Thunderbolt & lightening, very, very frightening me.

champers

30 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

As black as your hat over here on the Darkside, plenty of thunder but no rain........ yet ????

Well, it;s absolutely lashing down now. Khao Noi will be the usual mass of water in free flow down to the rail tracks.

Luckily I had the family out for the weekly shop at Lotus, South Patts, around mid-day so missed out on getting the groceries soaked in the back of the pick-up.

I think the "rainy" season has arrived early (if I recall, the powers that be said a while ago that it was supposed to start in early May). 

Only took a few minutes to fill my 45 gal "rain can" with the run-off from the roof. Seems to be petering out now though.

12 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Well, it;s absolutely lashing down now. Khao Noi will be the usual mass of water in free flow down to the rail tracks.

Luckily I had the family out for the weekly shop at Lotus, South Patts, around mid-day so missed out on getting the groceries soaked in the back of the pick-up.

It has literally just started here by the lake, SSCC side, as you say lashing down, waiting for the Mrs to get back from Big C in Klang, hope there's no flooding down that way. 

Edited by Golden Triangle
Spelling

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I live - when I'm in thailand and not stuck outside - in the darkside. The thunder was so loud few years ago I literally thought a jumbo had crashed down the road and had to get up to see it was true or not.

Sometimes they might be 'thunder bolts'...when they hit a street transformer it's a blast

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Sometimes they might be 'thunder bolts'...when they hit a street transformer it's a blast

When they hit a tree in my garden it scared the beejeebers out of me. I have had one hit in my garden and one just behind over the years I have lived here. Both damaged a lot of electronics, and the garden one took out the gate motor too. These days I run around unplugging things and sit with doors and windows closed up, not  a little in fear!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2

A couple days before the storm, the Electrical Authority went up soi Khao Noi, replacing the top braces and insulators on all the power poles (and I think they may have strung an additional power cable as well).

I was kind of surprised though when I came home and saw all the new braces - were made of metal ! Looks like steel, but may be aluminum. Either way, they both conduct electricity and probably make good lightning magnets.

So I wasn't really surprised when the storm hit not long after we lost power. Not for long. Then it went out again for a short bit. No idea if there was a lightning strike but the outages weren't that long so I don't think it was a transformer blowing or a line coming down.
Maybe just a surge somewhere flipped a breaker ? (And no, it wasn't just out in my house though I did check my breakers just to be sure. Also discovered that one of my UPS's doesn't work anymore. Annoying.)

So glad I don't live on Soi Batman though ! A lot of people there have built up their floors/ramps so they are almost a meter above street level and the water was almost that high !
They are doing work on a drainage tunnel behind the "Batman" building. It's the width of the soi (2 lanes), divided in the middle, you could drive a car down either side and someone 2 meters (6') tall could walk through there without banging their head on the top. I think it is supposed to be where the water from the ditch in the middle of the Suk is supposed to go. (Right beside the Esso station where they've had the lane blocked off and pumps sitting there for months now). 
Not sure where the water goes from there though. 

If they'd put drainage like that down Khao Noi and Khao Talo, we wouldn't have any flooding problems at all ! Though I suspect the low area along the railway bypass would still turn into a lake every time it rained.