Reporting dangerous road use Etc.

Grumpy Old Man

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Well I would probably have passed the blue truck on the left before I got stuck there? He was obviously going from left to right to make a U-turn ight from the beginning of the video.

But that is just my take.

What he should have, or have not, done is irrelevant, it is how we react which is important.

Thank you for your comment; if you watch the video, it's not a U-Turn for the direction we're traveling, there is a NO U-Turn approximately 40m before ! 

Is this on 1317 heading east past San Kamphaeng?  They've made a real cockup on this road, after building a partition wall, blocking right turns.  Now people queue in the fast lane to make a u-turn to get to where they want to go.  Clusterfaak!

Need to anticipate what's happening, pass them on the left, while flashing your lights at them & blasting your horn as you pass.  Idiots.  But the people who made this road modification in the last few months are to blame.

As pointed out by the previous poster, you should have been in the left lane anyway, if you had followed the law you would not have been in this situation.

If you had paid attention to his actions it was relatively clear that he will do some u-turn action, and you could just have moved to the left lane at this point.

But when looking at your other video, where you deliberately block the motorcycles path, I guess "to teach him a lesson", then you might have not avoided the situation in the OP on purpose:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Can someone please explain to me what all the fuss is about.

These videos both look to me like perfectly normal, natural and reasonable driving situations. I come across such situations many times every day and have (mutatis mutandis) done so in many parts of the world, including but not limited to London, Sydney, Hong Kong, Boston, San Francisco, Paris, etc.

Some places are indeed ‘better’ (i.e., tamer) but very many were far worse: I have particularly unpleasant driving memories from Southern and Eastern Europe.

The pickup driver was obviously a feckless twit...  but so many drivers are & this guy is no different from the vast majority of drivers who just do what they want. 

The police won’t do anything, so why should the Op???

The Op hitting his horn (I assume, I didn’t play the video with sound) is only going to escalate the situation?

Does the Op think he’s going to singlehandedly re-educate Thailand’s drivers??? 

Op: it’s easier just to be more alert to the fvckwittery unfolding around you & just roll with it... That’s all you can do or this place will drive you crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always move into nearside lane when approaching u turn, potential u turn or right turn. Similarly move into offside lane when approaching left turn. That way you are giving yourself a chance of avoiding an accident. Dont send your video to the RTP as you may get cautioned. 

On 4/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, jackdd said:

As pointed out by the previous poster, you should have been in the left lane anyway, if you had followed the law you would not have been in this situation.

If you had paid attention to his actions it was relatively clear that he will do some u-turn action, and you could just have moved to the left lane at this point.

But when looking at your other video, where you deliberately block the motorcycles path, I guess "to teach him a lesson", then you might have not avoided the situation in the OP on purpose:

Now we can all see who is the problem clearly. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Can someone please explain to me what all the fuss is about.

These videos both look to me like perfectly normal, natural and reasonable driving situations. I come across such situations many times every day and have (mutatis mutandis) done so in many parts of the world, including but not limited to London, Sydney, Hong Kong, Boston, San Francisco, Paris, etc.

Some places are indeed ‘better’ (i.e., tamer) but very many were far worse: I have particularly unpleasant driving memories from Southern and Eastern Europe.

If you've behaved like that on the roads, where you claim, then you're another driver we need to be wary of.

OP, apparently you are very new to this. As the first dozen replies indicate, the real problem here was you and your reactions. 

Wise up before you get people killed. You're not going to change the entire country's driving habits. Just concentrate on keeping yourself alive. 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, puchooay said:

The driver taking the video should have driven in the left hand lane, as is the law. Wouldn't have had a problem then. 

And knocked the bike off the road before the following pick up hit him. I know how Thais drive but you are joking if the driver is in the wrong. He got caught out by their "its my road you can see me move away".

I could spend an entire day uploading examples like that to "the authorities" after each trip away from our house.  "The authorities" I truly believe don't give a da*m.  Example.  Last trip out I watched as a car pulled out from a police station on Highway 11 turned right into oncoming traffic and proceeded southbound in the northbound lane.  There is a u-turn about 150 meter up the road from the cop shop.  People drive the wrong way down Highway 11 at the u-turn all the time in both directions.  Cops do nothing. 

Be careful what you wish for - The following happened to me in Australia last year.

I was driving north of Sydney on the Pacific Highway in a zone of road works and variable speed limits. I was stuck behind a monster road camper of some kind, towing a large boat.

Finally, a chance to overtake on dotted lines. I made a mistake by only going marginally over the 90 km speed limit (wary of speed cameras) and it took nearly 10 seconds to get level with the camper a few hundred metres before the dotted lines finished.

But the camper was slip-streaming his mate ahead (not visible from the back) who had a a similar camper and there was no room to slip back in. I gunned it, but finished overtaking on double lines.

Abut 20 minutes later (heading into Taree, I think) there was a police road block. Much to my surprise they singled me out, and accused me of being drunk. The 2 camper vans I had previously overtaken rolled up about 5 minutes later and said I was a reckless drunk driver who was going to kill someone. The lead driver said he had it all on dashcam. Apparently he had used his mobile phone to call the Highway Police and they had set up the roadblock just for me.

But the bloke couldn't download the dashcam. I told the cops I would cop the fine (about $350) because I didn't want to hang around, go to the police station and lose an hour or more, while the camper van bloke filled out a statutory declaration etc. The head copper said I could go.

So I left with the bloke yelling for me to be put in jail. 

I never received any ticket. I reckon the camper van blokes baulked at having to go to the police station and waste their time too.

• Like 1