Ants are getting smart

scubascuba3

39 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

there is a "CHALK LIKE" BAR......one rubs it on the path of the ants, they take small patrticles of the chalk back to nest......and eat and hopefully they snuff it !!!

they laugh at that stuff and walk round it. The Bayer liquid is 220 baht falang price, I've opted for spraying where they appear to come from and walk

On 4/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, timendres said:

Bayer Quantum works miracles on those ants that will eat it. Every ant in my place, with the exception of one group, loves this stuff, then disappears.

BayerQuantum.jpg.8b5f39f4abe19caec79239f89f68c221.jpg

Where to buy that?

Never seen it. 

56 minutes ago, elliss said:

Correct . 

Humans , we are all part of the animal chain . 

To , destroy life , of any form, is unacceptable ..

We are indeed part of the animal chain ... but animals kill other animals , plenty of proof for that ( if you do not agree , check Nat Geo ) . I find it unacceptable to kill or hurt unneeded any living thing (plant and animal). If ants come in home , i find it very valid to kill them .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sezze said:

We are indeed part of the animal chain ... but animals kill other animals , plenty of proof for that ( if you do not agree , check Nat Geo ) . I find it unacceptable to kill or hurt unneeded any living thing (plant and animal). If ants come in home , i find it very valid to kill them .

Yeah I agree, I don't like it but ants, cockroaches and mosquitoes are on the hit list

10 hours ago, sezze said:

Generally I agree with you. But ants come into your home 'by invitation' so to speak. Leave food accessible and they will come and they are masters at finding it too. (that's actually a misnomer. All foraging ants are female)

As I said the other day They're very good at showing you where your hygiene weak spots are. Just follow the trail. Don't blame the ants. ????

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, elliss said:

Correct . 

Humans , we are all part of the animal chain . 

To , destroy life , of any form, is unacceptable ..

That includes germs naturally.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 5:41 PM, talahtnut said:

Ants in UK turn to Islam.

Too bad the same thing can't happen to radical (terriorist) Muslims.   ????

Seriously,  while it looks like a crazy thing the fact is when ants go into action it's organized as if collectively the ants are operating with one single  big brain.

Fascinating creatures indeed.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

what works?

some water and food helps.
mine won't drink tap water, they wait till the jug has boiled and cooled down then drink out of it....if that aint smart i dont know what is.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, Speedo1968 said:

I use talcum powder from the 20 baht shop, and "No" perfume does not seem to be important.
The powder can be sprinkled or puffed anywhere.

..i wonder if they put it under their little armies and leggies.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, RichardColeman said:

My wife tends to just draw with lots of chalk on the floor and walls and draw roads to the neighbours house

Yes, it always work to talk to the ants, especially a big boss, and make a deal if the colony moves out. My ex girlfriend – and she was from my home country – learned mind control and talked to the ants, and made deals with a sugar deposit if they moved out from the house, which showed to be two different ant-tribes, one in kitchen and another in living room. Amazingly, it worked extremely well – even I'm skeptic, I'm also open minded, but I can still get surprised – so I seriously think that your wife is on the right track...????????

Perhaps a method to consider for OP...????

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, tonray said:

Luckily we don't get them in the house but in the yard they are in epidemic proportions. The little tiny ones. They are in the lawn in the millions. If I leave any cat food out for local feral mom and her kitten...if they don't eat it within 10 minutes, it's swarmed. I hate them ! If I swat a fly, within minutes the ants swarm over the carcass in the grass. The only positive is they really don't bite like the little bastards I had in Penang.

The bite is not the problem. Its the toxic venom they pee when they've got a grip with the bite.

3 hours ago, timendres said:

I bought mine at Tops in Bangkok. Lazada also has it:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bayer-quantum-i315634629-s583816332.html

I got some at Big C it was also available at Mr DIY, the other really good stuff is the Chaindrite spray, that stuff kills cockroaches in less than a minute, make sure you have a towel over your nose and mouth, and get the new version in the purple can, it smells better than original orange tin. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, tonray said:

Luckily we don't get them in the house but in the yard they are in epidemic proportions. The little tiny ones. They are in the lawn in the millions. If I leave any cat food out for local feral mom and her kitten...if they don't eat it within 10 minutes, it's swarmed. I hate them ! If I swat a fly, within minutes the ants swarm over the carcass in the grass. The only positive is they really don't bite like the little bastards I had in Penang.

Put the food/water bowl in a slightly larger pan of water. Ants don't swim well. 

What works for me is cypermethrin powder. Check the label but it does degrade quickly. Search it and decide. It's cheap and readily available here. It's also effective mixed with water if used immediately. So easy to spray. Really does a number on the ants too. 

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Germs , are they a member of the animal kingdom .?

I have never seen one ,  not that I know off . 555

• Like 1

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

But we do kills germs naturally don't we. Our immune systems are almost constantly on seek and destroy missions to route out and destroy pathogens that are threatening us.

It's all part of the big cycle of life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I got some at Big C it was also available at Mr DIY, the other really good stuff is the Chaindrite spray, that stuff kills cockroaches in less than a minute, make sure you have a towel over your nose and mouth, and get the new version in the purple can, it smells better than original orange tin. ????

@elliss why the sad face on my post, just curious.