Reporting dangerous road use Etc.

Grumpy Old Man

I understand your concern!  But a while back the DLT one of it's top brass came public and make it clear " there is no problem with the design of our roads "  I've driven a lot of roads and what I saw is common practice in design.

Not sure why the Blue Truck driver got out but I think it was because of your impatience and bleeping your horn! With the large truck it was tough for for the drivers to visually see what was coming forward the reason he proceeded so cautiously he did the right thing same with the white vehicle with you blocking their sight!

In spite of the poor design this could all have been avoided because I see turn out like this throughout Thailand they are very common. There is a simple thing we are taught when driving in the West.  You start a turn on the right you finish on the right, same with the left.  As you see these Thai drivers are waiting holding everything up because they been taught common practice to head across the road to the far left lane then turn.

There is a thing call " merging " it isn't taught even when the road design allows it!  In this video if both had made their right turns and finished right although there isn't a merging lane all this would have been avoided. Here you use the vehicles holding up the traffic to protect yourself when making the turn!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mr_lob said:

U turns are VERY dangerous in Thailand.

PS, Don't use your horn if at all possible, the reaction you get will be like nothing you ever imagined.

PPS, Thais are never wrong

PPPS, EVER

My wife keeps telling me never to use the horn to correct Thai drivers as she has read stories of some getting out with a gun. Up until now that has never happened and I refuse to react/drive like a woman and even at my advanced age live by my motto of take s from no one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

And knocked the bike off the road before the following pick up hit him. I know how Thais drive but you are joking if the driver is in the wrong. He got caught out by their "its my road you can see me move away".

Driver should have been in the left lane (by law).

Driver is in the wrong.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Driver should have been in the left lane (by law).

Driver is in the wrong.

That is your opinion. If he had been in the left lane the truck would have run into him expecting him to change lanes to let him in as they do. The driver let the truck into the right lane.

You are wrong.

Edited by GreasyFingers
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

That is your opinion. If he had been in the left lane the truck would have run into him expecting him to change lanes to let him in as they do. The driver let the truck into the right lane.

You are wrong.

The law is not my opinion.

• Confused 1

Just now, GreasyFingers said:

That is not the law here, and no signposts saying so as we have back home.

Keep left unless overtaking is not a road law here?

Allrighty then........what other road laws do you break through ignorance ?

• Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Allrighty then........what other road laws do you break through ignorance ?

I thought you might have posted the relevant law.

Having spent most of my driving life in a traffic police state I always drive in the left/middle lane where possible as apart from the law it is the safest place to drive.

I think you need to report yourself.  You should have anticipated that.  Also he was avoiding a white truck on the left before merging into your lane to make a Uturn.  Some of these Thai drivers will pull you out of the car and beat the living sh*t out of you.

I'd be more courteous next time and stop driving so damn close to the car in front!

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

My wife keeps telling me never to use the horn to correct Thai drivers as she has read stories of some getting out with a gun. Up until now that has never happened and I refuse to react/drive like a woman and even at my advanced age live by my motto of take s from no one.

Yep, i speak from personal experience. I hooted at a car going round a corner at 5km/h with his indicator on. Holding up about 5 cars. Hand on the horn and went round him as soon as the road straightened out. He then pursued me all the way back to my house and office and sat there shouting insults from his car for the next 30 minutes and telling me and my staff how he was going to kill me. Said do you know who i am many times. Then he called his friend from the council to make himself look bigger... this friend turned up and just laughed at the whole situation then they both left. Bizarre and childish 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

It is the law. You should definitely read it if you don't even know the basics: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

The link did not work so I will take your word for it. The only thing I had seen was that slow moving vehicles must use the left lane as one of the exam questions.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

The link did not work so I will take your word for it

Section 34. In using the road which is divided into two or more lanes in the same direction or a bus lane is provided in the ultimate left lane, the driver must drive in the ultimate left lane or the lane next to bus lane, except in the following cases which the driver may drive in the right lane:

(1)   there is an obstruction in such lane, or it is not allowed to pass;

(2)   such road is determined by the traffic officer to be one way road;

(3)   it is required to get into the right lane when he or she reaches the area around a junction;

(4)   when the driver wants to overtake another conveyance;

(5)   when the driver drives faster than the conveyance driving in the left lane.

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, B.E. 2522 (1979).

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Hopefully the appropriate authority will take action.

Example attached.  

I still see nothing problematic here at all.  Of course, us Grumps will react like you whatever happens!

On 4/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, jackdd said:

But when looking at your other video,

Where did that one come from?

It shows nothing except our Grumps friend showing off for us. 

And showing that he is a far more unpleasant individual than one might have imagined from his postings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Really? What side of the road do we drive on? If not keep left, where do we drive?

Boggles the mind what so called trained drivers who will also claim to have passed a test seem to know. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Really? What side of the road do we drive on? If not keep left, where do we drive?

Boggles the mind what so called trained drivers who will also claim to have passed a test seem to know. 

This is gunna blow you mind but guess which is the left lane... then take note of the lane the OP is in.

left lane.jpg

22 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

And knocked the bike off the road before the following pick up hit him. I know how Thais drive but you are joking if the driver is in the wrong. He got caught out by their "its my road you can see me move away".

Nope. I have watched the video again and cannot see any motorbikes. Can't see any following pick up either. Only a front view.

Edited by puchooay

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

You need to look in your rear vision and side mirror.

We are not talking about my driving. We are talking about the first video posted on this thread. Please point out the motorcycle for me as I cannot see it.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

keep watching the video, the bike appears.

You said "And knocked the bike off the road before the following pick up hit him."

Could you please view the video once more and tell me the time at which the bike appears that he would have knocked off the road by driving on the left, I ask as I cannot see it.

Thanks for your help.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, jackdd said:

As pointed out by the previous poster, you should have been in the left lane anyway, if you had followed the law you would not have been in this situation.

If you had paid attention to his actions it was relatively clear that he will do some u-turn action, and you could just have moved to the left lane at this point.

But when looking at your other video, where you deliberately block the motorcycles path, I guess "to teach him a lesson", then you might have not avoided the situation in the OP on purpose:

That video of his is the exact definition of driving like a dick.

• Haha 1