First day of Songkran: 500+ drunk drivers

webfact

16 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were out in force on Sukhumvit last night, I was pulled to the kerb and given a breath alcohol test. Passed and was sent on my way.

Good result.  It stopped raining about 5pm so presumably they were trying to make up for lost time.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Good result.  It stopped raining about 5pm so presumably they were trying to make up for lost time.

The see a farang in a Benz they are pulling me over, that's the way it goes. They see an opportunity for extortion, which is the Thai Police MO. 

The did not test me with the other Somchais, they took me aside away and used a different breathalyser unit. Obviously hoping that I would blow numbers and they could ask me for a bribe. 

I heard them talking and they were asking if there was a Thai person in the car, which there was, and they all seemed to know what they were doing. Fortunately I was not drunk and they had to let me go. Note that the senior officers were fully involved in this. 

Absolute corrupt vermin the lot of them.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, mikebell said:

I expect none were caught in the Pattaya area as police don't work in the rain.

They don't work anytime unless there's a good chance of collecting tea money.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

"They chose to lie to, steal from and cheat foreigners," Yes, but that is mostly in the tourist areas, as would happen in any country. Up country here I cannot remember any case of any Thai stealing from me or cheating me, quite the opposite I would say.

Not really interested in your experience, there are too many factors which make it unreliable at best. Those who lie, cheat and steal (especially where foreigners are concerned) likely did not learn those skills in the same place they are currently employed. I have come across thousands of Thais since coming to live in TL, and I believe I could count those on my fingers whom I believe would not steal from me, given the opportunity. YMMV.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

"They chose to lie to, steal from and cheat foreigners," Yes, but that is mostly in the tourist areas, as would happen in any country. Up country here I cannot remember any case of any Thai stealing from me or cheating me, quite the opposite I would say.

I want a drink so I can feel good about myself, and all powerful and grown-up and stuff.

Yes, the police say should not drive  if I've got a skinfull  But, I am a Thai and I can do whatever I like – I know this because I was taught it at school.  In any case, the police are all corrupt, and if they don't obey the law why should I?   And anyway if I end up only as a smear on the road, when I come back perhaps I'll be rich.

Yep, brain as dead as can be, but hey, NMP.

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

I want a drink so I can feel good about myself, and all powerful and grown-up and stuff.

Yes, the police say should not drive  if I've got a skinfull  But, I am a Thai and I can do whatever I like – I know this because I was taught it at school.  In any case, the police are all corrupt, and if they don't obey the law why should I?   And anyway if I end up only as a smear on the road, when I come back perhaps I'll be rich.

Yep, brain as dead as can be, but hey, NMP.

What does NMP stand for?

What does NMP stand for?

NMP = Not My Problem.

BTW, when I said I wasn't interested in your experience... on re-reading, that sounds a bit snarkey. It wasn't meant to be, sorry, no offence intended.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, Ventenio said:

i could solve every problem in the world!!!!!  

That's funny.   I have the same thought from time to time ( when i disregard my better instinct to just not think )

So,  we could divide the workload and you take half the problems and I'll take the other half.

Somehow i think some of my solutions will p**s  off an awful lot of people !  

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

They see a Thai in a Benz and assume he's a cop.

I should get some of those Police badges and amulets etc. but I like my motor without any of that nonsense on the grill or hanging from the rear-view mirror lol

The company truck I sometimes use has all the amulets and stickers and never has a problem, gets waved through all the time.