Finally some good news: Thailand tipped to ease 90 day reporting for foreigners

snoop1130

Thailand has been somewhat depending on foreign people who can help their economy.
However, they need to think about establishing a strong economy without the aid of foreign people.
It is time for change. This would be good for Thailand.  

I used to spend over US 60K a year using LOS as my base , but half of that went to the 4 months per year I spent in Europe and CA. Years ago I tried to see how much I could spend on girls every month, and even there, there's a limit beyond which one is just being absurd. But I know some people are good at luxury. For me, true pleasure is the golden mean. 

And I agree with the poster who said the Thais are trying to exhibit superiority, but I would call it showing who's truly in charge; be too reasonable and it's the guests who become the ones in charge, just as in any sort of relationship.

And in other news, China delenda est.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The types of foreign retirees targeted will be those who have a healthy pension pot, with the ability to spend 200,000 - 300,000 baht per month. 

Why do they keep targeting rich foreigners? People with a lot of money will not choose to live in Thailand, when there are other places far easier to live, with more luxury options.
The every day, medium income farang are Thailand's bread and butter. Make it easier for THEM. Not holding my breath though.

• Thanks 2

I can believe them as the 90-day report has been easier than ever in recent months...

They took down the app and website, so now we have to go to the immigration office. When my girlfriend went there on my behalf, she asked for "GPS location". So I sent my location in LINE, but finally I understood I had to send Google Maps coordinate of the house as it now has to be written on the top left (or is it right) on the form She was also told that next time she'd need a power of attorney to do the 90-day reporting on my behalf.

Edited by SymS
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

Blah blah blah, change .... blah blah blah boosing investment ..... blah blah blah ....... making it easier for foreigners.

Nothing will happen. Mark my words. ????

Heard it all before aimed only at people who have a very healthy pension fund, those of us with more meagre savings and state pension will be ignored, they have just realised no significant rise in tourism for the foreseeable future so lure wealthy retirees to ease shortfall. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The types of foreign retirees targeted will be those who have a healthy pension pot, with the ability to spend 200,000 - 300,000 baht per month. 

The government says that if it can attract one million retirees each spending 100,000 baht per month or 1.2million baht per year, that would generate 1.2 trillion baht per year for the economy.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

NO! good news would be = the Government have spent some baht on VACCINES and everybody are about to be injected and PROTECTED!

Lets all rush down to Lumpini Park and bare our shoulders for a jab! Thais can reopen their shops/business's! Afford food for the elderly and children, stop the suicides! 

Then we can get excited about tourists coming in, and being TESTED at the airports/borders!

• Like 2

My announcement would be this:

As an experiment, Immigration has decided to abandon 90 day reporting during the covid crisis. When this proves successful, we will abandon 90 day reporting until further notice.

We will do this during covid times to facilitate social distancing and for unnecessary travel to and from Immigration Offices country-wide.

Our reasons:

Online reporting is not reliable enough for many foreigners.

After considering the benefits to Immigration of current practices we conclude the following:

We are collecting much paperwork that is filed, never seeing the light of day again.

We genuinely want our foreign "residents" to feel welcome here and to reduce some aspects of bureaucracy.

It has been, and likely to continue for some time for the Covid-19 pandemic to be a considerable burden on Government, businesses and all of the people.

We hope this concession will meet with your approval.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

90 day reports;

How about re-setting the clock when they see you?  I renewed my retirement extension in February, then had to go back 2 weeks later for my 90 day.  Why, they'd seen me recently?

A minor change and, I think, sensible.  I can just imagine trying to explain it to a Thai though.  ????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government says that if it can attract one million retirees each spending 100,000 baht per month or 1.2million baht per year, that would generate 1.2 trillion baht per year for the economy.

but if those in the target group were to spend 200.000 only 500.000 new retirees would be required.
so would it not be better to attract the 100.000 spender, sell an additional 500.000 dwellings, and moreover create scarcity on the Thai equivalent of Australian (?) ThaiCupid ??
????????

Edited by KKr

Thailand wants to upgrade but again...
 Thailand develops practically nothing comparing to the other countries. They are always open their arms wide open for rich people who are not interested in Thailand but rush away as fast as it is possible. Other countries offer far much better and now, cheaper.
 On the other hand, I have worked here for more than 10 years. I tried to teach Thai students not only one subject but never got 50.000 THB even leaving alone 2-300K.
Those who tried to teach here at least a semester should know that this 10-year period is equal to 30 in Europe. 
 But I must admit Thailand is grateful and offers me present at the immigration office every 90 days, I can pay roughly 2K THB every 60 days leaving alone the other gifts of the Smiling country. 
Maybe this is a reason why Thailand is not on the list of the best countries to retire anymore.

• Like 1

I figure best case is the govt might do away with the 90 day reporting and just require reporting once every 6 or 12 months but at the same time I find it hard to believe the govt will want to give up keeping a close eye on farangs as farangs bear close watching.

The govt has already tried an O-X Retirement Visa and Investment Visa, both of which have flown like lead balloons due to their high financial requirements after being initially advertised as a new retirement & real estate magnets for Thailand...it's going to draw thousand upon thousand of rich retirees/investors....but to this day it's extremely hard to find anyone who got a O-X visa or investment visa due to their high financial requirements.     

Current O-X Visa Requirements

• – Applicant must have a bank deposit of no less than 3 million baht in Thailand or a bank deposit of no less than 1.8 million baht and annual income of no less than 1.2 million baht. Such amount must be maintained in bank deposit in full for at least one year, and keep at no less than 1.5 million baht thereafter.
    • – Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht.

Current Investment Visa Requirements

What is a Thai Investment Visa?

To keep it simple, foreigners can obtain a one-year Investment Visa by investing a minimum 10 Million Baht (MB) in the following:

• Buying condominium units of at least 10 Million Baht in new developments.
  • Buying Thai government or Thai state enterprise bonds worth at least 10 Million Baht.
  • Deposit the funds, in a Fixed Deposit Account in a Thai Bank.

Foreign investors looking to apply for the Investment Visa programme, are permitted to invest in a combination of assets at their discretion.

3 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

90 day reports;

How about re-setting the clock when they see you?  I renewed my retirement extension in February, then had to go back 2 weeks later for my 90 day.  Why, they'd seen me recently?

A minor change and, I think, sensible.  I can just imagine trying to explain it to a Thai though.  ????

Apparently they enjoy your company, or more likely wish to stimulate you to use the If-it-ain't-broken-don't-fix-it-90-day reporting App

What exactly are you complaining about?

Why didn't you go down the Permanent Resident or Citizenship route?

If you are not working, is it really that much effort to give 5 minutes of your time 4 times a year?

Do you resent giving someone 500 baht to do the 90 day report for you in person?

The immigration rules for foreigners in Thailand are super relaxed as it is. Even if you can't meet financial requirements, you can "fix" this for a small amount through agents. I know guys who even pay money directly to immigration - $500 a year for a 1-year extension!

If I want to live in the US, for example, I have to invest 16,000,000 baht!

• Sad 3