What is this. Bee, Wasp or Bird.

1 hour ago, Brahmz said:

Likely an ants nest. Big brown tree ants. Keep away as they can inflict severe stings/bites.

Very true. I had several such in my hedges. Got fed up with getting ant bites from walking in my own yard. 

Put a rag on the end of a stick, douse with gasoline, and pay them a visit. Beware as they are hyper aggressive and will follow the pole back to your hand. 

You will be shocked to see thousands of larvae being nursed in one large ball shielded by leaves. They spawn new colonies and spread very rapidly. 

I give nearly all living things a pass until they destroy or harm me or mine. Then it's all out war. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Investigate and you ll know. You see bees, wasps, hornets flying in?

You see birds occupying it? Or close to that tree you will have lots of ants?

As suggested , ask Thai. I know they hunt on ants nests in trees for the eggs.

They take the eggs for eating, mostly you see Thai walking around with bamboo sticks and a net to get it.

Thai seems to be eager on it to eat and it is good business.

So maybe not an ants nest or they cant get into your garden? As they will come and get it instantly, they room areas for ants nests.

Last year tried it, ate it, but not really interesting for me. Doesnt taste bad or good, but eggs , high in protein 

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Let them live. Not doing any harm.

If they are ants the first time they drop or crawl on you and sting then you will understand. The jaws embed in your skin and stay even if you tear the body away. If you are allergic they can be quickly fatal. 

Just tell your kids not to climb trees for a few months and pretend it's not there. Boy isn't it so nice the talk about things other than covid 19. There's much more news around world we need to get to. One more thing about the bees don't look up!

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "brown/red tree ants" referred to in earlier posts are Weaver Ants:

"Because weaver ant workers hunt and kill insects that are potentially harmful plant pests, trees harboring weaver ants benefit from having decreased levels of herbivory.[19] They have traditionally been used in biological control in Chinese and Southeast Asian citrus orchards from at least 400 AD.[20][21] Many studies have shown the efficacy of using weaver ants as natural biocontrol agents against agricultural pests.[22] The use of weaver ants as biocontrol agents has especially been effective for fruit agriculture, particularly in Australia and southeast Asia"

About The Weaver Ant | EntoBlog