Jump to content
BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Recommended Posts

You guys with successful applications make it look like a piece of cake to get the Thai ID. Aren't there any forum members in here whose applications are stuck or lost in bureaucracy?

 

Would be good news however if at least the naturalization law is transparent and followed to the dot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was curious if anyone dealt with this scenario? How would you deal with foreign quota condo ownership after you become thai. I assume you wouldn't want to convert it because its worth less in a thai name. Can you leave it how would you transfer it in the future guess im not sure if a visa is needed but using your old passport in Thailand is scary too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

I was curious if anyone dealt with this scenario? How would you deal with foreign quota condo ownership after you become thai. I assume you wouldn't want to convert it because its worth less in a thai name. Can you leave it how would you transfer it in the future guess im not sure if a visa is needed but using your old passport in Thailand is scary too

Using your old passport in Thailand is not scary, it is not allowed. You can lose your Thai nationality.

 

Condos that foreigners can buy (never mind who sells) are more valuable because of the quota that the buyer needs to adhere to. Never mind the seller's nationality. The only one reason I can imagine not to change the nationality at the land department would be to block other foreigners from buying in your condo building, if quota is a tight question. However, I wouldn't take the risk of losing the Thai nationality over it.

 

Just my 2 cents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, heiri007 said:

You guys with successful applications make it look like a piece of cake to get the Thai ID. Aren't there any forum members in here whose applications are stuck or lost in bureaucracy?

 

Would be good news however if at least the naturalization law is transparent and followed to the dot.

In my case everything went as described and expected, ‘to the dot’. No snafus or setbacks, but it took 4.5 years from the time I first applied. That is a lot of waiting for the next step to get completed! None of it was particularly difficult, but “piece of cake”  is not a description that comes to mind!

 

As I have mentioned, totally worth the wait! I have been in immigration twice in the last year, just to help visitors. What a relief to be done with those visas and 90 days!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI
31 July 2020
there is another interview meeting,
any one received Call yesterday.
my friend who had PR received call from MOI and informed him come sharp 8:30 Am on Friday 31st July 2020.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, onthemoon said:

Using your old passport in Thailand is not scary, it is not allowed. You can lose your Thai nationality.

 

Condos that foreigners can buy (never mind who sells) are more valuable because of the quota that the buyer needs to adhere to. Never mind the seller's nationality. The only one reason I can imagine not to change the nationality at the land department would be to block other foreigners from buying in your condo building, if quota is a tight question. However, I wouldn't take the risk of losing the Thai nationality over it.

 

Just my 2 cents.

Have you heard of a case of someone losing Thai ID over stuff still registered to the old passport, such as condo, driver's license, insurance contracts, bank account, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Have you heard of a case of someone losing Thai ID over stuff still registered to the old passport, such as condo, driver's license, insurance contracts, bank account, etc.?

I haven't but wouldn't want to be the first. There is no need to risk it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, david143 said:

FYI
31 July 2020
there is another interview meeting,
any one received Call yesterday.
my friend who had PR received call from MOI and informed him come sharp 8:30 Am on Friday 31st July 2020.

I got a call from DOPA today asking me to turn up next Friday at 9. Unfortunately we have a family long weekend booked and paid for including internal flights, leaving on morning of 31st. I explained and was told it wasn't a problem and that my application would get pushed back to next month (the helpful lady who called me couldn't say when in the month as it's not yet been decided). I was impressed that they called me on a Saturday as it implies they are hard at work. FWIW my application went to MOI in December 2018. Another month here or there doesn't bother me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Have you heard of a case of someone losing Thai ID over stuff still registered to the old passport, such as condo, driver's license, insurance contracts, bank account, etc.?

No, I personally haven't. And I see no reason to risk it. The decision is yours, of course. Good luck!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Oath, I've been told just to take my Passport, Yellow Housebook and copies. 6 photos(suit and tie) with a blue background. Anything else I am missing? What about flowers, what type should they be?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

For the Oath, I've been told just to take my Passport, Yellow Housebook and copies. 6 photos(suit and tie) with a blue background. Anything else I am missing? What about flowers, what type should they be?

do we have chance for oath
did you already got call or not yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, david143 said:

do we have chance for oath
did you already got call or not yet.

 

Yes, I got a call.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I got a call.

Congratulations Brother.
Good luck
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...