Police Checkpoints

Pattaya Spotter

Anyone know the reason for the police check points that have been thrown up around the island the past couple days? They are on the main roads at the entrance to each main town...not  stopped yet and the police seem mainly interested in playing with their phones. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Any different from the xxx checkpoints nationwide?

Songkran?

The yearly ritual.

Roadside tent, sitting and wait for the time to go by.

They all sprang up rather suddenly, along with the virus case spike, so I was wondering if there was any connection, e.g., if there were any inter-island travel restrictions I wasn't aware of. But you are probably right, probably a part of a sober driving zero road deaths over Songkran campaign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe there was something about return to check points nation wide after them being suspended for many months.  

Check points for what? Are there official inter-provincial travel restrictions in place...if so, why are there different checkpoints all around Phuket? My understanding is Phuket is still open to domestic tourists without any quarantine. If it wasn't, checkpoints at the Sarasin Bridge crossing and at the airport would be the place for them. I think they must be part of the islands Songkran driving sobriety campaign.

27 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Check points for what? Are there official inter-provincial travel restrictions in place...if so, why are there different checkpoints all around Phuket? My understanding is Phuket is still open to domestic tourists without any quarantine. If it wasn't, checkpoints at the Sarasin Bridge crossing and at the airport would be the place for them. I think they must be part of the islands Songkran driving sobriety campaign.

Police road checkpoints to return nationwide
THAILAND: Police checkpoints will be back on roads nationwide from tomorrow (Apr 1), with an emphasis on transparency and public scrutiny, Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas, deputy national police chief, said.

policeSafetycrime

https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-road-checkpoints-to-return-nationwide-79519.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Two typical indicators for Songkran checkpoint.

Large roadside tent.

Various uniforms, not only police but emergency medical (phone 1669), civil service helpers (don't know what they are called). Sometimes ambulance car stationed.

Yes, there were definitely personnel from different agencies (different uniforms) and some looked like the rescue jockeys. They also had cones out and narrowed down the roads to one lane of traffic.

Yesterday, on a half hour trip, I passed 10 village checkpoints, all fully manned, all fully asleep. Cones placed haphazardly, actually causing obstruction to traffic. Our village has cones now to filter traffic down to a single lane, causing delays. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago in the USA, every major holiday saw civic organizations and local gub'ments setting up comfort stations along the busy roads.  The goal was to give people on opportunity to stop, stretch their legs, take a rest, pee, and get some free coffee.  Since they were on major highways, there was usually a police presence to insure security (and probably look for drunk drivers).

I don't have a clue what's happening in Phuket, but something like that would be a welcome activity during Songkran.  I wouldn't expect them to be too energetic, as opposed to playing on their phones.  In my years past, they'd just sit behind a table and chat with each other between visitors.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I bought a bottle of Amaretto at Friendship around noon, then started off to see my friends. I got stopped on 3rd road where Exzite used to be. When I lifted my motorbike seat to get my papers, the BiB started to salivate, seeing the bottle. I showed him how the seal was still intact, handed him the receipt for it, and it took the wind out of his sail.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Well it was a very hot day today and all I saw were various uniformed personnel sitting under very large tents looking at their phones (in Patong, Karon, and Rawai). 

Today they where there facing makro and stopping people, couple of cars and bikes, when I was coming back around 12-15 pm they had gone

• Like 1