Assuming SB does the same for the oath, it’s easy to see that for some the fluctuation is already several months longer or shorter depending when you stand. Also, since each case is unique and it’s not a first-in first-out process, every time you miss a batch in any of these steps is adding extra months to your timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Excuse my ignorance, but why is everybody so impatient? If you are here for good, why does it matter whether the process takes a few months or a year longer? - My PR took 6 years from application to finally getting it, so the citizenship application process appears to be a lot faster anyway.

If for reasons beyond your control you lose your job and do not have a new job to which you can move immediately so there is little or no break between jobs, i.e you maintain a work permit, you may cease to qualify and all that waiting is meaningless.  You are supposed to maintain a work permit through the whole process. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

In my situation, I'm in a job that I totally hate, every day is a nightmare, partially brought on by them telling me I'd receive a cut in salary if I become Thai. I'd like to keep it until the MOI interview, as it is looks better working for a long time in a government university.

I don't need the money and the faster I can take the better. 

If I were a bit younger, and in a job I liked,  I wouldn't care about the time are all, but working for people who despise/envy you is not nice.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

If for reasons beyond your control you lose your job and do not have a new job to which you can move immediately so there is little or no break between jobs, i.e you maintain a work permit, you may cease to qualify and all that waiting is meaningless.  You are supposed to maintain a work permit through the whole process. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In my situation, I'm in a job that I totally hate, every day is a nightmare, partially brought on by them telling me I'd receive a cut in salary if I become Thai. I'd like to keep it until the MOI interview, as it is looks better working for a long time in a government university.

If I were a bit younger, and in a job I liked,  I wouldn't care about the time are all, but working for people who despise/envy you is not nice.

I see. I have PR, so I don't worry about staying here, but I was not aware that you have to actually maintain the same work permit from application until completion. I thought you really only need it at time of application (which was the case with the PR). Then it makes sense to want to get it completed as quickly as possible, thanks for the replies.

I am lucky though as the company I work for is my own, so I am not worried about losing the job.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Can I assume you meet the minimum salary requirement of 40,000 baht per month?? thanks.

Nèeranam I feel for you as I had a good job I loved at an International school before I became Thai. They tried to change the terms & conditions& they cant. Under labour law fiems can't change terms, pay or not renew contracts. If they do they owe severance. I forced a British International school to pay severance for 10 years employment after they change terms when I became Thai. Don't worry

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thequietman said:

Can I assume you meet the minimum salary requirement of 40,000 baht per month?? thanks.

Yes.

• Thanks 1