Chonburi reports 149 new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

It's a real shock to be sure!  Up until this year I felt so safe being here in the Kingdom, compared to family and friends in the US and Europe.  Now, without hope to receive a vaccination until at least June, I am seriously on edge.

I am not in a high risk group and if I did contract the virus I feel reasonably assured I'd survive it, but what really hit home for me was realizing that if you do contract it, UNLESS I AM SERIOUSLY MISINFORMED, by legal mandate, you must be transported to a government field hospital until you test negative.  THAT scares the hell out of me!

I'm under that impression because a number of residents in the condo next to mine were suspected of being infected and were transported to a hospital last night, according to a policeman when I asked what was going on.  I got the impression they did not have a choice.

Does anyone here have a definitive answer if this is really so, or would you be able to self quarantine in your own home?

I believe that the field hospitals are free; most expats presumably have decent health insurance so will miraculously be found beds in a proper hospital!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PGSan said:

I thought that an AMPHOE is subsidiary to a TAMBON.

Did I get it the wrong way round?

It's very confusing to me too but I asked several Thai people and they all said a Tambon is a subdistrict of an Amphoe.

A Tambon is a local governmental unit in Thailand. Below district (amphoe) and province (changwat), they form the third administrative subdivision level.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I agree 100%.  We Farangs are guests here in the Kingdom.  I don't think it's too much for us all to show a little respect, and yet some seem to think they are above this, or just plain oblivious to common courtesies.  For Americans who act like this, it's often referred to as the "Ugly American" syndrome.

I doubt many expats here are really "guests" unless they were invited here!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I doubt many expats here are really "guests" unless they were invited here!

Well the way I see it, we have no god-given right to be living here.  We are here at the behest of the people of Thailand.  That makes us "guests", and we therefore should show some basic respect to the people that allow us to live in such a wonderful place.  That's just my take on it.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am not denying anything! You are misrepresenting me. Show me ONE SINGLE SENTENCE in which I deny or refute. On the contrary. I assert science has been manipulated and give two examples. I suggest scientists have differed in their opinions as is demonstrated by  two major London Universities making two quite different  epidemiological predictions. This is not a denial. Quite the opposite. It's non extreme  informed awareness which for which you insult and smear me  in a personal manner. Science has been politicized since the 17th Century when Galileo made his early discoveries. Not a lot has changed. I will give you one final example. In March 2020 in a phone call to the  UK I expressed dismay at the British airports being fully open even to people arriving from countries where Covid was raging! I was told closing the airports in the UK would be politically unacceptable and could be construed as racist by some communities in the UK. Over one year later UK airports are closing down but not prevent foreigners arriving only...but to prevent British  people leaving! This is a politically informed decision as much as a scientific one. And it worries me.

Well put.

Some off topic posts that are hijacking the topic have been removed, topic is about:

Chonburi reports 149 new COVID-19 cases

It is not about the US the UK Tedros or WHO or anything else outside of Chonburi.

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Please can you explain this further.  I had thought there was no such problem.

Testing has always been a bit of a problem.  They just don't make enough test kits here.  And now, it's really hard to get a test, with results taking 4 days to process!!

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

A Tambon is a local governmental unit in Thailand. Below district (amphoe) and province (changwat), they form the third administrative subdivision level.

I just discovered that there is both an amphoe and a tambon, both named Bang Lamung.    No wonder I am confused!  Life down here in Sattahip is far simpler.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. I stated that science has been manipulated for political purposes. In the UK due to lack of PPE last March the government used science to discourage the use of face masks which I found astonishing and wrong. They have since reversed the advice. Also in the UK coastal authorities discouraged visitors because crowded  beaches were 'dangerous' and spread covid. It transpired this was false science and that there is no scientific evidence behind the claim. It is beyond  me why you should link me to David Icke merely because I pointed out an obviously, much discussed issue. I suggest  you come from a long line of smearers and insulters who seeks to demean people with whom you disagree or more likely can't understand their basic premis or their right to hold such an opinion.

PPE wearing was discouraged for the public because there wasn’t enough for front line personnel. Not a science based decision.

I am unaware of any scientific studies of Covid spread at the beach.

Not all political edicts are science based.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I got really irritated by a couple of westerners walking through Big CX this morning mask less. So I told them.... 

Just seems very disrespectful of a country allowing them to remain, and yet they scoff the rules. Bad enough with the idiots who can't seem to get it over their big noses!

Yes they wear mask to enter then take them off. I saw one guy with two kids last week doing that. It dreadful.

53 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

PPE wearing was discouraged for the public because there wasn’t enough for front line personnel. Not a science based decision.

I am unaware of any scientific studies of Covid spread at the beach.

Not all political edicts are science based.

It was discouraged because 'expert' scientists said it might lead to covid spreading. In the UK.  You are unaware of any studies suggesting covid spreads at beaches!!! Precisely!!!!!. This view was espoused by local politicians in the West Country. It was later refuted by a noted scientist and epidemiologist in The Guardian who went on further to make comment about not just the inaccuracy of such reports but also how photographic angles were used to give the impression of overcrowded beaches.

You say: 'Not all politicial edicts are based on science'.  THAT IS THE POINT of my comments. If science was followed rigorously Football would  not be allowed as it allows tackling which breaks scientific advice on social distancing! 'The Science' has indubitably been used selectively thus allowing the creeps, weirdos and vaccine denier types oxygen! And it really all started in the case of the UK with the false information about masks being promulgated by the government and their scientists months after other countries had demonstrated their likely effectiveness..

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It's very confusing to me too but I asked several Thai people and they all said a Tambon is a subdistrict of an Amphoe.

Ask Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tambon

All Pattaya and Chonburi residents, many of them working in bars, or other Establishments should have been thoroughly tested a while ago.

Not having done so was the reason for the so called 3rd wave. Of course would the testing also include all night clubs and bar employees in Bangkok.

Now we are talking about a very high number of people, the country wasn't able to test.

Of course will we now feel the aftermath of it. And there'll be a lot more positive cases in the near future. 

Being sick is considered as negativ, so people will not tell the truth. 

Bar girls who come back to the village find their ways to make some money and not many tell their friends what they did before.

It's just common sense and if the government didn't foresee that, then it failed. 

Edited by Covedian21
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Kurtf said:

You are mistaken. Herd immunity was accomplished with the Spanish Flu in 1919. There was no vaccine.

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It was discouraged because 'expert' scientists said it might lead to covid spreading. In the UK.  You are unaware of any studies suggesting covid spreads at beaches!!! Precisely!!!!!. This view was espoused by local politicians in the West Country. It was later refuted by a noted scientist and epidemiologist in The Guardian who went on further to make comment about not just the inaccuracy of such reports but also how photographic angles were used to give the impression of overcrowded beaches.

You say: 'Not all politicial edicts are based on science'.  THAT IS THE POINT of my comments. If science was followed rigorously Football would  not be allowed as it allows tackling which breaks scientific advice on social distancing! 'The Science' has indubitably been used selectively thus allowing the creeps, weirdos and vaccine denier types oxygen! And it really all started in the case of the UK with the false information about masks being promulgated by the government and their scientists months after other countries had demonstrated their likely effectiveness..

It can spread at the beach.  Easily.  If you don't wear a mask and don't social distance.  It's airborne, it can spread.