Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

so...small update.

We get a phone call today for us to come in on the 12th of July for a final interview for my wife's application. Last stage I was told.

Unfortunately, we are out of the country and not likely to be back until the first half of next year!

So looks like my wife will miss that boat for the time being! And it also looks like that the applications have been held up because of the election (given the timing!)

Bugger.

If your wife really wants it, it is probably worth postponing your trip. It will not look good to the committee if it appears that she is not living in Thailand on a permanent basis.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, For those who are interested, the application process for Thai Citizenship in my case went as follows: Late 2003 - Picked up the checklist from the Police Headquarters on Rama 1 Road Janu

Loads of names published in the RG today and I am one them! Exactly 3 months to the day since taking the oath 😀

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons ! If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as u

Posted Images

Believe you misread his post - they are not in Thailand at this time and return not expected until next year.

Yes, I did misread it. Sorry.

Rather -- if she really wants it, she should make a special trip back for that interview. If she tries to pick it up a year from now, it will not look good -- as you are supposed to be living in Thailand permanently.

We really can't make it back, and there are very good reasons for it which will be outlined in the letter I'm in the process of writing. Don't believe it is the end of the world, another TV member Chatalette (I think) was in a similar position and eventually got it.

Importantly we aren't in a rush, so it can wait.

• Like 1

We really can't make it back, and there are very good reasons for it which will be outlined in the letter I'm in the process of writing. Don't believe it is the end of the world, another TV member Chatalette (I think) was in a similar position and eventually got it.

Importantly we aren't in a rush, so it can wait.

I think it should be fine if you have a valid explanation. Also, not being in a rush is a blessing as far as waiting for citizenship is concerned.

I am not in a rush either - although I do sometimes wish that things would move faster. I had my Interior Ministry Interview 3 years ago and have not heard a peep. It has now been almost 5 years since my application was submitted. Glad I'm not the impatient type!!

PR is pretty dam_n good and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you hear people talking about the hassles of renewing their annual extensions or being considered non-people when trying to do simple things like open a bank account or buy a car without a work permit. Citizenship would be even better and the chances of losing it are much less than, say, the chances of the bar for retirement visas being cranked up substantially in the future.

PR does sound good in that respect

Did I read somewhere that a man married to a Thai now no longer needs to obtain PR to apply for citizenship?

Thanks

That is correct.

so...small update.

We get a phone call today for us to come in on the 12th of July for a final interview for my wife's application. Last stage I was told.

Unfortunately, we are out of the country and not likely to be back until the first half of next year!

So looks like my wife will miss that boat for the time being! And it also looks like that the applications have been held up because of the election (given the timing!)

Bugger.

If you (and your wife) won't be in the country until the first half of next year, how does that make you permanent residents over here?

And yes, decisions are held up due to the elections. If you live here permanently, that's no problem, why should it be?

so...small update.

Bugger.

If you (and your wife) won't be in the country until the first half of next year, how does that make you permanent residents over here?

And yes, decisions are held up due to the elections. If you live here permanently, that's no problem, why should it be?

I'm a Thai citizen and she is applying based on marriage to me. She's lived in Thailand for nearly a decade.

In our case, based on the precedent of another female member of this board, it shouldn't be a problem if we delay they MOI interview. Plus, we have extremely good reason to be out of the country and an ongoing link there (my work and own business)

• Like 1

Good luck samran, I am sure when they see the reasons for your wifes inability to travel they will understand, and good to hear that postponing it won't see your application cancelled

Good luck samran, I am sure when they see the reasons for your wifes inability to travel they will understand, and good to hear that postponing it won't see your application cancelled

Wasn't a problem at all. Sent a fax letter to them from Australia, all done in nice 'official Thai'. Spoke to the special branch member who was handling our case and he said 'no problem for tomorrow (ie the MOI interview), when you return to Thailand, let me know".

And that was that....

Wasn't a problem at all. Sent a fax letter to them from Australia, all done in nice 'official Thai'. Spoke to the special branch member who was handling our case and he said 'no problem for tomorrow (ie the MOI interview), when you return to Thailand, let me know".

And that was that....

Great news, Samran. I knew it would not be an issue.

And that was that....

Thank's CJ.

My only paranoid concern now is that the outgoing Minister is going to approve a whole batch of them off the back of today's meeting, and my wife won't be one of them!

And that was that....

Thank's CJ.

My only paranoid concern now is that the outgoing Minister is going to approve a whole batch of them off the back of today's meeting, and my wife won't be one of them!

Good to hear. I doubt that the outgoing minister is going to be in a hurry to approve any of them. Anyway, bay all accounts he seems to have needed higher authority to answer a call of nature.

• 3 weeks later...