Thailand reports daily record 967 new coronavirus infections

Jonathan Fairfield

When can we all get vaccine. 70 million people is a big number but ... how many have been vaccinated? How many want vaccinated? When can i get vaccinated? 

It seems obvious that the virus is not going away without a lot of help from the vaccine. Right? 

Astra Zeneca is not being administered anymore in the French departement of Moselle and some overseas territories because it's ineffective against new strains, particularly the South African strain.

here is a link in English language

https://thecanadian.news/2021/04/09/covid-19-in-france-astrazeneca-vaccine-banned-in-moselle-guyana-mayotte-and-reunion/

there are plenty of reputable news sources reporting this story in French language

• Haha 2

fyi, for everyone talking about the notion of lockdowns and whether they should have been done, or will be done...

Just be aware, several dozen provinces have announced that they'll be enforcing quarantines and other restrictions on domestic travelers arriving from Bangkok and several adjoining provinces because of the COVID clusters identified there.

This is what they've announced... How seriously the various rules will actually end up being enforced remains to be seen.

277049699_DomesticTravelRestrictions.jpg.625d11eafb29ea163c2b831513ea237a.jpg

52079258_DomesticTravel.jpg.98fde7259be0214bdbb3d6888ec7d652.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thus far, Thailand has only approved 3 vaccines for domestic use -- Sinovac, AstraZeneca and J&J (the latter for which there has been no known imports into Thailand thus far).

Ever thought that maybe that's because they are the cheapest ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

1000 and no talk of lock downs.   I think the most important time for Thailand is from October until February, high season for the falang and everyone else.

lock it down.  one month.  better safe than sorry.  i don't mean close all the businesses, just ban inter-provincial travel and keep the hot spots from spreading.  

What remote bit of Thailand are you in, then?

The whole of the Eastern and Gulf Coast, including Hua Hin, Samui and the islands, Chonburi and Pattaya, get their rainy season from October to February.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I don't see anything in that article that reports your figures. Just one department nervous about it. 

do your own research on google, I'm not allowed to post the links here

according to French news, the South African strain makes up over 50% of covid infection in Moselle, Guyane, La Réunion and Mayotte, and the reported effectivity of Astra Zeneca is 22% vs. the South African variant.

with these infection rates in Moselle, it's only a question of time until it spreads through the whole European continent, and 2 AZ jabs are only 22% effective. do your math.

Edited by tgw
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How can you now track and trace when the population has just spread out all over Thailand for Songkran.  I don't see this slowing or the holiday ending well in regards to covid. Just saw on the news a child being taken away by ambulance after testing positive 

There is no effective track and trace... everywhere I go it seems to be voluntary... walk in the door and go straight past the temp test, sing-in book or don't bother to swipe the code.

Most outlets have got lazy, and markets where I go don't even have any of the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mines family has tested positive with Covid via self-testing lateral flow kits after all experiencing symptoms. He got them through is employer in Singapore.

Obviously all are self-isolating but WON'T be informing the authorities as they'd have to do a ridiculous 14 days in hospital.

Given MOST cases are asymptomatic I can't see why they need to reside in hospital but on reflection I guess most Thais would ignore the rules and spread it.

Sincerely 

Morris 

Edited by KhunMorris
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, for everyone talking about the notion of lockdowns and whether they should have been done, or will be done...

Just be aware, several dozen provinces have announced that they'll be enforcing quarantines and other restrictions on domestic travelers arriving from Bangkok and several adjoining provinces because of the COVID clusters identified there.

This is what they've announced... How seriously the various rules will actually end up being enforced remains to be seen.

277049699_DomesticTravelRestrictions.jpg.625d11eafb29ea163c2b831513ea237a.jpg

52079258_DomesticTravel.jpg.98fde7259be0214bdbb3d6888ec7d652.jpg

Its not enforced. At least a couple of hundred people around Thailand have arrived in our village in Udon yesterday and today. Plenty, if not most, has come from Bangkok, Samut Prakan and Chonburi including in my family. None are quarantining. Its packed in the village now and the parties have already begun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

When can we all get vaccine. 70 million people is a big number but ... how many have been vaccinated? How many want vaccinated? When can i get vaccinated? 

It seems obvious that the virus is not going away without a lot of help from the vaccine. Right? 

Less than 1 percent of Thailand's population thus far, and those who've gotten the vaccine (mostly Sinovac from China) have been from various groups targeted by the government as opposed to the general public. Groups such as medical workers and first responders, the elderly, those with chronic diseases, lately people working in entertainment venues due to the high risk, etc etc.

I'm not aware of anything currently available for non-Thais here. Even the broad government-funded vaccination program for Thais isn't likely to really get started until June or thereafter. But perhaps others here have info on whether anything is available for non-Thais right now.

Chart below shows total doses administered thus far, with subtotals for numbers of first doses and second doses given. Chart is from the Thai Ministry of Public Health.

4-11-21g.jpg.3f93fccd3b411a544713a88dab72f2e3.jpg

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Less than 1 percent of Thailand's population thus far, and those who've gotten the vaccine (mostly Sinovac from China) have been from various groups targeted by the government as opposed to the general public. Groups such as medical workers and first responders, the elderly, those with chronic diseases, lately people working in entertainment venues due to the high risk, etc etc.

I'm not aware of anything currently available for non-Thais here. Even the broad government-funded vaccination program for Thais isn't likely to really get started until June or thereafter. But perhaps others here have info on whether anything is available for non-Thais right now.

Chart below shows total doses administered thus far, with subtotals for numbers of first doses and second doses given. Chart is from the Thai Ministry of Public Health.

4-11-21g.jpg.3f93fccd3b411a544713a88dab72f2e3.jpg

You missed out "High ranking government officials" ????

17 minutes ago, tgw said:

do your own research on google, I'm not allowed to post the links here

according to French news, the South African strain makes up over 50% of covid infection in Moselle, Guyane, La Réunion and Mayotte, and the reported effectivity of Astra Zeneca is 22% vs. the South African variant.

with these infection rates in Moselle, it's only a question of time until it spreads through the whole European continent, and 2 AZ jabs are only 22% effective. do your math.

Ok, did 20 minutes research. Forbes article confirms what you say, but says the az is better than nothing and recommends taking it. After all, you don't have much choice in which variant you might catch. Israeli sources say Pfizer is useless against it, American sources say it is effective. My way? Take whatever you can get, which right now in Thailand is nothing.

3 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

Thai or foreigner - get the shots if you can afford it!!!! No use talking about - DO IT!!!

where ? I want to get my lady vaccinated but so far they said private  purchase is approved but not heard of anywhere doing it ?

condo brit just said it all.

Songkran travel will just put the icing on the cake.

Tourists 21 months away. US $ will go to 40 Bht

Thailand is going to have to make some very important, hard,  correct decisions to issues to get out of this one now as they have been far too slow to act (which many of us predicted)

Take extra care until one month after Songkran folks, it really is a pandemic now,

which I really had a little hope 2 months ago we may have been able to avoid, but too

many from Government down let their guard down

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

What I would like to know is, what, after a year of treating patients with symptoms, is the recommended procedure when admitted to hospital? Very few seem to be dying despite the rising numbers.

Are doctors on top of this now after all the hit-and-miss earlier efforts of malarial drugs, on your back or on your stomach in a ventilator and all the other drugs used in the early days. What actually works? Surely after this length of time, variant-permitting, hospitals are better prepared, and not just in Thailand.

Never see any reports on current treatment.

There is no treatment for coronavirus apart from flu medication....ie paracetamol unless you're struggling to breathe then its oxygen 

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Don't you think the recommended procedure depends on the patient?

Its not like a broken bone where the treatment will be the same for 99% of the population. It will probably depend on age, weight, underlying health issues (!!!), and severity of the symptoms. 

And I doubt they don't want to reveal it to the media, I suppose the media just doesn't ask the question because why would their readers be interested in the recommended procedures? When you check in at the hospital they will treat you, there is no need to know beforehand which medicines are recommended or arrive with your own checklist to double-check them. 

Oh yes there bloody is!!!!! It's your body - you have a right to be kept informed what is being done to it.

In the UK (NHS) doctors will sit and explain to you exactly what the planned procedure is / will be.

Screenshot_11.jpg.bee06f8fd9192479bda06bf83ff47b85.jpg

The Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand (ACT) Secretary-General has called on the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), the ombudsman and the ethical standards committee to investigate politicians and government officials who recently visited an entertainment outlet in Bangkok’s Thonglor area, in violation of current disease control measures.

Mana Nimitmongkol said in his Facebook post on Saturday that their visit to a well-known Thonglor pub has been blamed for contributing to the spread of COVID-19 throughout the country.

He said that such behavior by officials and politicians was not the first of its kind, citing the boxing cluster related to an army-run stadium in the Ramintra area, which was blamed for the first outbreak, with the second wave originating in Samut Sakhon among illegal migrant workers from Myanmar and illegal gambling dens in Rayong and Chon Buri provinces.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/probe-sought-into-politicians-and-officials-over-thonglor-covid-19-cluster-and-boxing-matches-in-songkhla/

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

1000 and no talk of lock downs.   I think the most important time for Thailand is from October until February, high season for the falang and everyone else.

lock it down.  one month.  better safe than sorry.  i don't mean close all the businesses, just ban inter-provincial travel and keep the hot spots from spreading.  

Too late, with Songkhran will just make it worse. Fasten your seat belts and put your masks on ! This might be a hard landing ! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Screenshot_11.jpg.bee06f8fd9192479bda06bf83ff47b85.jpg

The Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand (ACT) Secretary-General has called on the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), the ombudsman and the ethical standards committee to investigate politicians and government officials who recently visited an entertainment outlet in Bangkok’s Thonglor area, in violation of current disease control measures.

Mana Nimitmongkol said in his Facebook post on Saturday that their visit to a well-known Thonglor pub has been blamed for contributing to the spread of COVID-19 throughout the country.

He said that such behavior by officials and politicians was not the first of its kind, citing the boxing cluster related to an army-run stadium in the Ramintra area, which was blamed for the first outbreak, with the second wave originating in Samut Sakhon among illegal migrant workers from Myanmar and illegal gambling dens in Rayong and Chon Buri provinces.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/probe-sought-into-politicians-and-officials-over-thonglor-covid-19-cluster-and-boxing-matches-in-songkhla/

Anybody except anything but denials and utter lies from this body of corrupt officials must be as bent as the government who appointed them. Nothing will be disclosed, no slime ball minister(s) will be apportioned blame and I have no doubt that they will pin the blame of spreading this on an illegal Cambodian who snuck in the back of this(these) clubs. Getting in via a back passage is a proclivity of many a government official by all accounts.

• Like 1