Jump to content
BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I travel a lot and in some months I am out of the country more than once a week. Mostly one- to three-day trips to neighbouring countries. I understand that once my name is announced in the RG, I am a Thai and can only use Thai ID and passport, but it will take a while until I get those documents. If I use my original passport in the meantime, does that count as a violation of the rules, and the Thai citizenship will be cancelled again?

Tricky one, but probably best to err on the side of caution maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, samran said:

Tricky one, but probably best to err on the side of caution maybe?

Agreed, but how? I cannot cancel all trips for a few weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I travel a lot and in some months I am out of the country more than once a week. Mostly one- to three-day trips to neighbouring countries. I understand that once my name is announced in the RG, I am a Thai and can only use Thai ID and passport, but it will take a while until I get those documents. If I use my original passport in the meantime, does that count as a violation of the rules, and the Thai citizenship will be cancelled again?

Shouldn't be a probably, even if somebody went by the book and renounced their previous citizenship, they would need to do that once they got the ID card and passport in hand, i knew somebody who had their American Visa on their previous passport and even after they became Thai they didn't make a Thai passport right away and traveled to the US using his old passport for atleast 2-3 months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, echrist said:

nobody at immigration will be aware that you have been announced in the RG. It's not like your passport is flagged that you have dual citizenship. it's nothing to worry about. i took a trip that i had planned months prior in between RG and ID. 

Thanks a lot, especially for your practical experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tylor said:

Shouldn't be a probably, even if somebody went by the book and renounced their previous citizenship, they would need to do that once they got the ID card and passport in hand, i knew somebody who had their American Visa on their previous passport and even after they became Thai they didn't make a Thai passport right away and traveled to the US using his old passport for atleast 2-3 months.

Well noted. So it is not a serious offence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Last week, Gen. Anupong signed a batch of applications, which have been sent on to the PM.

Good news. And I hope to be part of that one (or the previous one).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tylor said:

Just a quick update , Already got my ID in hand, managed to get the documents for SB and the Khet luckily didn't give me too much trouble 👍 however this is not the usual case, the papers at SB 99% of the time take 2 weeks to complete and the Khet usually gives appointments around 9-14 days from when you submit your papers to make an ID card.

 

Good luck to everyone else in process 

Congratulations. Passport next.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tylor said:

Just a quick update , Already got my ID in hand, managed to get the documents for SB and the Khet luckily didn't give me too much trouble 👍 however this is not the usual case, the papers at SB 99% of the time take 2 weeks to complete and the Khet usually gives appointments around 9-14 days from when you submit your papers to make an ID card.

 

Good luck to everyone else in process 

Congrats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Does anyone know if Spaniards can obtain Thai citizenship?  or if someone knows someone who has done it?  Not sure if I can apply, being Spanish.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

Does anyone know if Spaniards can obtain Thai citizenship?  or if someone knows someone who has done it?  Not sure if I can apply, being Spanish.

No problem to apply for Thai nationality.

The question remaining is does Spain allow you to hold dual nationalities. 

I found this. https://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."

Also more info here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to apply for Thai nationality.

The question remaining is does Spain allow you to hold dual nationalities. 

I found this. https://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

"Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality."

Also more info here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

 

This is what I understood.

Once here, I don't want to lose Spanish nationality. I had thought about losing my nationality (since it is one of the requirements to apply to Thai citizenship), but after 3 years I'll recover it again. Then I would not end up losing my nationality and as I understand it, I could get Thai citizenship in this way, being Spanish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...