Affordable house rental in southern Thailand.

I'm currently in Jomtien with my girlfriend, in a very cheap (THB 5,000 pm) apartment. It suits my purposes at the moment, and being on the baht bus route is certainly advantageous, but I will, in due course be either renting or buying personal transport.

I'm interested in a long-term house rental somewhere down south. I have already experienced 2 and 3 month stays in Kamala, Krabi, Khao Lak, and Hua Hin and particularly enjoyed the Andaman sea coast.

Someone (I think on this forum) once said that they rent a "very nice house " in Kamala for THB c11,000pm. I can afford more than that if the location is right, and it would be nice to be not too far from the beach. I really would prefer a bungalow, but am open to suggestions. One bedroom would be adequate, while three would be a waste.

I've tried several estate agency websites, but find none of them particularly user-friendly, or indeed relevant to the criteria which I input. Some of them even immediately show "worldwide" properties when the title describes eg Phuket??? 

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

David.

OP, its not clear what your actual question is, are you looking for recommendations where to live, what rentals are available in Hua Hin through to Krabi.

Maybe narrow your search criteria or enquiry, otherwise, yes, there are 10k baht houses all over the south of Thailand.

You would probably do better finding an area you like, stay in a hotel and look around

• Like 1

Yes Peter, 

I agree that it is indeed a very broad question, and it was meant to be. I thought that it might elicit replies from someone who is (or was) living in the southern areas of Thailand, and who could offer their own personal opinions based on their experience.

I am seeking recommendations on location and equally on price/availability of certain properties.

Also, with regard to the text of my original enquiry, I would be interested to learn the name of any "useful/user-friendly" real estate agency website whereby I could conduct further research before actually travelling.

Joint the Facebook Phuket real estate groups.  There are probably a few different ones.   All you will need to do is post your requirements and you’ll have a dozen people sending you private messages with their offerings/leads/whatever.

• Like 2

I have been living on Koh Samui for 16 years now and in my opinion is the best Island to live on.  Yes, I know Phuket is bigger and possibly has more facilities, but there is something endearing in the Samui people that I have not found anywhere else in Thailand.  Yes, it is marginally more expensive as items have to be imported, but not a great deal so.  I live approximately 300 meters from the beach and 120 meters from the main circular road, with a 7 Eleven 120 meters away, Big C about 2ks away, Cvilash and Carry 3ks and Tesco about 4ks.  There are a plethora of activities one can do, both on and off the Island.  We built our own little Resort, with shared swimming pool with European standard Villas within your price range.  If you would like to pm me, I can send you more details and photos of the properties.  Good luck with you search.  David.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, davidhen said:

Yes Peter, 

I agree that it is indeed a very broad question, and it was meant to be. I thought that it might elicit replies from someone who is (or was) living in the southern areas of Thailand, and who could offer their own personal opinions based on their experience.

I am seeking recommendations on location and equally on price/availability of certain properties.

Also, with regard to the text of my original enquiry, I would be interested to learn the name of any "useful/user-friendly" real estate agency website whereby I could conduct further research before actually travelling.

As others have said, lots of rentals/sales etc are listed informally in local facebook groups, buy/sell grups and similar. Join a couple of those groups for an area you are interested in and you will get 100s of listing each day. 

My mate & I rented a brand new house fully furnished in Krabi (going back a few years) for 9k a month 

2 big bedrooms 1 with balcony. Night bathroom upstairs just a toilet & sink  downstairs - large diner / lounge & separate kitchen.

Outside area that was covered at the front & easily park a car in there.

If you know people in the area you want to move to ask them to look around - I've never used an agent always word of mouth 

Hope that helps 

Forget about agents - find an area you like, scout around, ask around and you will find.

My daughter rents a 3 story town house in Ao Nang, with parking, 2 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, kitchen, sitting room, aircons etc. for 7k per month. Conveniently situated within walking distance of Makro, 7/11 and Tesco. Krabi Town is even cheaper.

All over Ao Nang are signs for houses, apartments to rent. Rent an m/c and drive around.

Most agents in Thailand are completely disinterested and unhelpful unless you are spending big bucks and even then, all they care about is their commission - not helping you. Do the legwork, it's worth it! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:35 AM, davidhen said:

I'm interested in a long-term house rental somewhere down south. I have already experienced 2 and 3 month stays in Kamala, Krabi, Khao Lak, and Hua Hin and particularly enjoyed the Andaman sea coast.

For 10,000 baht to 15,000 baht a month you can find a wide selection of reasonable fine house or bungalows down south.

It's mainly a question of location; i.e. how many meters you wish to walk to the beach, and/or to local shopping and restaurants.

Where I live – and that is an island considered being expensive – you can for example rent a nice smaller aircon bungalow with bedroom, baht, small kitchen, living room and a relative spacious covered terrace, for just under 10,000 baht a month only 100 meter from a prime beach.

The best bargains you often find by just heading down there, stay somewhere temporary, and look around for signs, or spoken word method, it's also a benefit over AirBnb and other photo-portals that you see whats it's like in real, and very important, you can also check the surrounding area...????