Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

16 hours ago, Tylor said:

On a more positive note, new RG publication was loaded online in the evening and my name is on it, have a lot of other male applicants on there as well. I guess i am officially Thai from today 🙂

Congratulations. Nice to hear it can be reasonably fast.

So now you go to SB to get your letter and then to get your ID?

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, For those who are interested, the application process for Thai Citizenship in my case went as follows: Late 2003 - Picked up the checklist from the Police Headquarters on Rama 1 Road Janu

Loads of names published in the RG today and I am one them! Exactly 3 months to the day since taking the oath 😀

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons ! If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as u

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Big Guns said:

No its crazy but you can't join the army, police or be an MP. Thai citizens with a foreign parent also can't join the police or armed forces.

Well there go my political aspirations 🙂

I've known many Look Kreungs that had to do the Thai military lottery, or pay to get out if it. Is this a new law? 

I know there have been politicians who had foreign parents, perhaps Mr. Condom, 

Mechai Viravaidya, who had a Scots mother, being the most famous.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well there go my political aspirations 🙂

I've known many Look Kreungs that had to do the Thai military lottery, or pay to get out if it. Is this a new law? 

I know there have been politicians who had foreign parents, perhaps Mr. Condom, 

Mechai Viravaidya, who had a Scots mother, being the most famous.

Luk Kreungs can still be conscripted. However, it is my understanding that they are barred from officer training school, both police and army so cannot become officers. There is also the matter of national security (a bit of a joke really). 

Perhaps it depends on whether your mother or father was Thai as to the possibility of becoming an MP.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Luk Kreungs can still be conscripted. However, it is my understanding that they are barred from officer training school, both police and army so cannot become officers. There is also the matter of national security (a bit of a joke really). 

Perhaps it depends on whether your mother or father was Thai as to the possibility of becoming an MP.   

What if the father is a naturalized Thai and the mother Thai by birth? The birth certificate would show both mother and father as being Thai.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, echrist said:

What if the father is a naturalized Thai and the mother Thai by birth? The birth certificate would show both mother and father as being Thai.

I am not sure on that one. I only know about the luk kreung matter because my son was at one time interested in joining the police and we found out he was barred from officer training college. In fact many moons back there was a thread on this very subject, but I have been unable to find it. Maybe a call to admissions at the Royal Police Cadet Academy in Sam Pran Nakorn Pathom could help answer your questions as far as the police is concerned. But no idea on the part of the military.  

• Thanks 1

That is weird, because the son of a friend who lived here many years (half American) went into the Thai army at officer level. Can't double check as I have lost contact with him but pretty sure on that. My son was approached to go into local politics, it's not like they were unaware he was half British! At the moment he is too busy and like his sister, reckons Thailand is too much of a basket case to salvage!

• Like 2

Well there goes my plan on joining the army or becoming PM one day 😂 i guess im just gonna have to stick with being an average citizen , jokes apart though i understand how they might not be ok with letting a naturalized Thai run for office or join the armed forces, but for luk kruengs its extremely odd to hear that they are not allowed to either.

• Like 1

Wondering if i still have to be on guard about the TM 30 😂 technically i am Thai after my name was printed in the RG, also read some folks before me didn't bother doing their reporting after their names were printed, however just curious that if the Immigration officers decided to pay me a visit this week they would be going back with empty pockets or not lol

On 11/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, GarryP said:

I am not sure on that one. I only know about the luk kreung matter because my son was at one time interested in joining the police and we found out he was barred from officer training college. In fact many moons back there was a thread on this very subject, but I have been unable to find it. Maybe a call to admissions at the Royal Police Cadet Academy in Sam Pran Nakorn Pathom could help answer your questions as far as the police is concerned. But no idea on the part of the military.  

yeah, my understanding is that if the father is a foreigner, it rules you out of officer level positions.

They tried back in the late 1990s to have different quantification for potential PM's with foreign fathers as well. I think needing a masters degree instead of a bachelors ones one of them. Surprisingly, the constitutional overturned it ruling it to be discriminatory.  As far as I know, any Thai citizen can run for parliament.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, samran said:

yeah, my understanding is that if the father is a foreigner, it rules you out of officer level positions.

They tried back in the late 1990s to have different quantification for potential PM's with foreign fathers as well. I think needing a masters degree instead of a bachelors ones one of them. Surprisingly, the constitutional overturned it ruling it to be discriminatory.  As far as I know, any Thai citizen can run for parliament.

Having said that, earlier this year my son applied to be an immigration officer and my former citizenship was not an issue.  He did not make the cut for another reason. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tylor said:

Wondering if i still have to be on guard about the TM 30 😂 technically i am Thai after my name was printed in the RG, also read some folks before me didn't bother doing their reporting after their names were printed, however just curious that if the Immigration officers decided to pay me a visit this week they would be going back with empty pockets or not lol

Did you have PR before citizenship?  If so you are exempt from TM30 filing anyway.  Your name is announced, you are Thai, print out a copy of the announcement if in doubt and hang on to it before you get your certificate and ID card.  A friend of mine in the women's announcement group recently said it took 2 weeks for the police to call her to come in and get the certificate after the announcement in the RG.

• Like 1

I travel a lot and in some months I am out of the country more than once a week. Mostly one- to three-day trips to neighbouring countries. I understand that once my name is announced in the RG, I am a Thai and can only use Thai ID and passport, but it will take a while until I get those documents. If I use my original passport in the meantime, does that count as a violation of the rules, and the Thai citizenship will be cancelled again?