Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Does anyone know of a law firm or visa assist company that can help with obtaining citizenship?

Thanks

There probably are, but they'd charge a lot and don't add any value. They might not be up-to-date on the rules either, or simply pretend to know the process, given the relatively few number of applicants for citizenship.

All a law firm does is tell you to do what the Special Branch would tell you to do had you applied directly yourself.

Yes that seems to be the case. I think the asking fee is ballpark 400-500K, maybe more.

There was a comment from member Arkady a couple of years ago noting that all the legal firms advertising this service will say that you only need to pay the whole fee upon success. However they ask for a hefty up front fee (probably 50%) and the balance on success so that in fact there is no risk for the legal firm. The 50% for basically just filing an application is easy money and if the applicant doesn't succeed they can blame it on factors outside their control i.e. change of government etc.

Prior to that I had discussions with a lawyer and was considering going ahead with them but their proposed fee structure was exactly in that format.

There are some pros and cons for me regarding citizenship. But If there was a legal firm that offered a 500K fee with payment only on success that would tip the scales and I would go for it. Unfortunately I doubt that is going to happen.

Edited by thedemon

Does anyone know of a law firm or visa assist company that can help with obtaining citizenship?

Thanks

Better go and discuss with SB police about your case, it's just a matter of collecting the documents and submit with the fee of Baht 5000 only, they will ask documents that you have if you fulfill the requirements. Again just matter of collecting the documents that you have. Edited by Oasis

Thanks

Better go and discuss with SB police about your case, it's just a matter of collecting the documents and submit with the fee of Baht 5000 only, they will ask documents that you have if you fulfill the requirements. Again just matter of collecting the documents that you have.

Would agree... waste of money. Collected all myself. Only time consuming thing its getting translations and notarised stuff from Embassy

rest is easy peasy

• Like 1

Greetings all,

I am going to do my application for citizenship soon (this month, if I can get the documents all together).

So far I have :

- letter of employment (in English)

- letter from the UK police saying I have no record on their computer (in English)

- yellow tabien baan

- my wife says she has a receipt for some temple donations from a few years ago, once she finds those I will include them

- work permit

- passport

Still needed :

- tax documents for the last three years (I have worked for the same company for over three years now, so that should be relatively straightforward)

- to learn the royal anthem (shouldn't be too hard, and I already know the national anthem)

My questions are :

- what else am I missing?

- after I translate the letter of employment (our company says they only issue them in English) and the UK police document, do I need to get them stamped as seen by the British embassy, or certified by whom?

Thanks in advance for any information - I realise lots of you here have already started along the process of applying, but after living here nearly 12 years I finally plucked up the courage to apply. Wish me luck!

SWW

Greetings all,

I am going to do my application for citizenship soon (this month, if I can get the documents all together).

So far I have :

- letter of employment (in English)

- letter from the UK police saying I have no record on their computer (in English)

- yellow tabien baan

- my wife says she has a receipt for some temple donations from a few years ago, once she finds those I will include them

- work permit

- passport

Still needed :

- tax documents for the last three years (I have worked for the same company for over three years now, so that should be relatively straightforward)

- to learn the royal anthem (shouldn't be too hard, and I already know the national anthem)

My questions are :

- what else am I missing?

- after I translate the letter of employment (our company says they only issue them in English) and the UK police document, do I need to get them stamped as seen by the British embassy, or certified by whom?

Thanks in advance for any information - I realise lots of you here have already started along the process of applying, but after living here nearly 12 years I finally plucked up the courage to apply. Wish me luck!

SWW

Anything missing, SB will tell you. Just follow their instructions

SWW, check out the website: http://gsd.sbpolice.go.th/national.php It lists all the documents you need. BTW, if you are applying based on marriage as opposed to PR, then you do not need to sing the national anthem.

Thank you very much for this information! I would obviously avoid singing in public unless I absolutely had to.

I gathered that an application is points-based, and while I should get a high score for knowledge of Thailand and the Thai language, I don't have a university degree (something I am constantly asked for for work permits and the like), and the ability to sing the national anthem does contribute points if I needed them.

Is it wrong to be slightly excited at the prospect of applying? I am sort of looking forward to it, in a strange way, even though it will almost certainly mean that I will be paying quite a lot more income tax, if I am successful in my application.

SWW, check out the website: http://gsd.sbpolice.go.th/national.php It lists all the documents you need. BTW, if you are applying based on marriage as opposed to PR, then you do not need to sing the national anthem.

Thank you very much for this information! I would obviously avoid singing in public unless I absolutely had to.

I gathered that an application is points-based, and while I should get a high score for knowledge of Thailand and the Thai language, I don't have a university degree (something I am constantly asked for for work permits and the like), and the ability to sing the national anthem does contribute points if I needed them.

Is it wrong to be slightly excited at the prospect of applying? I am sort of looking forward to it, in a strange way, even though it will almost certainly mean that I will be paying quite a lot more income tax, if I am successful in my application.

The application is indeed points based. When I applied I was precluded from singing the national and royal anthems as, while I speak the language fluently and can read it, I cannot write Thai. However, from looking at the latest points system, it does not appear that you need to speak, read and write before being given the opportunity to sing. In any case I did not need the extra points and could also avoid it by applying based on marriage. Like you I do not have a university degree, but I still managed to pass the minimum points required. Below is a list of the maximum points per category. You need to get a minimum of 50 points. Note that people with 50 or 99 points are treated the same. 50 is simply the cut-off point.

1. The applicant’s qualifications 25 points,

1.1 Age 10 points,

1.2 Educational qualification, 15 points,

2. Occupational security, 25 points,

3. Domicile, 20 points,

4. Thai knowledge, 15 points,

5. General knowledge about Thailand, 10 points,

6. Personality, manners, speaking, 5 points,

Why would a successful application mean paying more income tax? For me -- being now free of minimum salary requirements that getting a work permit requires -- it has meant a great savings.

There is a BOI scheme called ROH (Regional Office Headquarters) for multinational companies who keep their main base of operations in Thailand, which comes with some very useful tax incentives for expat employees. Not being an expat means no longer qualifying for the scheme.

The ability to do ad-hoc work or even part-time or online work legally is a huge advantage, of course.

Oh I see. My situation as a business owner is different, and the advantages of citizenship have been significant.

I agree that the advantages of being a citizen of the country one lives in are always going to be significant, but everyone's situation is different, and there are sometimes disadvantages that come with it. But I think anyone would agree that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

• Like 1

I find this quite amusing. Being an employee, my tax payments will remain unchanged. A business owner can obviously start paying himself/herself less. I wonder if my employer will pass on to me the savings made for not having to pay a service provider to do my annual work permit and visa renewals. biggrin.png

Was born in Europe, lived in Europe till I was 3 years old, then moved to Thailand. Have always been living in Thailand on a student visa till I was 18 years old, when I tried applying for Thai citizenship - have a Thai mother so not much of a hassle.

All was going well, until the officer asked for 3 government officers to sign my documents. This is pretty weird, has anyone have any info on this? I assume it's because I was not born in Thailand?

Me and my parents had to contact upper management of the Pattaya city hall, until the mayor, vice-mayor of Pattaya and his friend agreed to help.

Got my ID card in late 2014, went to make a passport in early 2015 and since I wasn't 20 years old, needed signatures from both my parents.

But hey, got my Thai passport, with my farang name and all, guess I'll be one of those farangs in the 2015 statistics smile.png ?

Oh, I remember the day landing in Survarnabhumi airport, the queues were long as hell, and I never felt happier walking to the right with a Thai passport, passing the gates, which was only controlled by a computer, in just 10 seconds. Had to wait for my dad for half an hour.

Also, I've been thinking, I see some of you have gotten a Thai citizenship without having a single Thai parent, I think that would make a great documentary. A foreigner with no Thai parent talking about acquiring Thai citizenship is usually immediately shut down, as I have always believed that it was impossible otherwise, until you start researching.

Edited by MatteoBassini

Got my ID card in late 2014, went to make a passport in early 2015 and since I wasn't 20 years old, needed signatures from both my parents.

I guess you are looking forward to the Thai Military conscription lottery you must attend next year when you turn 21.

TH

I guess you are looking forward to the Thai Military conscription lottery you must attend next year when you turn 21.

TH

haha, that sounds exciting...

From my research, they don't accept luk kleungs with farang names. Either way, I think millitary conscription is a waste of everyone's time and I'm able to leave the country with my Italian passport that is now on overstay (lol).

TH

From my research, they don't accept luk kleungs with farang names. Either way, I think millitary conscription is a waste of everyone's time and I'm able to leave the country with my Italian passport that is now on overstay (lol).

I'm pretty sure I saw Mario Maurer on TV a couple months back sitting on the ground with his shirt off at the conscription lot-drawing with all the other potential recruits.

TH

I'm pretty sure I saw Mario Maurer on TV a couple months back sitting on the ground with his shirt off at the conscription lot-drawing with all the other potential recruits.
My son has an English first and family name. He went through the conscription process. Luckily he picked a black card so did not have to serve. So your research is definitely wrong.
  • Like 1

The most recent cases have been 9, 10 and 11 months between interview and oath taking.

Hi,

did these oath swearing guys procces their applications by a lawyer or them selves? Do the expensive lawyers have any influence, or is it the normal game, paying for this that come automatically?

Thx

The most recent cases have been 9, 10 and 11 months between interview and oath taking.

Hi,

did these oath swearing guys procces their applications by a lawyer or them selves? Do the expensive lawyers have any influence, or is it the normal game, paying for this that come automatically?

Thx

I can't honestly say. However, lawyers do not appear to provide any benefit. You pay for something it is easy enough to do yourself. They claim they can help, but in reality they can't. I, and most other applicants I know personally, did it ourselves.

TH

My son has an English first and family name. He went through the conscription process. Luckily he picked a black card so did not have to serve. So your research is definitely wrong.

Have heard that they can join the military, but cannot become officers. Not sure if true.

Why would a successful application mean paying more income tax? For me -- being now free of minimum salary requirements that getting a work permit requires -- it has meant a great savings.

There is a BOI scheme called ROH (Regional Office Headquarters) for multinational companies who keep their main base of operations in Thailand, which comes with some very useful tax incentives for expat employees. Not being an expat means no longer qualifying for the scheme.

The ability to do ad-hoc work or even part-time or online work legally is a huge advantage, of course.

It will take many years from applying till you got Thai ID card. Approx. the process takes 5 - 7 years, so between this time period many things can change.

It will take many years from applying till you got Thai ID card. Approx. the process takes 5 - 7 years, so between this time period many things can change.

I think you will find the process has greatly sped up since the military took over. Regulations have now been issued as to how long each step should take. A number of government units have already started to apply time limits in responding to or handling matters. This is supposed to be applied across all civil service units, although some are still only in the stage of drafting time frames before they are approved and applied. This is so that the public is better served and is made aware of how long things should take.

I think that once the backlog is cleared up you will find that the whole process could be only a couple of years. For example, in my case, the screening committee interview was on 30 January (my second due to a screw up), the ministerial committee sat in late March, forget the actual date but believe it was 30 March, and I will take the oath next week. FWIW I applied in June 2012. That seems pretty quick in the scheme of things. I know that the bottomless pit always seemed to be the Ministry of Interior, once they received your documents, and the wait could be years before you were invited to the screening committee interview, but that seems to be a thing of the past now.

Hopefully, things will not return to "business as usual" after elections.

I think you will find the process has greatly sped up since the military took over. Regulations have now been issued as to how long each step should take. A number of government units have already started to apply time limits in responding to or handling matters. This is supposed to be applied across all civil service units, although some are still only in the stage of drafting time frames before they are approved and applied. This is so that the public is better served and is made aware of how long things should take.

I think that once the backlog is cleared up you will find that the whole process could be only a couple of years. For example, in my case, the screening committee interview was on 30 January (my second due to a screw up), the ministerial committee sat in late March, forget the actual date but believe it was 30 March, and I will take the oath next week. FWIW I applied in June 2012. That seems pretty quick in the scheme of things. I know that the bottomless pit always seemed to be the Ministry of Interior, once they received your documents, and the wait could be years before you were invited to the screening committee interview, but that seems to be a thing of the past now.

Hopefully, things will not return to "business as usual" after elections.

Yes, fingers crossed that things don't return to Business as usual after elections, for recently approved PR like me, who needs to wait 5 years to be able to apply for citizenship. Most probably after the elections now.