Manager of two Thonglor pubs sentenced to two months in prison

webfact

9E5FB6CA-CB81-4C4D-ACE5-72A1655CA038.jpg

The manager of two pubs, in Bangkok’s Thonglor area, which were blamed as the source of the current Thonglor COVID-19 cluster, has been sentenced to two months in prison, without suspension.

Pol Maj-Gen Sophon Sarapat, commander of the 5th division of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said today (Sunday) that the manager of the Krystal Club and Emerald pub was arraigned before the Bangkok South District Court on Friday, for allegedly violating the Entertainment Venue Act and the Emergency Decree.

He said that the two nightspots may face closure for up to five years.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/manager-of-two-thonglor-pubs-sentenced-to-two-months-in-prison/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

Yup chuck the manager in jail, and hire another manager. It would be a miracle if an actual owner of any business in

Bangkok would be put in jail. It is Thailand after all. I do hope that the bars will also be shut down for 5 years, and no other name or reopening 

will be allowed for the properties, but time will tell on that issue.  

Geezer

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually I think that's the wrong sentence - better that anyone found with the virus who attended the club is put in hotel quarantine at the pub manager's expense.

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Am I missing something here? This is a classic army scapegoat move. Get the small fish. Leave the big ones alone. This is entirely the fault of Prayuth and Anutin. They should not only have been removed, they should both be in prison now.

This could have been avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakorn the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. A 2km. radius, around that seafood market where they found 900 positive cases.

Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? Squash the protest movement? Fear of the optics of a lockdown? No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. If the Thai people are to blame someone, these two should be at the top of the list. 

Should read! "Pub owners expense"

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Am I missing something here? This is a classic army scapegoat move. Get the small fish. Leave the big ones alone. This is entirely the fault of Prayuth and Anutin. They should not only have been removed, they should both be in prison now.

This could have been avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakorn the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. A 2km. radius, around that seafood market where they found 900 positive cases.

Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? Squash the protest movement? Fear of the optics of a lockdown? No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. If the Thai people are to blame someone, these two should be at the top of the list. 

VIPs do not go to jail in Thailand. Ever. For any reason. And when you have a corrupted constitution and election process all those in power are doubly untouchable. And even though there are thousands who have been protesting the current situation since, I think, last July, they have achieved absolutely nothing, nothing at all. And they never will.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

They are merely scapegoats for the real people who should go to jail and for even longer periods, having said that, if indeed they operated the bars and allow patrons in when they shouldn't... oh well...

Beat me on that.

The Pub Manager is probably just the scapegoat that  the ownwes instructed to open 

& said do not worry about the BIB, they have their envelope already,

In saying that he did not make any attempt at social distancing

The judge should have instructed the owners be put in front of the court,

9 hours ago, mstevens said:

That is what happened to Insanity on Sukhumvit 11 which received a 5 year closure order. Insanity largely had a farang customer base. I wonder if a 5 year closure order will be made to a bar with more of a local customer base?

Been done many times before, bars, pubs, discos, karaoke bars where most or 99% or all customers are Thai, 5 years ban on the owners/managers having any connection to such venues. 

Edited by scorecard

7 hours ago, brommers said:

2 months in jail is nothing more than a slap on the wrist

They are 'fall guys', no doubt receiving their full salary whilst in prison and probably a sizeable bonus on top of it for a job well done when they get out.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

VIPs do not go to jail in Thailand. Ever. For any reason. And when you have a corrupted constitution and election process all those in power are doubly untouchable. And even though there are thousands who have been protesting the current situation since, I think, last July, they have achieved absolutely nothing, nothing at all. And they never will.

You are probably correct. You are certainly correct about current officials being totally above the law here. However, I do think the youth will take down the dinosaurs, sooner or later. At least I sure hope so.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:
5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Expand  

You are probably correct. You are certainly correct about current officials being totally above the law here. However, I do think the youth will take down the dinosaurs, sooner or later. At least I sure hope so.

I can't think of anywhere that has happened. Can you? ☹️

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can't think of anywhere that has happened. Can you? ☹️

Well, it happened in Egypt, Libya and Algeria. But, it was not sustainable, in the end. The 14ft. alligators managed to climb right back into control of the swamp. 

However, I hold out hope. The only way for Thailand to move forward is without the toxic dinosaurs. 

On 4/12/2021 at 3:17 AM, webfact said:

The manager of two pubs, in Bangkok’s Thonglor area, which were blamed as the source of the current Thonglor COVID-19 cluster, has been sentenced to two months in prison, without suspension.

Luckily the club owners had no idea what was going on in the clubs and therefore escaped prosecution.