Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Just to let people know, wife got her Thai ID card earlier this week. For a woman gaining citizenship via marriage, it is all rather boring.

A letter is issued by Speacial Branch saying you now have Thai citizenship and they attach a copy of the relvant section of the royal gazette. SB notorise each page and that is all the evidence you need. No special certificates, oaths, ceremonies. We felt kind of ripped off actually, but still, it cuts down the wait time!

You take that letter down to your district office, and along with two witnesses, the DO take down all your details plus the names of all your family and they process an ID number. Once the ID number is processed, you are then put in the blue book and then you then take that documentation to the ID card section, along with your citizenship letter, and get an ID card.

Our DO was a bit of a pain on the ID number issuance, and that process took 10 days, obstensibly cause October 1 is when the new 'boss' comes in and he needed time to settle in. The real reason is that we were asked for a gift basket but didn't give one. In true Thai style I smiled, said 'yes, sure I'll get one' and then never followed through. The lady who did ask for it though might be in for a surprise as I reported her to one of the commissioners of the anti-corruption commission who I know. We will see what happens.

The ID card people were great. They checked the documents and the ID card was done in 30 mins. Gratis. I think they normally cost 40 baht.

Yesterday we went down to the passport office and got a passport for my wife. They'll need to see the citizenship letter if this is the first time, as well as the house registry in addition to the ID card. Normally a Thai citizen just needs their ID card and a passport can be processed. They also took a scan of my wifes NZ passport for her Thai passport application.

A small note on that - we also applied for a passport for my daughter at the same time. Though she is onto her third one now there was a bit of an issue.

As my daughters Birth Certificate and house registration said she was born to a NZ mother, my wifes new Thai ID card was ironically not acceptable for the passport people (both parents need to sign off on the application). However my wifes NZ passport was fine. The passport office suggested to simplify things that we get the DO to ammend the house registration entry to show that he mother is now a Thai citizen - or otherwise bring along her NZ passport as that is the only form of ID she can use when guaranteeing she is the mother of our children.

All in all however, as per usual, the passport office were extremely efficient even in light of the discrepencies.

Following that, my wife went over to immigration at Chaeng Wattana to cancel her extension of stay. She got a handwritten notation in her NZ passport saying her entry has been cancelled as she is now a Thai citizen. That place gets worse each time we go. She got there at 10.30am and didn't leave till 5pm.

Still - we never have to go there ever again. Which makes it all worthwhile.

Congratulations and well done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your position was simply the order of the names provided by the MOI to the SB. I was number 22 if I recall correctly. I do not believe this has any bearing on when your name will be published. What delays there may be in publication would probably due to the fact that not all applicants have turned up for the oath. On Monday I was told that there are 3 more names in our batch, one of which will not be coming as they are overseas, but the other two should show soon. Once those two people show, the files will be passed to the forensic investigation division/dept for checking of fingerprints, before being sent to the MOI for announcement the Royal Gazette.

There was one batch prior to ours with 62 or 64 names in it. They will perhaps be announced separately from us. But as that batch was only very recently concluded, there should only be a matter of weeks between announcement of that batch and ours.

@GarryP - Were you able to find out whether these last 2 guys showed up for oath? And the status of these batches?

Your position was simply the order of the names provided by the MOI to the SB. I was number 22 if I recall correctly. I do not believe this has any bearing on when your name will be published. What delays there may be in publication would probably due to the fact that not all applicants have turned up for the oath. On Monday I was told that there are 3 more names in our batch, one of which will not be coming as they are overseas, but the other two should show soon. Once those two people show, the files will be passed to the forensic investigation division/dept for checking of fingerprints, before being sent to the MOI for announcement the Royal Gazette.

There was one batch prior to ours with 62 or 64 names in it. They will perhaps be announced separately from us. But as that batch was only very recently concluded, there should only be a matter of weeks between announcement of that batch and ours.

@GarryP - Were you able to find out whether these last 2 guys showed up for oath? And the status of these batches?

I never bothered following up because we should get our papers in the next few months anyway.

Just a thought. For those who use the one stop services at Chamchuree, once they get citizenship and have to cancel their visas and work permits, should they do it there or would they still need to go to Chaengwattana.

Just checked - The Royal Gazette are going to announce Thai naturalization list on 26-11-15 (around 270 persons) & on 3-12-15 (don't know how many). Congratulations to all the lucky ones in this list.

Just a thought. For those who use the one stop services at Chamchuree, once they get citizenship and have to cancel their visas and work permits, should they do it there or would they still need to go to Chaengwattana.

This is great news. Hopefully you and I and a number of other thread participants will be on one or the other of those lists. I think that there are around 5 or 6 of us whose names are due to be announced.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I am still not on both of these lists. I was sworn-in in October. The officials advised me that my documents might be either in SB or on the way to MOI. Once MOI received the documents from SB - they then will give the list and instruct Royal Gazette officials to announce the names.

Just checked - The Royal Gazette are going to announce Thai naturalization list on 26-11-15 (around 270 persons) & on 3-12-15 (don't know how many). Congratulations to all the lucky ones in this list.

This is great news. Hopefully you and I and a number of other thread participants will be on one or the other of those lists. I think that there are around 5 or 6 of us whose names are due to be announced.

Unfortunately I am still not on both of these lists. I was sworn-in in October. The officials advised me that my documents might be either in SB or on the way to MOI. Once MOI received the documents from SB - they then will give the list and instruct Royal Gazette officials to announce the names.

Then I am the same as you. We we both swore the oath on the same day. Damn, my hopes were up. But there are still a few on here who were interviewed before us so fingers crossed for them.

Edited by GarryP

Then I am the same as you. We we both swore the oath on the same day. Damn, my hopes were up. But there are still a few on here who were interviewed before us so fingers crossed for them.

DOPA says that they haven't received our documents from SB.

Once they receive the documents from SB - they will submit it to the minister for approval to put it for announcement (1-month) and the announcement officials will take another 1-2 months to announce it.

So we should be looking at March 2016, earliest, for our announcement.

This is very interesting news, as I believe I am one of the 270 (took my oath about 5 months ago, part of the large multiyear male backlog batch).

When my secretary called up BORA, they had no idea about the date of publication in the Royal Gazette. They only knew that the list of about 270 was in the process of being sent for publication. May I ask where you got the date of 26-11-15?

This is very interesting news, as I believe I am one of the 270 (took my oath about 5 months ago, part of the large multiyear male backlog batch).

When my secretary called up BORA, they had no idea about the date of publication in the Royal Gazette. They only knew that the list of about 270 was in the process of being sent for publication. May I ask where you got the date of 26-11-15?

From a friend who knows somebody and that somebody know somebody in Royal Gazette department

Garry, I think you will have to go to CW to cancel your visa, as I think the one-stop service can only do one thing, but better check first. I had to go to CW anyway to cancel PR. It only took about 15 minutes and they didn't even stamp my re-entry visa "cancelled" but I had no problem leaving the country on my Thai passport.

I didn't bother to cancel my WP and I think there is no need. I just let it expire and that didn't cause any complications. Remember to change your Social Security number to your new 13 digit ID number. Send them copies of your naturalisation certificate, ID card and tabien baan.

• Like 1

Any idea on what other documents required for Foreign Husband becoming Thai citizen at the District Office for (i) issuing blue book entry (Thai ID number issuance) (ii) ID card

The list of docs is the same as listed for foreign wives, plus you will need original and copies of your naturalisation certificate and the notarised copies of your RG announcement that SB will give you and they will ask for your work permit but probably won't care, if you haven't got it. If you have PR, they will want your residence and alien books too. I wasn't asked for any photographs or for a translation of my passport. The DO will give you a check list of docs they need, which may vary a bit from office to office, when you go to request your appointment. You will need everything at least times 2 - one for the tabien baan section and one for the ID card section. As Samran said prepare the Thai spellings of parents and siblings and of the cities and countries they reside in to save time. You probably did this all those years ago when you applied. Also Thai spellings of educational institutes you attended (I think it was only tertiary level). Of the 2 witnesses one can be your spouse, as Samran mentioned. Be patient with them because it is an onerous process for them too and they don't do it very often but ignore any requests for baksheesh, as they have no power to deny you and you are now a Thai citizen entitled to good service from BORA. Good luck.

• Like 2

Any idea on what other documents required for Foreign Husband becoming Thai citizen at the District Office for (i) issuing blue book entry (Thai ID number issuance) (ii) ID card

The list of docs is the same as listed for foreign wives, plus you will need original and copies of your naturalisation certificate and the notarised copies of your RG announcement that SB will give you and they will ask for your work permit but probably won't care, if you haven't got it. If you have PR, they will want your residence and alien books too. I wasn't asked for any photographs or for a translation of my passport. The DO will give you a check list of docs they need, which may vary a bit from office to office, when you go to request your appointment. You will need everything at least times 2 - one for the tabien baan section and one for the ID card section. As Samran said prepare the Thai spellings of parents and siblings and of the cities and countries they reside in to save time. You probably did this all those years ago when you applied. Also Thai spellings of educational institutes you attended (I think it was only tertiary level). Of the 2 witnesses one can be your spouse, as Samran mentioned. Be patient with them because it is an onerous process for them too and they don't do it very often but ignore any requests for baksheesh, as they have no power to deny you and you are now a Thai citizen entitled to good service from BORA. Good luck.

Therein lies my problem, I recently quit my job & gave up my work permit. I will join the new company around April 2016, I am taking a break for a while now. So if my announcement & papers come in Feb or March, would this create any issues?

Yesterday, 20 applicants were published in RG, hope to hear good news soon too. Good Luck to all applicants waiting to be published in RG.

Oasis

I tried to search for this on the RG web site without success. Any search tips?

Me too.

Go this link and search for ได้สัญชาติ

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/RKJ/announce/search.jsp

Thanks very much: that works great.

If I start from the homepage, I get redirected (I'm using Chrome) to a search form on http://www.mratchakitcha.soc.go.th/, which doesn't seem to work properly.

I was having the same problem as you.

That link gives me a 404 (not found).

Here's the list

นายการ์ทา เลบไบ รามซานอาลี อันเวอร์ อาลี

นายโฮซ้ง หลิน

นายมาซาฟูมิ วาตานูกิ

นายชีเว่ย โจ

นางสาวเนียน หยุน ซื่อ

นางสาวซีซี ลิน

นายเยี่ยนจู หลี่

นายเจี้ยนฮุย วู

นายชิน ฮัน โจ

นายเจ๋อ เหวย ลี

นายจุ้น เหวย ลี

นางสาวซิน ซัน ใช่

นายจุ้นฮั่น หลิน

นางสาวปี้หรู หลิน

นายกิง ยี่ จวง

นายเส้าเสียง จวง

นายจิ่ง-เหวิน จวง

นายอังเดร์ โยฮันเนส แอนโทนี่ มาคิลเซ่น

นายโรเบิร์ต ปีเตอร์ เคอร์ อ

นายชอง หัว เชน

Seems all but 2 are chinese names.

Which accurately reflects the make-up of the applicant pool.

Some posts repeating the same list of names removed just to reduce clutter.

To view the RG announcements use Internet Explorer and paste in the URL

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/RKJ/special/search.jsp

In the search box at the top of the left hand column paste in การได้สัญชาติไทย and click on the search command.

Go to the last page of announcements and you should find the latest announcements.

No need to post all the names here.

• Like 1

Therein lies my problem, I recently quit my job & gave up my work permit. I will join the new company around April 2016, I am taking a break for a while now. So if my announcement & papers come in Feb or March, would this create any issues?

It shouldn't be a problem. When I went to make the appointment at the DO, the WP was in the checklist of docs they asked me to bring but mine was with my HR department to change the company name. They said it didn't matter but in the event I got it back before the appointment. They don't need to check you are still working. They just need to check you are you and you are really entitled to an ID card. So they ask for as much as possible.

Where not having a WP would be a real problem would be, if you were asked for it and couldn't produce it at or before the MOI interview. That would mean you were no longer qualified and your application would be rejected. I was asked to bring my current and previous WP along to the MOI a week before my interview because SB hadn't bothered to include a copy of the previous one in the application, even though the current one covered less than the mandatory three years prior to the application date. When I went to the interview, they didn't check any of my documentation, except to check my ID but I think you can assume not having a WP at that stage is something to be avoided at all costs.

When you do the oath of allegiance you have to submit copies of all docs when you get fingerprinted again as part of the process of checking you are still you. I don't know, if it would be a problem not to have a WP then. SB didn't check the docs carefully in my presence but they might have called up, if something was missing. I suspect you might be able get away without having a WP at that stage but it would be better to avoid that situation, if possible.