Ants are getting smart

scubascuba3

I have observed that different types of ants at different times of the year want different things.  Sometimes they want sugar/sweet, or proteins, or moisture, or maybe they are on the move to get away from something like water or something not favorable to their nest.  Mine always go back to the bate sooner or later.

• Like 1

Luckily we don't get them in the house but in the yard they are in epidemic proportions. The little tiny ones. They are in the lawn in the millions. If I leave any cat food out for local feral mom and her kitten...if they don't eat it within 10 minutes, it's swarmed. I hate them ! If I swat a fly, within minutes the ants swarm over the carcass in the grass. The only positive is they really don't bite like the little bastards I had in Penang.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

Had three ant invasions of the house this past two months.  Spray took care of them. They usually happen about 10pm not sure why.  Been getting a lot of critters in the house which is usual during the start of rains. Had two scorpions on my hanging bath towel, good thing I am in the habit of shaking clothing and such before using. Maybe it is going to be an early rainy season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Bayer Quantum works miracles on those ants that will eat it. Every ant in my place, with the exception of one group, loves this stuff, then disappears.

BayerQuantum.jpg.8b5f39f4abe19caec79239f89f68c221.jpg

That is the best stuff ever, been using it for a few years now, excellent results,  the other good stuff is the Chaindrite powder, I'll go find a picture.

3-chaindrite-powder-500g.png

Edited by Golden Triangle
Added pic
  • Thanks 1

Can't stand ants around the house, or roaches. We get a pest spray company to do over the whole house and garden (big house and more than one rai) twice a year. They drill under the floors all around and into the roof spaces to catch possible termites (we have alot of wood) which is extremely important. Costs 16,000 baht a year and worth every baht IMO. Never see ants any more, or other nasty bugs. the chemicals they use these days do not affect our pets, birds, or even lizards (which I quite like to watch).

If it bugs you...consult your local pest company. Peace of mind. Smaller houses won't cost as much of course.

• Like 2

I dont mind a few Ants, after all they clean up after us...But this morning walking my dog in the village where we live,  the 3 roads i walked were  infested with Cockroaches running zig zag all over the place, after yesterdays rain,   hundreds of them..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, actonion said:

I dont mind a few Ants, after all they clean up after us...But this morning walking my dog in the village where we live,  the 3 roads i walked were  infested with Cockroaches running zig zag all over the place, after yesterdays rain,   hundreds of them..

Maybe Thai "septic tanks" flooding. I have seen them popping out in mass, Looks like a scene from a horror movie.

hello,

I tried everything, finally I sprayed with the lavender scent and they died in bloom.
If you have a wall outside and can access it, spray along that wall.
Often, all it takes is a tiny slit for them to fit.
Otherwise, spray under the sink.
Fire ants are the worst against bites, even dead ones.

Things could be much worst.  All indications in the Eastern US are for a bountiful plague of 17 year cicades as the cycle is due in May/June.  

They resemble the giant cockroaches one sees in Thailand.  I remember the last infestation, so numerous on sidewalks that you had to wear boots and they crunched underfoot.

18 hours ago, actonion said:

Yeah...those big American Cockroaches lives in every sewer drain in Thailand. After a rain or during rainy season they come out seeking dry land to prevent drowning. Lukily they don't usually nest inside homes. We have storm drains on the side of the driveway and I always seem them in there when I lift the covers to drop some mosquito control in there. Nasty...yechhh

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Things could be much worst.  All indications in the Eastern US are for a bountiful plague of 17 year cicades as the cycle is due in May/June.  

They resemble the giant cockroaches one sees in Thailand.  I remember the last infestation, so numerous on sidewalks that you had to wear boots and they crunched underfoot.

My Mom's cat used to love them...apparently they're a feline delicacy

Had a funny think the other day. Was using the computer and Mr Ant walked across the screen. I chased it around with the mouse pointer for 30 seconds or so.

Neem leaves deter ants. Best not to hurt them.

• Like 1