BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

I believe that the interview at Amarin Plaza (McDonalds) is with the National Intelligence Agency, not the MOI.

TheChiefJustice, how long was it between filing your application with Special Branch to being called for an interview at the MOI?

I think you are right, Garry. I also had the interview with the NIA - but it was at my office.

My application process dates were as follows:

May 2007 - application filed at Special Branch

November 2007 - NIA interview at my office

August 2008 - MOI Interview

August 2011 - Minister Approves application

December 2011 - HM Approves application

April 2012 - Approval published in Government Gazette

May 2012 - Swear Oath at Special Branch

August 2012 - Obtain Naturalisation Certificate

August 2012 - Apply for/obtain Thai ID Card and Passport

My understanding is that the length of time overall is standard - although from what I have heard from others the time between my initial application and my MOI interview was quite quick.

I believe that the interview at Amarin Plaza (McDonalds) is with the National Intelligence Agency, not the MOI.

TheChiefJustice, how long was it between filing your application with Special Branch to being called for an interview at the MOI?

I think you are right, Garry. I also had the interview with the NIA - but it was at my office.

My understanding is that the length of time overall is standard - although from what I have heard from others the time between my initial application and my MOI interview was quite quick.

Thanks for the information. From what I understand, your interview with MOI did indeed happen very soon. However, I can't understand why it took so long for the Minister to sign off (three years from MOI intercview to signing). Is that normal?

If I haven't already congratulated you then let me do so now. Congratulations!!!!!!

Edited by GarryP

Thanks for the information. From what I understand, your interview with MOI did indeed happen very soon. However, I can't understand why it took so long for the Minister to sign off (three years from MOI intercview to signing). Is that normal?

If I haven't already congratulated you then let me do so now. Congratulations!!!!!!

Hello Garry - and thank you for your kind congratulations. ;-)

One of the reasons this takes so long is that during the waiting period there is never just one Interior Minister. Between the time I applied and the time I was approved there were a total of seven (7) Interior Ministers! This, as you might imagine, has a major impact on the stable working of the MOI. For those interested, here is a list of Interior Ministers. When I applied it was No. 46. I was approved by No. 52.

List of Interior Ministers of Thailand

Edited by TheChiefJustice

The CJ, was staff of MOI went to your home or office to see if the circumstances were the same as written in your application just before or during your MOI interview process or not?

The CJ, was staff of MOI went to your home or office to see if the circumstances were the same as written in your application just before or during your MOI interview process or not?

Dear Oasis - I was never visited by the MOI. The only contact with the MOI was during my official MOI interview and at the very end when I was calling them and pestering them about when my approval would be published in the Government Gazette. I was not contacted by the MOI for an interview either before or after the official MOI interview.

Before the MOI interview, however, I was visited by two officers from the National Intelligence Agency at my office. Originally they had asked to visit my home but as I was working long hours and spending most of my time at the office I requested an interview at my place of work. They did go through the contents of my application and asked me questions about my circumstances, my family, and the reasons I wanted to apply for citizenship. They are there to assess your general character and demeanor and to quiz you on the contents of your application.

Edited by TheChiefJustice

Dear Oasis - I was never visited by the MOI. The only contact with the MOI was during my official MOI interview and at the very end when I was calling them and pestering them about when my approval would be published in the Government Gazette. I was not contacted by the MOI for an interview either before or after the official MOI interview.

Before the MOI interview, however, I was visited by two officers from the National Intelligence Agency at my office. Originally they had asked to visit my home but as I was working long hours and spending most of my time at the office I requested an interview at my place of work. They did go through the contents of my application and asked me questions about my circumstances, my family, and the reasons I wanted to apply for citizenship. They are there to assess your general character and demeanor and to quiz you on the contents of your application.

Dear CJ, Thanks, for the information. Congrates for your achievement.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but how does the MOI get in touch to invite you to the official MOI interview? Is it through Special Branch? I am just asking because as the process takes so long, I can envisage applicants having moved home or place of work by the time it comes round to being invited to the interview. I understand it can be anywhere up to 3 years after submission of the application (or more) before one receives the formal invitation (but don't know the form the invitation takes).

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but how does the MOI get in touch to invite you to the official MOI interview? Is it through Special Branch? I am just asking because as the process takes so long, I can envisage applicants having moved home or place of work by the time it comes round to being invited to the interview. I understand it can be anywhere up to 3 years after submission of the application (or more) before one receives the formal invitation (but don't know the form the invitation takes).

When I called MOI this month, they told will be informing the Special Branch about interview when it will be. Note that I am calling MOI and Special Branch every 2-3 months regarding Interview.

Edited by Oasis

You may ask as many questions as you like, Garry. I understand that not so many here have been through the entire process yet - so any light I am able to shed on the matter I am more than happy to do.

The MOI notifies you of the interview by letter. I agree with you that it may be problematic if you move your residence. In fact, I was on holiday when my letter arrived. When I returned to receive it, I learned that my interview was the next day! So I could have easily missed it had I been on holidays longer. The letter had been in my mailbox for almost two weeks.

I think that if you move your residence, it would be prudent to contact the MOI to let them know - especially if you have not yet had the interview. Missing an interview would be a shame and may cause even further delays to an already very long process.

When I called MOI this month, they told will be informing the Special Branch about interview when it will be.

I was never told by the Special Branch about my impending interview - but perhaps things have changed.

Thanks, in my case then it's been since mid 2010 I had the NIA interview for which the mrs had to join. I guess I better start asking around

It seems that the NIA have given up visiting homes and/or offices in recent years and currently interview candidates at McDonalds in Amarin Plaza with their Thai spouses, if they applied on the basis of having one. Like everything else in the process this could change without notice. I don't think the MoI people have ever interviewed applicants outside the MoI but some people might have thought the NIA people were from the MoI, as they tend not to advertise themselves. The MoI, however, dominates the committee that makes the recommendations to the minister, as they have 8 of the 15 seats.

Special Branch does get advance warning of who has been selected for interview about 3 weeks before the interviews but they are not required to contact applicants and, unless you have a good contact at SB, you will just receive the official invitation letter from he MoI which you must bring with you to the interview along with your passport, tabien baan, WP as well as residence book and alien book, if you have PR. Not having a WP without a good reason (e.g. in process of renewal) at this stage could be a show stopper, as you are required to be employed according to the Act. Among other things you will nowadays be asked about your intention to dump your existing nationality and the wrong answer here could also be a show stopper. At least one applicant has reported receiving the invitation letter only the day before the interview. So, if you have changed address before being interviewed, you had better make sure that you get the new one with copies of your new tabien baan to SB and get them to confirm they have sent it to the MoI or you may never hear anything from them.

As CJ says, the revolving door of interior ministers must be responsible for much of the delays in processing applications. According to the law the whole thing is up to the minister's discretion but citizenship is understandably a low priority for most of them and it takes a new minister several months to get around to coming up with his policy on how he will exercise his discretion. In the past some ministers came up with applicant friendly policies that established precise timelines for the process but unfortunately that has not happened for several years and things have been allowed to lapse. Even the 60 day limit for the initial screening by the police and security agencies seems to have fallen off the official MoI flowchart recently. Apparently the MoI usually still presses on with the interviews, while waiting for new ministers' directives, and currently conducts them nearly every month. I don't know how many people apply annually but there is a limit to how many 10 minute interviews you can do in a day and I doubt that they interview more than 300 a year, if that. So there seems to be a fairly long queue which could get worse, if there is a bulge of applicants with Thai wives who found out they could apply without PR after the 2008 amendments. SB says that right now it is not unusual for applicants to wait 4 or 5 years for interview. Why some people have got their citizenship 18 months after application and others have waited 11 years is a mystery that could only be solved by the people at the MoI and they ain't talking.

Naam may be interested in the section quoted below from the thesis where it indicates a condition whereby Germans may retain citizenship and the involvement of their diplomatic mission in this.

quote follows

[Loss of citizenship on acquisition of a foreign citizenship following due application for the same; approval of retention of citizenship]

(1) A German shall lose his or her citizenship upon acquiring a foreign citizenship where such acquisition results from an application filed by the German concerned or his or her legal representative, whereas the represented person shall suffer such loss only if the qualifying conditions for application for release from citizenship apply as stipulated in Section 19. The loss under sentence 1 shall not take effect if a German acquires the citizenship of another member state of the European Union, Switzerland or of a state with whom the Federal Republic of Germany has signed a treaty under Section 12, sub-section 3.

(2) Citizenship shall not be lost by any person who, prior to acquiring foreign citizenship following their application for the same, received written approval from their competent authority for retention of their citizenship. Where an applicant is ordinarily resident abroad, the German diplomatic mission abroad shall be consulted in this connection. The public and private interests shall be weighed up in reaching the decision on an application pursuant to sentence 1. With regard to an applicant who is ordinarily resident abroad, special consideration shall be accorded to the question of whether he or she is able to furnish credible evidence of continuing ties with Germany.