BANGKOK 22 July 2019 14:32
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

to the OP or to anyone who knows the right answer,

I have questions with the following requirements in the Thai citizenship procedure:

"If working in Thailand, he or she must have an income of at least 80,000 baht a month or have paid taxes in the year the citizenship application is made of 100,000 baht or more." --- What if not working in Thailand but remitting income from other country where I'm working from? Can I pay tax even not working in Thailand?

"He or she must have lived in Thailand contunously for at least five years before applying." --- This does not mention any residency permit. Will I be considered to have lived continously in Thailand with only Non-B (spouse) visa for the last five years?

Thanks...

thai_narak:

where you got that from?

can you post the link with the whole content?

it's from the link provided by the OP...

http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=759

Congrats Mate. Job well done. Given the opportunity I would love to have a Thai Passport in addition to my US one. Currently have a resident and work visa for China, PRC. Did not have to sing the National Anthem but did have to give allot of blood and undergo every medical test under the sun.

Which brings me to my question, Does Thailand allow dual citizenship? I have a young son that is a dual citizen and holds both Thai and US passports. I was told when he reaches the age of 18 he is no longer eligable under Thai law to hold a passport of another country. Is this true or is it urban legend?

Well done !

Congratulation ;-)

I am curious to know how many farang got it the last few years

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons !

If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as useful.

But you kept schtuum on this.

But otherwise ... Why bother ?

1. You can buy land ... Ok.

2. You can drive a Tuk Tuk ... Yea Ok I guess.

3. Entry to the Grand Palace ... Ok if you go every weekend.

4. You can own a business ... Mmmm.

5. No comment.

6. So Bt 1,900 a year is a problem for you ?

7. :o

8. Ok.

9. Sounds like you are on the Lam.

10. Why would you want to vote ?.

Naka.

The OP has decided to be a 1st class citizen in the country he's chosen to live in...Congratulations to him for achieving it. Its better than being a second class resident - from a rich country.

Congrats Mate. Job well done. Given the opportunity I would love to have a Thai Passport in addition to my US one. Currently have a resident and work visa for China, PRC. Did not have to sing the National Anthem but did have to give allot of blood and undergo every medical test under the sun.

Which brings me to my question, Does Thailand allow dual citizenship? I have a young son that is a dual citizen and holds both Thai and US passports. I was told when he reaches the age of 18 he is no longer eligable under Thai law to hold a passport of another country. Is this true or is it urban legend?

Thai law states that the holder of dual nationality through birth *should* (not *must*) make a choice by a certain age. I forget how old. However, there is no legal obligation to do so, and no penalty imposed for not doing so. Most people therefore don't boither and continue to hold dual nationality. In the case of acquisition of Thai nationality through naturalisation, there is no requirement to renounce your existing nationality, so long as your "old country" allows dual/plural citizenship, which mine does.

Not sure why you chose to go through all this humiliation ! But you obviously had your reasons !

If you are from Africa or the Indian Sub-Continent or such, then Thai citizenship may be regarded as useful.

5. No comment.

8. Ok.

Naka.

The OP has decided to be a 1st class citizen in the country he's chosen to live in...Congratulations to him for achieving it. Its better than being a second class resident - from a rich country.

The poster quoted the figure of 1,900 Baht for a resident return visa, which is incomplete information with respect to the requirements for PR re-entry, so I will respond to the poster's comments simply for the benefit of new PR's who should be aware of the rules before attempting to leave Thailand, or risk losing their PR.

In order to be allowed to leave the country and return again with PR status, a PR holder needs the following:

1) A non-quota immigrant visa in your passport - cost for 1-year multiple entry is is 3,800 Baht

2) An endorsement in your certiificate of residence - cost for a 1-year endorsement is 1,900 Baht

The total is therefore 5,700 Baht per year, not 1,900 Baht.

To get the above, you need to bring your Alien Registration Certificate and Tabien Bahn to the immigration office, along with a photo, your certificate of residence and passport. You apply one day and pick up the completed documents the next.

New PRs who have never left Thailand should note that both the passport with visa AND endorsed certificate of residence must be presented to immigration on departure and re-entry to Thailand in order to maintain PR.

A PR who never leaves the country does not need the above and therefore pays nothing, but you have to pay the above if you want to leave and re-enter as a PR. If you are out of Thailand without the above or if either of the above expire even by just one day, then you automatically lose your PR and you have to begin the whole application process again from scratch.

Both the abbove are valid for one year, hence a PR can spand a maximum of one year out if he or she wants to return to Thailand with PR status.

Thai law states that the holder of dual nationality through birth *should* (not *must*) make a choice by a certain age. I forget how old. However, there is no legal obligation to do so, and no penalty imposed for not doing so. Most people therefore don't boither and continue to hold dual nationality. In the case of acquisition of Thai nationality through naturalisation, there is no requirement to renounce your existing nationality, so long as your "old country" allows dual/plural citizenship, which mine does.

D, Thanks for the info. :o

Hi dbreen,

Great news to read about your quest to obtain a full Thai citizenship. Congrats ! May Buddha bless you !

I had heard that the Thai id card with different starting number .

The begining if the 13 digit Thai ID card can start with

Or is there somemore? I am not sure. If anyone can add to the list?

I was told :

If number start with #3 means Thai by birth

If number start with #5 means for those born in the hilltribes and registered in Thai hospital for birth cert.

If number start with #8 means for those transfer of citizenship. So far, I only seen transfer of citizenship for those long term hilltribe immigrants.

Can you please tell us what is your the first number on your Thai ID card?

Thanks !

5. No comment.

8. Ok.

Naka.

The poster quoted the figure of 1,900 Baht for a resident return visa, which is incomplete information with respect to the requirements for PR re-entry, so I will respond to the poster's comments simply for the benefit of new PR's who should be aware of the rules before attempting to leave Thailand, or risk losing their PR.

In order to be allowed to leave the country and return again with PR status, a PR holder needs the following:

1) A non-quota immigrant visa in your passport - cost for 1-year multiple entry is is 3,800 Baht

2) An endorsement in your certiificate of residence - cost for a 1-year endorsement is 1,900 Baht

The total is therefore 5,700 Baht per year, not 1,900 Baht.

To get the above, you need to bring your Alien Registration Certificate and Tabien Bahn to the immigration office, along with a photo, your certificate of residence and passport. You apply one day and pick up the completed documents the next.

New PRs who have never left Thailand should note that both the passport with visa AND endorsed certificate of residence must be presented to immigration on departure and re-entry to Thailand in order to maintain PR.

A PR who never leaves the country does not need the above and therefore pays nothing, but you have to pay the above if you want to leave and re-enter as a PR. If you are out of Thailand without the above or if either of the above expire even by just one day, then you automatically lose your PR and you have to begin the whole application process again from scratch.

Both the abbove are valid for one year, hence a PR can spand a maximum of one year out if he or she wants to return to Thailand with PR status.

Hi and congrats again,

Just a minor comment on the annual PR requirements (visa and endorsement), fresh in my mind because just done them.Formalities can now be completed in less than an hour with all documents returned completed.It's done upstairs now not on ground floor as before.You don't actually need the Tabien Bahn, at least I have never needed it - just the passport, blue book and police red book.I'm not entirely sure in fact whether latter is needed but I bring it along anyway.

I was told :

If number start with #3 means Thai by birth

If number start with #5 means for those born in the hilltribes and registered in Thai hospital for birth cert.

If number start with #8 means for those transfer of citizenship. So far, I only seen transfer of citizenship for those long term hilltribe immigrants.

Can you please tell us what is your the first number on your Thai ID card?

I've got a 5 at the beginning of my Thai ID number. And yes, I'm an overseas born Thai national.

My Daughter, born here while not having an ID card yet (she is only a baby), the first number of her ID is a '1'. This may or may not change when she grows up ang gets her ID card.

and you need to have a clean criminal record.

I don't have a criminal record so I guess I don't qualify. I thought Australia was the only country with this requirement...

A lot of folks here getting over-excited over NOTHING...

You are looking at a process ("lottery" would be a far more adequate term) which overall lasts more than 10 years (and during which you can't simply live but HAVE TO WORK, even if you don't want/have to, in a 3rd world country).

Just ONE of the pre-requisite, the PR, has an annual limit of 100 PRs per nationality (limit which, AFAIK, is not even usually reached. And not for lack of applications).

The icing on the cake is the difference in treatment between male and female applicants...

You sure you would want to swear your loyalty to such a country?

My wife has got Italian "PR" just marrying me (no work/taxes/years of residence etc required) and has been able to ask for citizenship after 6 months of marriage (if living in Italy, 2 years if living abroad).

The process lasts 1.5/2 years, has cost us 2 trips to the provincial police station and administrative court and a total of € 600 (mostly spent for the Thai side of it, which is also where we have experienced the most of the hassles like the Thai embassy not knowing/wanting to do its duties and forcing my wife to personally go back to Thailand to get some paperwork). We have just had the visit from the local police verifying the situation described in the application.

The only real requisite is having a clean criminal record (no work/taxes/years of residence etc required, even the criminal record doesn't have to be "spotless", just nothing major in it) and there are no sex-based and nationality-based discriminations...

I will repeat here what I usually write when comparing our GFs'/BFs'/spouses' homecountry with our own: the only effective way to deal with the problems foreigners have in our home countries and that we have in foreign countries is RECIPROCATING the s.hit we get anywhere in the world outside of our tiny, fragile Western bubble of civilization. And if that means kicking out of my home country my Thai wife because we don't have a combined monthly income of 6/7 times the average Italian wage (as Thailand does), so be it.

Edited by BAF

A lot of folks here getting over-excited over NOTHING...

You are looking at a process ("lottery" would be a far more adequate term) which overall lasts more than 10 years (and during which you can't simply live but HAVE TO WORK, even if you don't want/have to, in a 3rd world country).

Just ONE of the pre-requisite, the PR, has an annual limit of 100 PRs per nationality (limit which, AFAIK, is not even usually reached. And not for lack of applications).

The icing on the cake is the difference in treatment between male and female applicants...

You sure you would want to swear your loyalty to such a country?

My wife has got Italian "PR" just marrying me (no work/taxes/years of residence etc required) and has been able to ask for citizenship after 6 months of marriage (if living in Italy, 2 years if living abroad).

The process lasts 1.5/2 years, has cost us 2 trips to the provincial police station and administrative court and a total of € 600 (mostly spent for the Thai side of it, which is also where we have experienced the most of the hassles like the Thai embassy not knowing/wanting to do its duties and forcing my wife to personally go back to Thailand to get some paperwork). We have just had the visit from the local police verifying the situation described in the application.

The only real requisite is having a clean criminal record (no work/taxes/years of residence etc required, even the criminal record doesn't have to be "spotless", just nothing major in it) and there are no discriminations between males, females and nationalities...

I will repeat here what I usually write when comparing our GFs'/BFs'/spouses' homecountry with our own: the only effective way to deal with the problems foreigners have in our home countries and that we have in foreign countries is RECIPROCATING the s.hit we get anywhere in the world outside of our tiny, fragile Western bubble of civilization. And if that means kicking out of my home country my Thai wife because we don't have a combined monthly income of 6/7 times the average Italian wage (as Thailand does), so be it.

Aren't you glad you are in Italy? <I am!>

Aren't you glad you ARE NOT from Thailand? <I wish you were!>

• Like 1

Aren't you glad you ARE NOT from Thailand? <I wish you were!>

Nope :o I love it here :D Live here :D Have a life here :D and not knocking it from 10,000 kms away!

I am genuinely happy for the OP! Have considered the PR thing soon myself :D I would consider citizenship as well!

All in all, I am not bitter and whining!