Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

To you, perhaps.

And businesses must be 51% Thai-owned, unless founded with BOI privileges or under Thai-American Treaty of Amnity.

For me, owning land and business, working at whatever I want with no work permit, and never having to make a visa run or set foot in Chaengwattana ever again is priceless.

The rest is icing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone; please, do as you wish.

• Like 2

Sure. Political instability inevitably leads to longer wait times.

Patience still pays off big in the end, though. The feeling of owning land and businesses in your own name, paying local prices at national parks, boxing stadiums, and tourist attractions without argument, having zero wait time going through the automatic turnstiles at Swampy, traveling visa and hassle-free to surrounding countries, and being able to vote all make it worthwhile.

Owning land -- if that's what you want, sure

Owning business in your name -- Non thais already legally can do this as long as it's not on the restricted list

Local prices at national parks/boxing stadiums/tourist attractions -- not many of which I would even bother visiting even if they were free. Thai national parks are laughable.

Zero waiting time at airports -- ok if you're a frequent traveller and your life is so busy you can't stand in line for 20 or 30 minutes which I think they still do that anyway when you have to remove your shoes at the security.

Travelling Visa and hassle free to surrounding countries -- This is not just Thai passport holders most developed world passport holders already have that priviledge or at least VOA options

Being able to vote -- What country are you talking about? Thailand? Seriously, you mention that? Your vote is meaningless, popular elections get overthrown and there currently is no voting or even a timeframe when anyone will even be allowed to vote again..

Most of these a meaningless points. In fact, it probably highlights more the problems the average thai faces in daily life then it does any significant advantage the newlyminted Thai has over Non-Thais.

In fact the only thing citizenship does give is the right to live in Thailand without visas. That's the only point that is relevent.

Being in a position to apply as of next year I have read this thread with interest and must thank the positive responses over time from those that have provided invaluable information to myself and no doubt countless others..

Being married for 10 years with three kids born here and working the benefit of citizenship to me would be the security and stability added to my life. It cant be denied that having citizenship isn't going to make life so much easier and give one a real sense of belonging rather than just a visitor. At present W/P, extensions etc etc etc do restrict my lifestyle to a certain extent.

I think anyone that is in a position to apply surely does. Its not an ideal situation having to do 90 day reports when you are 90 years oldsmile.png

Being in a position to apply as of next year I have read this thread with interest and must thank the positive responses over time from those that have provided invaluable information to myself and no doubt countless others..

Being married for 10 years with three kids born here and working the benefit of citizenship to me would be the security and stability added to my life. It cant be denied that having citizenship isn't going to make life so much easier and give one a real sense of belonging rather than just a visitor. At present W/P, extensions etc etc etc do restrict my lifestyle to a certain extent.

I think anyone that is in a position to apply surely does. Its not an ideal situation having to do 90 day reports when you are 90 years oldsmile.png

You can get a family member to do the 90 day reports for you. Also just curious, but why did you wait until 90 years old before deciding to apply?

Edited by Time Traveller

I think anyone that is in a position to apply surely does. Its not an ideal situation having to do 90 day reports when you are 90 years old:)

You can get a family member to do the 90 day reports for you. Also just curious, but why did you wait until 90 years old before deciding to apply?
I hope you are being intentionally obtuse. He is not applying for citizenship at 90 years old. He is simply saying that doing 90 day reports when you are very old will be a burden you would not have with citizenship.

Despite filing for extensions for 30 plus years, I still fret a little every year when my next extension is due that something will be wrong or some new document will be required. I have needed different/additional docs for my last 3 extensions. I am sure that as you age it will get more stressful not less. Surely it would be nice to not to have to go through that process every year. The actual application fee for citizenship based on marriage is only Baht 5,000, if I recall correctly, slightly less than 3 annual extensions. I believe that is very good value for money.

I think anyone that is in a position to apply surely does. Its not an ideal situation having to do 90 day reports when you are 90 years old:)

I hope you are being intentionally obtuse. He is not applying for citizenship at 90 years old. He is simply saying that doing 90 day reports when you are very old will be a burden you would not have with citizenship.

Despite filing for extensions for 30 plus years, I still fret a little every year when my next extension is due that something will be wrong or some new document will be required. I have needed different/additional docs for my last 3 extensions. I am sure that as you age it will get more stressful not less. Surely it would be nice to not to have to go through that process every year. The actual application fee for citizenship based on marriage is only Baht 5,000, if I recall correctly, slightly less than 3 annual extensions. I believe that is very good value for money.

My yearly extension takes approx 20mins, no big deal, would think it's more stressful to have to go through all the obstacles in order to obtain a Thai passport. One TV poster has been trying to obtain a Thai passport for his wife for about 8-10 yrs. sorry I just can't see that it's worth all the hassle. As for the 90day reporting, this can now be obtained vie the computer.

My yearly extension takes approx 20mins, no big deal, would think it's more stressful to have to go through all the obstacles in order to obtain a Thai passport. One TV poster has been trying to obtain a Thai passport for his wife for about 8-10 yrs. sorry I just can't see that it's worth all the hassle. As for the 90day reporting, this can now be obtained vie the computer.

That's just it though, it is not all that much of a hassle. All the documents you need are readily available and I put together the lot in less than a month, without having to take of time from work to do so. The case you raise is far from ordinary.

As for the 90 day report by computer, are you sure that is correct. In person (or authorized person) or by mail are the only ways I have heard about.

As for the 90day reporting, this can now be obtained vie the computer.

Can, you say. How ?

I've never needed to do it that way, however I have heard that it can be done, in fact I've seen it suggested on TV forum.

It cannot be done online. It has been mentioned for a years as something that was being considered by immigration but it has never happened.

• Like 1

That's why I said his family member can file 90 day reports. And I'm not criticizing anyone's decision to apply for citizenship, I am just asking why you after 30yrs of extensions and when you say you fret every year why you didn't apply for citizenship like 20 years ago?

While thai citizenship would be helpful, it's not really important as I don't plan on spending my retirement in Thailand nor do I plan on being a Thai wage slave. The business laws are reasonably easy to get around and have no desire to own land in thailand. However, if I did then I would see the benefit in citizenship. But I wouldn't wait until I'm just about to retire to do it.

• Like 1

That's why I said his family member can file 90 day reports. And I'm not criticizing anyone's decision to apply for citizenship, I am just asking why you after 30yrs of extensions and when you say you fret every year why you didn't apply for citizenship like 20 years ago?

While thai citizenship would be helpful, it's not really important as I don't plan on spending my retirement in Thailand nor do I plan on being a Thai wage slave. The business laws are reasonably easy to get around and have no desire to own land in thailand. However, if I did then I would see the benefit in citizenship. But I wouldn't wait until I'm just about to retire to do it.

I never bothered with PR because I thought it was far too costly for what it was (I do not think that now), and I was sure (probably misguided at the time but proven right in the end) that the law would change to give the same right to foreign men married to Thai women as it gave foreign women married to Thai men. The law finally did change in 2008 allowing foreign men married to Thai women to apply for citizenship without the need for a PR. Now I could have been caught out by that, but I wasn't. So the long and the short of it is that I did not wait 30 years to apply, as I did not qualify, I waited about 4 years before applying.

I do plan on spending the rest of my life in Thailand, but I do not know what you mean by a Thai wage slave. I am being paid a very reasonable salary even by UK standards.

FYI the maximum points awarded for age are for the 40 to 50 age group.

I do plan on spending the rest of my life in Thailand, but I do not know what you mean by a Thai wage slave. I am being paid a very reasonable salary even by UK standards.

It means I would rather not sign my life away to one employer for the 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 years it takes to acquire citizenship.

You are not required to remain working for the same employer for the entire time. You can change employers.

Gawd, that would be me, and it is funny how chinese whispers works. Next it will be we've been waiting 15 years and have bribed officals millions with no result!

We've been in the queue just over 4 years. Completed the final MOI committee interview at year 3. Fall of government and coup have delayed ministerial signature.

Paperwork for the application is a tad more than we take for my wife's annual extension. Total time sitting in front of a government official:

- 1 hour for application at special branch

- 20 mins at local cop shop for police check

- 15 min informal MOI interview at KFC victory monument

- 15 mins at MOI formal interview last November

Does not include a couple of visits I made to special branch to investigate.

Does not include the time to get the yellow tabieen baan for my wife nor translations of our English language docs.

All very very painless.

My wife's annual extensions of stay involve usually a half day wait and the month later another hour or two to 'hear the result'.

Edited by samran

Gawd, that would be me, and it is funny how chinese whispers works. Next it will be we've been waiting 15 years and have bribed officals millions with no result!

We've been in the queue just over 4 years. Completed the final MOI committee interview at year 3. Fall of government and coup have delayed ministerial signature.

Paperwork for the application is a tad more than we take for my wife's annual extension. Total time sitting in front of a government official:

- 1 hour for application at special branch

- 20 mins at local cop shop for police check

- 15 min informal MOI interview at KFC victory monument

- 15 mins at MOI formal interview last November

Does not include a couple of visits I made to special branch to investigate.

Does not include the time to get the yellow tabieen baan for my wife nor translations of our English language docs.

All very very painless.

My wife's annual extensions of stay involve usually a half day wait and the month later another hour or two to 'hear the result'.

Sorry! Samran, but I seem to remember that 4 yrs 3 months ago, you telling me on TV that you had submitted your wife's application a few years earlier. Perhaps it's my memory that's failing me.

Not really, we had put it on hold between 2010 and 2013 due to living in Australia. But when we got it back in line last year we were called up the following month for the final interview.

Actually offered the final interview in 2010 but couldn't make it due to living overseas. We had applied in 2008.

• Like 1

I would really like to go down some 'permanency' track but I don't work period. I am married and will be applying for my 2nd Extension based on marriage next year. I have a 4 yo son who has dual citizenship, so I would like to do the same.

But after reading this thread I have 2 chances .. Buckley's and none unless I'm working and paying tax.

Not that I can't work, Not that I'm too old, just can't find anything with my skills in Fire and Emergency services.

Seems a shame that I plan to spend the rest of my life here but can't be afforded some sort of permanent status!

Edited by wonder6281

I'm part way through the citizenship application process. I've submited doccuments to special branch and been interviewed. I've registered on the yelllow tabien baan and I've registered a thai name change. I've also had the interview with the NIA. My question is about the doccument needed by the British Embassy to state that you will be wiling to give up British citizenship if necessary. Will the British Embassy accept the doccument I received from Special Branch to process this? The last time I went to the British Embassy to as about this they said they were very hesitant to issue such a doccument. Has anyone had any experience with this as part of their citizenship application?

Thanks in advance

I'm part way through the citizenship application process. I've submited doccuments to special branch and been interviewed. I've registered on the yelllow tabien baan and I've registered a thai name change. I've also had the interview with the NIA. My question is about the doccument needed by the British Embassy to state that you will be wiling to give up British citizenship if necessary. Will the British Embassy accept the doccument I received from Special Branch to process this? The last time I went to the British Embassy to as about this they said they were very hesitant to issue such a doccument. Has anyone had any experience with this as part of their citizenship application?

Thanks in advance

You make a statutory declaration at the Embassy. You write it out by hand and submit it. The wording I used is as follows:

Declaration

I, Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX, holder of British Passport No. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on X February XXXX, am a British citizen resident at ADDRESS Bangkok, 10260, Thailand.

In connection with my recent application for naturalization as a Thai citizen, I do solemnly and sincerely swear that I intend to renounce my British citizenship when I have received permission from the competent Thai authorities to become naturalized as a Thai citizen.

The Consular officer who endorsed the declaration, simply smiled. It is declaration of intent, not something you will be held to.

• Like 2

Thanks in advance

Can you give a link to this document please ?

I am hoping to start on this road shortly and need some advice if you would be so kind:

I wonder if anyone knows the currently acceptable amount of money you need to prove you have donated to a Thai charity as part of the application? I remember hearing it was 4000 Baht, is this still the case?

Also I understand I have to provide my income receipts for three calendar years - I received my work permit in July 2012 so does this mean I can submit 2012-2014 or do I need to wait until 2015 so that I have 3 full calendar years?

I am a Director of a Thai company, will this cause an audit on my company? I have no big issue with that but a friend of mine who is a lawyer had his application rejected for receiving payment as a commission on a housing sale he had helped someone with and his entire application was rejected because his work permit didn't allow him to receive commissions. So I would rather know in advance and get my house in order.

Thanks for the help.