Thailand road carnage: Losses are 500 billion baht a year

webfact

& so many of the motorcycle accidents are caused by stray dogs. Just another one yesterday here. About every year or so another  bunch of school kids come off their bike in front of my place - trying to avoid Soi dogs.

The dogs are also one of the biggest downers for tourists who come for a nice quiet holiday - & end up vowing never to come back, kept awake by the dogs barking & fighting all night.

Edited by Stuart21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart21 said:

& so many of the motorcycle accidents are caused by stray dogs. Just another one yesterday here. About every year or so another  bunch of school kids come off their bike in front of my place - trying to avoid Soi dogs.

The dogs are also one of the biggest downers for tourists who come for a nice quiet holiday - & end up vowing never to come back, kept awake by the dogs barking & fighting all night.

Upcountry, it's the chickens. They often fire up about 4am. And the folk that run the cock-fighting. They fire up whenever they feel like it. The government tried to ban cock-fighting a few years back. Effect: none at all and the police just ignored it: the usual Thai problem.

I am not sure if I am allowed to say this, but I have not seen too many years of Thailand being an actual democratic

country. There were a couple of legitimate governments, but with so many military coups, the country has been either

ruled by the monarchy, or ran,  or semi ran by the military.  Am I wrong in my estimate?  I do believe that this military

situation is one of the main reasons that there has not been much in the way of change.  I am only a farang who is married to a Thai

woman, and her family is only in Bangkok and up country, so what do I really know of the country, as I have only been coming to

Thailand on visits for about 25 years. Always see and read about the road carnage, and it really does not shock me or surprise me to see it

continue.

Geezer

On 4/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, hotchilli said:

Amazing what they can turn a blind eye to.

Someone should let them into the secret, save that amount of money they could buy another submarine-now that would get their attention. 

On 4/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, Andrew65 said:

"But these appear to be deaths at the scene with the reality after deaths on the way to and hospitals are added being much worse".

Some say that this is not true, whilst this article says that it is.

"Some 80% of the deaths are motorcyclists".

One thing being is that there are so many motorbikes on the road in Thailand, in comparison, in the UK, there are hardly any. Plus, a motorcyclist is probably much more likely to die in an accident.

The latest figures put these deaths at nearly TWO every MINUTE! What a damning statistic for a lazy, ineffective police force who think they are entitled to no weekend work; no shift work (after dark); hi-days & holidays; overtime payments for doing nothing but stare at their phones!