BANGKOK
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Congratulations

thanks.... but that translates anywhere between next week and in 8yrs from now.

Congratulations!!! we both are on same boat now, please keep updating.

Hope there are something happening in MOI towards better situation and circumstances regarding Thai Citizenship Applications? There was a meeting at MOI regading Thai citizenship between Permanent Secretary and Committee members on 07/11/12. www.moi.go.th

More updates are appreciated.

นายวิบูลย์ สงวนพงศ์ ปลัดกระทรวงมหาดไทยเป็นประธานการประชุมคณะกรรมการพิจารณาให้สัญชาติไทย และให้สถานะคนต่างด้าวเข้าเมือง ครั้งที่ 2/2555 ห้องประชุม 1 ชั้น 2 กรมการปกครอง กระทรวงมหาดไทย เมื่อวันที่ 7 พฤศจิกายน 2555

2012118112437.jpg

Hello! I just applied for the Thai nationality at the Special Branch Police. I got the letter from the Special Branch Police to give to the US Consul requesting the US Consul to issue the ceritificate of intent to relinquish the US nationality once granted Thai nationality.

So my question is what kind of form do I have to fill out at the US Embassy or do I just give the original letter in Thai from the Special Branch Police with the translation to the US Consul Then the consul will issue the letter?

Does anyone have experience with the US Consul about this matter?

Hello! I just applied for the Thai nationality at the Special Branch Police. I got the letter from the Special Branch Police to give to the US Consul requesting the US Consul to issue the ceritificate of intent to relinquish the US nationality once granted Thai nationality.

So my question is what kind of form do I have to fill out at the US Embassy or do I just give the original letter in Thai from the Special Branch Police with the translation to the US Consul Then the consul will issue the letter?

Just filled in a Declaration i wrote, witnessed by Oz embassy. you will need to get it translated.

Just filled in a Declaration i wrote, witnessed by Oz embassy. you will need to get it translated.

Thank you!

Don't know about the US Consul but most people I know of have made a simple declaration of intent that is witnessed by a consular official and then translated into Thai. Most consulates are happy to witness and notarize just about anything that isn't obviously fraudulent because it is easy money for them. It is most unlikely the consulate will read the letter. They have better things to do and the letter is very typically verbose but vague anyway.

The US letter is in official format and signed under oath and that signature is witnessed by and signed by the Consulate Officer as an official of the government. It is not a random signing but an official document subject to legal actions if found to be false.

Edited by lopburi3
Strike out wrong information (income letter)

Thank you for the advice! I will go to the US Embassy tomorrow! May be I just make the simple declaration in the Affidavit. Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Edited by bakery2012

Hope there are something happening in MOI towards better situation and circumstances regarding Thai Citizenship Applications? There was a meeting at MOI regading Thai citizenship between Permanent Secretary and Committee members on 07/11/12. www.moi.go.th

More updates are appreciated.

นายวิบูลย์ สงวนพงศ์ ปลัดกระทรวงมหาดไทยเป็นประธานการประชุมคณะกรรมการพิจารณาให้สัญชาติไทย และให้สถานะคนต่างด้าวเข้าเมือง ครั้งที่ 2/2555 ห้องประชุม 1 ชั้น 2 กรมการปกครอง กระทรวงมหาดไทย เมื่อวันที่ 7 พฤศจิกายน 2555

2012118112437.jpg

Not quite sure exactly what this committee is. It is not the committee that makes recommendations to the minister under the Nationality Act คณะกรรมการกลั่นกรองเกี่ยวกับสัญชาติ, although that committee is also chaired by the permanent secretary. Nor is it the working committee for scrutinising applications for Thai nationality that is mentioned in ministerial regulations that I can't cut and paste. That committee is the one that interviews applicants and is chaired by the deputy secretary general of the Department of Provincial Administration in charge of the Internal Security Bureau. It has reportedly convened every month this year since April, following a lull caused by last year's floods.

Judging by its name คณะกรรมการพิจารณาให้สัญชาติไทย และให้สถานะคนต่างด้าวเข้าเมือง it is rather broad and covers both Thai nationality and permanent residence. Perhaps it combines work from more than one committee. I note that there is a name tag for a representative from Special Branch which only deals with applications for naturalisation and wives of Thai citizens. Blowing up the slide that is showing only revealed the same information as in the caption. Since this was its second meeting of this year in November we can assume it meets around twice a year. What it discusses we don't know. Perhaps it gives final bureaucratic approval to citizenship and PR applications before they are passed to the minister for signature. Perhaps it discusses policy or both. Anyway it seems timely given that yet another minister has just taken over. Hopefully they decided to propose to the new minister that strict timelines should be imposed on the processes for naturalization and PR. But then again maybe pigs will fly.

Edited by Arkady

The US letter is in official format and signed under oath and that signature is witnessed by and signed by the Consulate Officer as an official of the government. It is not a random signing but an official document subject to legal actions if found to be false.

In this particular case they are witnessing a declaration of intent. No legal action could be applicable since no one could prove that you made a false declaration, unless they had the ability to log your thought processes at the time.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Sorry my response was in regard to letter of income - too many threads coming together too late switching back and forth between subjects. That nationality letter would just be a notary signature and not have anything to do with legal consequences. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I should add that the bulk of the Interior Ministry's work to do with nationality relates to stateless minorities who are mainly either hill tribe people or Haw Chinese as well as displaced Thais who got cut off in districts that reverted to Burma and later fled over the border. These people tend to be approved in batches of several hundred at a time from the same province. I think the district offices do the initial processing in the same way as Special Branch does for foreigners but all still need to go through the same department at the MoI that handles naturalization and PR applications and be signed off on by the Interior Minister. That is not to mention the workload for renunciation of Thai citizenship that also goes through the same department - mainly women married to foreigners who are forced to renounce Thai nationality to become Taiwanese, Korean or Singaporean with a smattering acquiring the nationalities of unenlightened European nations such as Holland, Germany and Austria.

Sorry my response was in regard to letter of income - too many threads coming together too late switching back and forth between subjects. That nationality letter would just be a notary signature and not have anything to do with legal consequences. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I submitted with the affitdavit blank form with simple statement and got notarized by US Consul. They don't bother to read the letter from the Special Branch Police. Now waiting for translation.