Police Checkpoints

Pattaya Spotter

Yes, as usual this is for Songkran, although this year they hardly stop anyone, probably scared of catching Covid....lol....????

Although it coincided exactly with virus outbreak and that chief of police announcing checkpoints are back, so it was confusing a bit. 

A week or two before these elaborate checkpoints we were stopped more by 3 or 4 cops groups in various temporary locations...., mostly ask for docs and saying put mask on...!

• Thanks 2

Monday we passed a checkpoint and it was crowded with people ...... I suppose it was for a picture or so, because when we came back the roadside tents were empty and nobody was seen anywhere.. Waste of money and missed opportunities to make roads safer.. Indeed if you pass a roadside tent the only thing you see is playing mobiles and sleeping

• Haha 2

On 4/11/2021 at 6:48 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Check points for what? Are there official inter-provincial travel restrictions in place...if so, why are there different checkpoints all around Phuket? My understanding is Phuket is still open to domestic tourists without any quarantine. If it wasn't, checkpoints at the Sarasin Bridge crossing and at the airport would be the place for them. I think they must be part of the islands Songkran driving sobriety campaign.

Standard.
Alcohol, Drugs, Driving License, Documents, Helmet.

Up province:
while driving the zig-zag roadblock
three friendly facial checks in a row,
a glance who / what else is in the car,
suspect behaviour solicits check of car for contraband
and sufficient Officers on hand to do such car searches.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Well it was a very hot day today and all I saw were various uniformed personnel sitting under very large tents looking at their phones (in Patong, Karon, and Rawai). 

Same same , in boring Essan ..

On 4/13/2021 at 1:51 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

To sit around playing with their phones

4 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Making money

Well what is it 'phones or money'?

I personally think the days of taking money at police checks are becoming history with the use of dashcams and smartphones by the general public. Plus the fact that the police, they themselves, wear body/helmet cams.

You may get some rogue cop try it on when he can but in the past decade I ain't been asked for tea money. And if I haven't done anything wrong, then they won't get. No official ticket., no pay.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LennyW said:

Government due to make an announcement today, 16th, potentially to include inter provincial travel restrictions, we wait and see - the checkpoints may suddenly become very active!

Yes...Phuket looks to be put in the Red Zone. No real changes from now except massage shops closed and no gatherings over 50 people. And early (9 p.m. resto closures and no alcohol sales.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes...Phuket looks to be put in the Red Zone. No real changes from now except massage shops closed and no gatherings over 50 people. And early (9 p.m. resto closures and no alcohol sales.

Looks like Phuket might go into some kind of lockdown I just hope they give us warning when they will do it, might need to stock up at makro with a few beers 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

Just now, ChipButty said:

Looks like Phuket might go into some kind of lockdown I just hope they give us warning when they will do it, might need to stock up at makro 

Desperately trying to save their July 1 and October 1 re-opening plans.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Well it was a very hot day today and all I saw were various uniformed personnel sitting under very large tents looking at their phones (in Patong, Karon, and Rawai). 

Same up here in Boring Thani ..

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

You were the only person in your car right ????????????

Don't you reckon they just asked him to wear his mask while they checked him? Which would be perfectly understandable, wouldn't?

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Don't you reckon they just asked him to wear his mask while they checked him? Which would be perfectly understandable, wouldn't?

Must have passed by through them a dozen times during Songkran week...none were ever in "active" mode...just sitting around playing with their ????

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, seajae said:

wife drove from Surat Thani to Saraburi friday and drove back sunday, didnt see one police stop on the roads at all

Good. No need to mess with hired goons. Besides just literally throw money at them if they want it...????