Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Can an unmarried foreign male apply for citizenship without PR?

don't think so. Neither can an unmarried foreign female.

Only if married (for both men and women) does there exist the 'straight to citizenship' route. In all cases though, 3 years of tax returns would be needed from memory, and all by the males in the relationship (whether they are Thai or not).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, For those who are interested, the application process for Thai Citizenship in my case went as follows: Late 2003 - Picked up the checklist from the Police Headquarters on Rama 1 Road Janu

Loads of names published in the RG today and I am one them! Exactly 3 months to the day since taking the oath 😀

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons ! If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as u

Posted Images

My only paranoid concern now is that the outgoing Minister is going to approve a whole batch of them off the back of today's meeting, and my wife won't be one of them!

Out of curiosity: Did the outgoing Minister indeed approve that whole batch?

My only paranoid concern now is that the outgoing Minister is going to approve a whole batch of them off the back of today's meeting, and my wife won't be one of them!

Out of curiosity: Did the outgoing Minister indeed approve that whole batch?

Would be very hard for me to know, given we weren't in it. But unlikely.

I have heard from several people that they received approvals from the Ministry in the past couple weeks. Don't know if it was a mass signing, though, or a handful. But some have definitely been signed in recent weeks.

Pretty amazing..... like PR's, this has been on hold too for alonngggggggg time.

So was in Thailand for a few days and went to touch base with the folks at the nationality office for handling our 'delayed' processing.

In the course of a friendly chat found out that spouses of Thai citizens, apart from having a reduced income threshold, the language test and need to sing the anthems are waived.

So was in Thailand for a few days and went to touch base with the folks at the nationality office for handling our 'delayed' processing.

In the course of a friendly chat found out that spouses of Thai citizens, apart from having a reduced income threshold, the language test and need to sing the anthems are waived.

This is in line with the 2008 amendments that waived the requirements for 5 years' residence and knowledge of the Thai the language for males with Thai spouses. What they do in practice is to assign points for spoken Thai and aural comprehension based on the meetings you have with the officer that handles your application. Apart from that the new reading and writing test and the singing are optional. You have to request them, if you want a few more points. This may be a good idea for those with reasonable Thai who need more points due to not having PR and other factors. I did it all for kicks and got 15 out of 15 for Thai language but it hasn't speeded up my interview at the Interior.

Good! I can't sing...

For Citizenship, say you were getting an income from abroad, but payed Thai tax on it, and had the relevant receipts, then would this qualify you?

Am married to a Thai, income is more than required and have extension for over 3years unbroken.

To be honest Beano, I'm not sure. I recall needing a letter from my employer confirming my salary (this was for my wife's application where it is all about the husband, not the wife), so I don't know how they'd take a overseas employer. In addition to that, I presume you've had unbroken extensions of stay?

The easiest thing to do is to go down and chat to them. They are friendly and have plenty of time on their hands given not too many people make it down there.

To be honest Beano, I'm not sure. I recall needing a letter from my employer confirming my salary (this was for my wife's application where it is all about the husband, not the wife), so I don't know how they'd take a overseas employer. In addition to that, I presume you've had unbroken extensions of stay?

The easiest thing to do is to go down and chat to them. They are friendly and have plenty of time on their hands given not too many people make it down there.

I have to do my 90days soon, so will ask the guy at the Immigration office maybe he could help me, he already suggested I go on a Retirement Visa as it is easier to do for them, although am only 45.