Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

It shouldn't be a problem. When I went to make the appointment at the DO, the WP was in the checklist of docs they asked me to bring but mine was with my HR department to change the company name. They said it didn't matter but in the event I got it back before the appointment. They don't need to check you are still working. They just need to check you are you and you are really entitled to an ID card. So they ask for as much as possible.

Where not having a WP would be a real problem would be, if you were asked for it and couldn't produce it at or before the MOI interview. That would mean you were no longer qualified and your application would be rejected. When you do the oath of allegiance you have to submit copies of all docs when you get fingerprinted again as part of the process you are still you. I don't know, if it would be a problem not to have a WP then. SB didn't check the docs carefully in my presence but they might have called up, if something was missing. I suspect you might be able get away without having a WP at that stage but it would be better to avoid that situation, if possible.

I had the work permit during MOI interview and had the work permit during my oath ceremony and submitted to SB. I just quit the job a few weeks ago and would like to take a break.

If having WP is still necessary, I might have to go back to work again get the WP until I get my ID.

It shouldn't be a problem. When I went to make the appointment at the DO, the WP was in the checklist of docs they asked me to bring but mine was with my HR department to change the company name. They said it didn't matter but in the event I got it back before the appointment. They don't need to check you are still working. They just need to check you are you and you are really entitled to an ID card. So they ask for as much as possible.

Where not having a WP would be a real problem would be, if you were asked for it and couldn't produce it at or before the MOI interview. That would mean you were no longer qualified and your application would be rejected. When you do the oath of allegiance you have to submit copies of all docs when you get fingerprinted again as part of the process you are still you. I don't know, if it would be a problem not to have a WP then. SB didn't check the docs carefully in my presence but they might have called up, if something was missing. I suspect you might be able get away without having a WP at that stage but it would be better to avoid that situation, if possible.

I had the work permit during MOI interview and had the work permit during my oath ceremony and submitted to SB. I just quit the job a few weeks ago and would like to take a break.

If having WP is still necessary, I might have to go back to work again get the WP until I get my ID.

I think you are OK once you've done the oath. There should be no reason to check your WP after that and the next step should be your announcement in the RG. At that point you are legally Thai and there is nothing anyone do about it. Nevertheless, when you go to the DO I would suggest you tell them your WP is not available for some reason, rather than admit you don't have one unnecessarily. Some of the DO officers still have the old attitude that their role in life is to pee on their fellow citizens from a great height but fortunately they are a dying breed.

• Like 2

I think you are OK once you've done the oath. There should be no reason to check your WP after that and the next step should be your announcement in the RG. At that point you are legally Thai and there is nothing anyone do about it. Nevertheless, when you go to the DO I would suggest you tell them your WP is not available for some reason, rather than admit you don't have one unnecessarily. Some of the DO officers still have the old attitude that their role in life is to pee on their fellow citizens from a great height but fortunately they are a dying breed.

Folks who took the oath in Mid October 2015, SB sent the documents to MOI today. MOI official mentioned the next step is to submit the latest list of names to Interior Minister for approval to be published in Royal Gazette. Time line - no more than 3 months. Hopefully the list will be published by March 2016 or latest April 2016

• Like 2

Just checked - The Royal Gazette are going to announce Thai naturalization list on 26-11-15 (around 270 persons) & on 3-12-15 (don't know how many). Congratulations to all the lucky ones in this list.

Applicants waiting, hope 270 applicants will be announce in RG within this month. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked - The Royal Gazette are going to announce Thai naturalization list on 26-11-15 (around 270 persons) & on 3-12-15 (don't know how many). Congratulations to all the lucky ones in this list.

Unfortunately, there do not appear to have been any naturalizations announced in the RG today (26-11-15).

Unfortunately, there do not appear to have been any naturalizations announced in the RG today (26-11-15).

I will check with my contact today

I will check with my contact today

Seems like that there are some changes in the name so the royal gazette department has sent the list back to MOI for correction. The word is that the latest date for announcement will be next Monday (30-11-15)

• Like 1

Seems like that there are some changes in the name so the royal gazette department has sent the list back to MOI for correction. The word is that the latest date for announcement will be next Monday (30-11-15)

Thanks very much for checking. I will keep my fingers crossed for Monday.

• Like 1

Any news yet for an annoucement ?

10th of Nov annoucnment? Or did I miss it?

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2558/E/292/6.PDF

Brastgreek said that an announcement of 270 names was to be made on 26 or 27 November, but it was postponed until today as there was an error in name(s) in the draft announcement.

Is this good news for any of the current posters? I seem to recall that this is the list of those who took the oath in July 2015, making it just over 4 months between oath and announcement. If this holds true for the October lot we are looking at late February before their names are announced.

I am on the list. I took the oath in June; for me, it was 5 months and 3 weeks between oath and announcement.

I submitted my application back in January 2008, so by the time I get my ID card it will be about 8 years total. I got PR (based on investment) in 2002, after applying in 2000, so the whole process (from nothing i.e. tourist visa to Thai ID card) will have taken me about 16 years.

• Like 1

I am on the list. I took the oath in June; for me, it was 5 months and 3 weeks between oath and announcement.

I submitted my application back in January 2008, so by the time I get my ID card it will be about 8 years total. I got PR (based on investment) in 2002, after applying in 2000, so the whole process (from nothing i.e. tourist visa to Thai ID card) will have taken me about 16 years.

Congratulations. A long process for you but you are nearly over the last hurdle. If lucky you should be able to get you ID card just before the end of the year.

I applied in July 2012 and took the oath in October 2015 so hopefully it will be less than 4 years for me. Never bothered with PR.

• Like 1

I submitted the last of my documents for my application on Monday, and got a call today asking me to come and collect the application form to fill in and return.

I guess this means they have determined that I qualify to apply?

They said to fill in the four forms (one for wifey, one for each of the two people who will vouch for my good character, and a long one for me) and bring them back as soon as possible, then they will make an appointment for the actual application.

They also said that the application would only take 1-2 hours, but I don't imagine how this can be true - it took 3 hours just to give them the documents, only to find three errors in them.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect at the point where I go with my wife to submit the actual application?

Thanks in advance!

I think I was maximally unlucky in my timings. My PR application got stuck for a long time with Purachai as IM. Then my citizenship application was one of the oldest in the backlog that has been cleared by Anupong. If I had been just a little bit quicker getting my citizenship application in, I might have got my citizenship some years ago.

At the time I applied for citizenship, I was single, so I had to get PR. During the wait, I met and married my wife, and we've had a child! I am hoping that my son and I will be able to get our first Thai passports at the same time.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread. It has been a big help. And good luck to everybody waiting. Let's hope the process continues to run as quickly as it has since Anupong has taken over.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all luck ones.

Guys, once you get your certificate and letter from SB, can you take a picture and post it on the thread (of course, you can delete the names, contact and reference numbers). I have searched for a copy of the naturalization documents that you receive from SB however I couldn't find any on net. Just curious, whats mentioned therein. I heard from somebody on the forum that these certificates are worth putting it in the frame.

Hi.

I am on the Dec 2nd RG list as well.

Question is: what happens next? And Timeframe?

Reason is, I am going to Europe on 17th Dec for 3 weeks.

My re-entry has expired, and it would be quite convenient not having to go through the Re-entry application again.

Or is it wishfull thinking to have a Thai PP before Dec 17?

Cheers

Hi.

My re-entry has expired, and it would be quite convenient not having to go through the Re-entry application again.

Cheers

Not sure but I don't think you would have to keep your permanent residency valid since you have already been approved for citizenship.

Perhaps leave without the re-entry permit and then enter on visa exempt entry if you qualify for it.

Hi.

Cheers

Not sure but I don't think you would have to keep your permanent residency valid since you have already been approved for citizenship.

Perhaps leave without the re-entry permit and then enter on visa exempt entry if you qualify for it.

If you have got this far, don't you think it would be best to play safe and just go and get a re-entry stamp. If it were me, I would not take the risk of hoping for the best. After all the hoops you have to jump through (and they do say you have to maintain your visa or PR until the last minute), please go and get the re-entry. In the whole scheme of things it would not hurt.

Hello! Gentlemen, and congrats on your citizenships.

Now im quite green in this field, so that's why i'll ask here,

I'm a 23 year old Swedish male, married to a 22 year old Thai, and togeather we have 4 months old daugther (She currently just holds Swedish passport but I will fix the birth certificate in time for her to get a Thai citizenship aswell ofcourse),

However, I've been in Thailand on and off for 3-4 years, Currently back in Sweden with the family for a few months, our marriage is yet so far just registrated in Sweden but I will ofcourse fix so it's also valid in Thailand.

I have a dream and that is to obtain a Thai passport for myself before i turn 40 years.

What I wonder is, I read that some say you can apply for citizenship without PR? if it is for Marriage? is that true?

Does that mean all I need to do is to have my NON O marriage extended for 3 years and I need during these years shown an "Taxed" income of 40.000 THB ?

Ive tried reading through this thread but it seems alot of it have changed. so I would like an up to date "How to do list" to accomplish my goal as soon as possible,

My thai is good at speaking level not fluent and my reading and writing level is the same as a 7 year old Thai.

But it is indeed a work in progress,

I will maybe also start to document this journey, from the start to the end.

So main question here, is it possible for me to apply for citizenship without having a PR if im married to my Thai wife? and if so what criteras?

Thank you

Kind regards

Niclas

You are already qualified to apply for Thai citizenship with PR on the basis of marriage to a Thai (this has been possible since 2008) but you will also need to show to show that you have been working in Thailand on a salary of at least B40k a month for at least 3 calendar years. You must be currently employed in Thailand at the time of application and will have to maintain your employment for the duration of your application which might take several years. It is OK to change jobs but the changeover must be continuous without a period of unemployment. You also need to be in a yellow tabien baan or house registration book and be able to show contributions to registered Thai charities. Your current level of spoken Thai should be sufficient as no reading and writing ability is required, although there are optional reading and writing tests for a few points. You need to get at least 50 points in the police assessment which covers things like age, salary, educational qualifications, Thai language, knowledge of Thailand, and length of residence as PR. These are probably the main things.

Probably the main thing you need to work on is moving back to Thailand and getting a full time job. The process is quite tedious and time consuming and many people encounter unexpected obstacles that need to be overcome (usually in the form of some document that is not quite in order and needs to be corrected). So you need to be really determined that you want this but, if you are and make the necessary effort, your persistence will be paid off in the end.

For more information see this article that was updated by myself in 2014 http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html .

Also see attached my translations of pertinent documents (except Nationality Act not my translation).

attachicon.gifGuidelines for Application for Naturalization 14 Oct 2009 EN.doc

attachicon.gifDocuments required 2009 (2).doc

attachicon.gifPoints Allocation 2010 2 EN.doc

attachicon.gifNationality_Act_Eng_amended_until_2008.pdf

Note that you would apply under Section 10 and Section 11.4 (the waiver from needing PR or knowledge of Thai language) of the Nationality Act.

The waiver from knowledge of Thai language doesn't exempt you from being interviewed in Thai or doing the tests in Thai but it does mean you only do a short interview at the Interior Ministry with your wife, who can help you out, if necessary, as opposed to the longer solo interview for those who don't have a Thai spouse. It also very importantly for tone deaf applicants exempts you from having to sing the National and Royal Anthems.

Getting a house registration in Bangkok is strongly advised as Special Branch at National Police HQ in Bangkok has dedicated staff to process applications. Those resident in the provinces have to apply to their provincial Special Branch offices who have no dedicated staff and may mess up your application or even refuse to process it, because it is too much hassle for them.

Is there anything to stop someone setting up their own company, employing the necessary amount of Thais, getting your own WP and paying staff and oneself the required salaries and tax for the 3 years plus?

RAZZ

Hello! Gentlemen, and congrats on your citizenships.

Now im quite green in this field, so that's why i'll ask here,

I'm a 23 year old Swedish male, married to a 22 year old Thai, and togeather we have 4 months old daugther (She currently just holds Swedish passport but I will fix the birth certificate in time for her to get a Thai citizenship aswell ofcourse),

However, I've been in Thailand on and off for 3-4 years, Currently back in Sweden with the family for a few months, our marriage is yet so far just registrated in Sweden but I will ofcourse fix so it's also valid in Thailand.

I have a dream and that is to obtain a Thai passport for myself before i turn 40 years.

What I wonder is, I read that some say you can apply for citizenship without PR? if it is for Marriage? is that true?

Does that mean all I need to do is to have my NON O marriage extended for 3 years and I need during these years shown an "Taxed" income of 40.000 THB ?

Ive tried reading through this thread but it seems alot of it have changed. so I would like an up to date "How to do list" to accomplish my goal as soon as possible,

My thai is good at speaking level not fluent and my reading and writing level is the same as a 7 year old Thai.

But it is indeed a work in progress,

I will maybe also start to document this journey, from the start to the end.

So main question here, is it possible for me to apply for citizenship without having a PR if im married to my Thai wife? and if so what criteras?

Thank you

Kind regards

Niclas

You are already qualified to apply for Thai citizenship with PR on the basis of marriage to a Thai (this has been possible since 2008) but you will also need to show to show that you have been working in Thailand on a salary of at least B40k a month for at least 3 calendar years. You must be currently employed in Thailand at the time of application and will have to maintain your employment for the duration of your application which might take several years. It is OK to change jobs but the changeover must be continuous without a period of unemployment.

Is there anything to stop someone setting up their own company, employing the necessary amount of Thais, getting your own WP and paying staff and oneself the required salaries and tax for the 3 years plus?

RAZZ

Yes, it's called common sense.