Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, For those who are interested, the application process for Thai Citizenship in my case went as follows: Late 2003 - Picked up the checklist from the Police Headquarters on Rama 1 Road Janu

Loads of names published in the RG today and I am one them! Exactly 3 months to the day since taking the oathย ๐Ÿ˜€

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons ! If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as u

Posted Images

Looks like there are only 2 'westerners' on that list.....

Correct.

The number of Westerners applying is tiny compared to the number of Asians from other countries applying.

Don't mistake it for some anti-Western conspiracy.

Though many will of course...

In addtion there were at least four women who renounced Thai nationalilty in order to hold Australian nationality as their sole nationality. Presumably those four were not too bright, or has something changed in Australia?

Nothing has changed in Australia, but false assumptions still abound as you know that you can't hold dual citizenship.

A couple of thoughts:

- They thought that section 22 applied to them in the sense that they weren't taking the nationality of their husband, but naturalising of their own free will?

Section 22.
A person of Thai nationality who has been naturalised as an alien, or who has renounced Thai nationality, or whose Thai nationality has been revoked, shall lose Thai nationality.

- That they weren't too bright

- That someone at the printing office confused Australia with Austria, which does not, I believe, allow multiple nationalities.

Samran. After reading your post I had another look at these anoucements and now confess that the person who confused Australia with Austria was me. They were giving up Thai nationality in favour of being Austrian, not Australian.

Re Section 22:

"A person of Thai nationality who has been naturalized as an alien, or who has renounced Thai nationality, or whose Thai nationality has been revoked, shall lose Thai nationality."

My observation is that this section is just used for procedure, while the key sections for these renunciations are Sections 13:

"A man or woman of Thai nationality who marries an alien and may acquire the nationality of the spouse according to his nationality law shall, if he or she desires to renounce Thai nationality, make a declaration of his or her intention before an official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations."

and 15:

"Except in the case under Section 14, a person who has Thai nationality and other nationality, or who acquires Thai nationality by naturalization shall, if he desires to renounce Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to such form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for renunciation of Thai nationality shall lie with the discretion of the Minister."

The wording of the announcements is generally to the effect that Mrs X has expressed her desire to renounce Thai citizenship in accordance with either Section 13 or 15 and that her Thai citizenship will consequently be annulled in accordance with Section 22. The difference between Sections 13 and 15 is that women who have obtained their husband's foreign nationality can automatically renounce their Thai citizenship, whereas the minister's approval is required for all others wishing to relieve themselves of the encumbrance of Thai nationality.

Edited by Arkady

Looks like there are only 2 'westerners' on that list.....

Correct.

The number of Westerners applying is tiny compared to the number of Asians from other countries applying.

Don't mistake it for some anti-Western conspiracy.

Though many will of course...

From the names of successful applicants and from we hear from candidates who have been to the Interior Ministry interviews we can assume that vast majority of applicants have historically been of Asian nationality. The pattern might change a bit in future though, due to the 2008 legal amendment that permitted males married to Thais to apply without obtaining permanent residence first. Since the process now seems to take at least 3-5 years for those on a normal track (compared to 1-2 years in days gone by), most, if not all, of those getting naturalised in 2011 must have had PR. Given the large number of farangs married to Thai women and the fact that obtaining PR has been made virtually impossible in recent years, I think there are a lot more farangs now applying for citizenship. In the past they might have been happy just getting PR, which used to be a relatively fast and not too pricey process (before the fees were jacked up), and were not interested in going the extra mile for a Thai passport which they saw as inferior to their farang passports that allow visaless travel around the globe. Now increasing numbers of farangs see Thai citizenship, which also requires much less onerous documentation and comes with much cheaper fees, as their only realistic hope of ever being allowed to stay permanently in Thailand with their Thai families. When I was interviewed by the NIA the only other applicant waiting in the queue was another farang (with his fancy Thai lawyer girl to assist him, much to the disgust of the officer).

Edited by Arkady

i got a few questions i think im in the right section for it :)

i am half thai half dutch with a dutch passport, my mother is thai and lives in thailand.

i was born in the netherlands lived in thailand for around 2 years when i was little then moved back to the netherlands and since then live there.

can i apply for thai citizenship based on my mother being thai and lives there?

also if i get a thai citizenship can i buy land on my own name or do i still be considerd as a foreigner and can only lease it?

or have to buy it on my mothers name

what happened to the OP "dbrenn's" application. is finally a Thai citizen after applying nearly 5 years ago?

He was already a Thai citizen at the time of posting....

it's the reading glasses, i swear. i clearly overlooked

now... I can get a Thai passport and visit countries like Laos and Vietnam visa free

lucky DBrenn!

• 1 month later...

Ok... Question.... I completed every thing with the police May 2010, interview I think July 2010 w ministry @ McDonalds ----- now waiting. Where do I call to get heads up on the status ? Must be some where in ministry

Thx

The best place to start is by going back to Special Branch. If you haven't already got it, you will need a copy of the cover letter that Special Branch sent to the ministry when they forwarded your file, confirming that you had fulfilled all the legal requirements for your application to be considered by the minister. They will fax this to you, if you ask. There is no reference number on the letter but you need the date of it to follow up with the ministry. Special Branch can give you contact details of working level officials at the ministry's nationality division. Unfortunately these people can't tell you very much, except hopefully confirm that they have your file. If you try to press them, they will probably just tell you there is a big queue of applicants waiting for interviews at the ministry and that two years is not that long, so jai yen yen. I don't know if it helps to go and visit them in person but I doubt it. Getting some one senior at the ministry to follow up on your case would be more effective. Apparently the ministry's interview process was suspended during last year's floods and they only just started interviewing applicants again this month. I am also waiting to be interviewed and applied just ahead of you.

Edited by Arkady

I just see it how I read it.

Obviously someone from a poor nation would be more likely

to want Thai citizenship than someone from a rich country.

Disagree ... Then Do Tell.

Naka.

I think it depends very much on your age, if you are young married work here and intend to stay for a long time then why not, if you are over 50 hardly much point but well done to the OP