Proof needed that 400000 baht in Thai bank account came from abroad?

Hello,

If I want to get a one year extension for my 3 months non immigration O visa (based on marriage), do I need to proof the 400000 baht in my Thai bank account came from abroad? Additionally, if I would use Wise (Transferwise) for this will it be accepted as a proof of a foreign money transfer?

You need a letter from your bank confirming all the details, balance, foreign transfer etc......on the day you apply.....I would also draw some money out on the day you apply and get your bank book updated showing that transaction.......that is my understanding and what I do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

You do not need to prove where the money came from. They just want to see a balance of 400k in the bank. You will need to check for how long the money needs to be seasoned with your local immigration office. Different offices sometimes use different rules.

In order to prove how much you have in your Thai bank you will need to provide:

An updated bank book or passbook.

A letter from your bank stating that all money transferred to your bank from overseas was cleared at least two months prior to making your visa application.

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thai-marriage-visa/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account

@Surelynotreferred to a "bank book or passbook". This obviously rules out a chequing account/current account for the 400k requirement. So what type of bank account does it have to be? Fixed-deposit account? Savings account?

I'm in the same situation as the OP, with the same type of visa. After 2 weeks of ASQ plus 1 week of Songkran with the banking system coming to a standstill, I guess I'll have precisely 5 days to open a bank account to get the two months seasoning period right.

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

You need a letter from your bank confirming all the details, balance, foreign transfer etc......on the day you apply.....I would also draw some money out on the day you apply and get your bank book updated showing that transaction.......that is my understanding and what I do.

In 15 years I have never had to get my bank to confirm where the money came from I get a letter confirming I have ex amount in my bank and it’s been there for at least the two month requirement the bank also give me the two month bank statement to show what’s in my account 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Proof the funds in the bank came from abroad is not required for any extension of stay application.

The only thing it is required for is proof the 800k baht came from abroad for a non-o visa application based upon qualifying for a extension based upon retirement.

I think I might have made a mistake-- I have the usual Non-O extension (since it came into existence) which they now stamp in red in your passport "Retirement" . Late last year I thought I would just move 1 Million into another account and not touch it.  The thought was that it makes it easy just photo copy the same page every year + letter.  I had seen numerous people on here suggesting this, but Just realized reading this thread that-:

1/ It wont show as an overseas dep.

2/ You can not keep doing this with just the same deposit year after year.  

So that idea is defunct Unbonjoe..??

35 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I think I might have made a mistake-- I have the usual Non-O extension (since it came into existence) which they now stamp in red in your passport "Retirement" . Late last year I thought I would just move 1 Million into another account and not touch it.  The thought was that it makes it easy just photo copy the same page every year + letter.  I had seen numerous people on here suggesting this, but Just realized reading this thread that-:

1/ It wont show as an overseas dep.

2/ You can not keep doing this with just the same deposit year after year.  

You do not have to prove the income came from abroad for a one year extension of stay application (it is not a visa).

You misread the the 2nd line of my post. That is to apply for a real non-o visa that allows a 90 day permit to stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nakdontree said:

@Surelynotreferred to a "bank book or passbook". This obviously rules out a chequing account/current account for the 400k requirement. So what type of bank account does it have to be? Fixed-deposit account? Savings account?

I'm in the same situation as the OP, with the same type of visa. After 2 weeks of ASQ plus 1 week of Songkran with the banking system coming to a standstill, I guess I'll have precisely 5 days to open a bank account to get the two months seasoning period right.

If you are panicking throw some money at it......I did, and got Siam Legal to do all the legwork......about 3,500 baht, but worth it if you are worried about getting it sorted.

• Like 2

Just open a regular savings account and put more than 400,000 in it.  Do not allow it to go below 400,000 at any time.  Some people use two accounts: one for their immigration funding only and one that they use for living expenses, etc., that comes with a debit card.  You really could do this yourself without needing to pay anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You misread the the 2nd line of my post. That is to apply for a real non-o visa that allows a 90 day permit to stay.

Me make a mistake......surly not......????............many thanks.............

A question has been nagging me. In December of last year, I asked my SCB branch to add my two “middle” names (I am French and many of us have one or two supplementary first names at birth) to my fixed account bank book. The reason for doing that was that at my last visit at CW last year, the IO seemed puzzled that there was this discrepancy between my full name as it appears in my passport and in my bank book (which had never happened before by the way). I did get my extension but decided that I should dispel any ambiguity.  So the bank gave me a new bank book with the additional first names and the last amount appearing in that account. I updated it, in March, at the end of the interest period as I have been doing for the last 5 years. My question is: when I apply for my next extension in May, should I present the old and the new bank books together or just the new one? It may be a trivial question but, knowing how punctilious some IO are, it does bother me. I might add that the amount in question is several times the 800k required. Thanks for your patience. 

3 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

My question is: when I apply for my next extension in May, should I present the old and the new bank books together or just the new one? It may be a trivial question but, knowing how punctilious some IO are, it does bother me. I might add that the amount in question is several times the 800k required. Thanks for your patience. 

If your bank book does not show a year of having your balance in it would be best to at least have the old book with you and maybe copies in case it is needed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your bank book does not show a year of having your balance in it would be best to at least have the old book with you and maybe copies in case it is needed.

Thank you, Ubonjoe. Do you think it would be useful to ask the SCB to mention the change in name and to indicate when the account was opened, in the usual letter?

20 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

Thank you, Ubonjoe. Do you think it would be useful to ask the SCB to mention the change in name and to indicate when the account was opened, in the usual letter?

It might be helpful but not sure the can change the letter from the standard info on it.