Ping to UK

JaiMaai

I have a 40 Mbps (single thread) speed test to the UK with a ping of 200 ms. A stream provider is trying to tell me the ping is too high. I think the ping time is OK and actually quite good.

What are other people getting?

Thanks,

JM

Edited by JaiMaai

Took me a while to find a name that is really located in the UK (plausible result).

(some German un the log should be manageable)

194 ms.

Ping wird ausgeführt für datacentreplus.co.uk [81.130.132.184] mit 32 Bytes Daten:
Antwort von 81.130.132.184: Bytes=32 Zeit=194ms TTL=46
Antwort von 81.130.132.184: Bytes=32 Zeit=195ms TTL=46

Now the question is: is the streaming provider aware that you are in Thailand?

Or do they expect low ping times like domestic UK?

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Took me a while to find a name that is really located in the UK (plausible result).

(some German un the log should be manageable)

194 ms.

Now the question is: is the streaming provider aware that you are in Thailand?

Or do they expect low ping times like domestic UK?

It's an (official) sports streaming service for international subscribers only - so they should be aware that I'm not in the UK at the very least.

38 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

It's an (official) sports streaming service for international subscribers only - so they should be aware that I'm not in the UK at the very least.

So they should tell you why the ping is the problem for streaming.

Not much to win better then 180 ms.

A distance is a distance.

IMO

The problem is not your ping but your 40 Mbps speed. That is your top speed you get connected to the UK. Normally it should be good enough but id think that that is more of a problem then your ping.

What kind of internet connection do you have ? i mean your base package ?

Also this is a speedtest to an UK server and not the server your connecting to. So maybe that is lower ? Could be on their side too. 

• Like 1

Just used speedtest.net (which I prefer).

Tested to "Zen Internet/London".

Ping 274 ms

Down 360 Mbit/s

Up 76 Mbit/s

testmy.net: 250 ms, 58/20 (high variance)

Edited by KhunBENQ

It depends entirely on the route the PING is taking and just how busy the server is. 200mS is not fast but it does seem that the server is quite heavily loaded

Edited by upu2

20 hours ago, upu2 said:

It depends entirely on the route the PING is taking and just how busy the server is. 200mS is not fast but it does seem that the server is quite heavily loaded

165 - 200 ms is normal to UK. 200 ms doesn't mean server is loaded.

200 ms used to be normal, but with Seamewe5 in use, latency has dropped on 3BB. TOT switched to SMW5 months or a year ago.

15 hours ago, muratremix said:

165 - 200 ms is normal to UK. 200 ms doesn't mean server is loaded.

200 ms used to be normal, but with Seamewe5 in use, latency has dropped on 3BB. TOT switched to SMW5 months or a year ago.

It isn't heavily loaded at that timing but really you need to know exactly the route the signal is going to get an accurate value

The ping was to a random server on a speed test site.  It was just a test of general connectivity and speeds the UK.

Obviously it means nothing in terms of connecting to the server that hosts the stream, so I may try and figure out a way of doing that.

VOD from the site streams perfectly but that's a different animal with prebuffering and all that.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that the ping is not "bad"; so, I think the questions has been answered.

9 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

The ping was to a random server on a speed test site.  It was just a test of general connectivity and speeds the UK.

Obviously it means nothing in terms of connecting to the server that hosts the stream, so I may try and figure out a way of doing that.

VOD from the site streams perfectly but that's a different animal with prebuffering and all that.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that the ping is not "bad"; so, I think the questions has been answered.

The ping is awful if you were 300m away from the server. Given that you are thousands of kilometers away from it, that's pretty much as good as it gets. 

It all depends on the distance, and the route it takes. Thailand doesn't have direct internet cable connection to the UK, so it needs to travel between many places before reaching the UK.

• Like 1