Finally some good news: Thailand tipped to ease 90 day reporting for foreigners

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, 235291_1469957462 said:

Boy meets girl. Boy supports girls family. Boy moves to Thailand and needs to live in a western style house so he boys one in a Mooban.  The he buys two new motorbikes and a car. Then a whole houseful of Furnitire. The people in the town open up a bunch of restaurants and markets to feed the boy and girl.  The mall opens

up Furnitire stores for the Furnitire. The girls family buys lots of new things and so on and so on and so on. 

Sadly, some expat seem to think that Thai people are the same financially as the ones they meet in holiday destinations like Pattaya. This is NOT the case. These poverty-stricken girls are forced into prostitution, often by their parents, as they come from the poorest areas of the country. Most Thais don't live in Sakhon Nowhere with a motorbike and a buffalo. 

I like Thailand a lot don’t get me wrong, but the only wealthy tourists who are going to come here and spend like that are the ones who have a serious affliction for Thai women. 

most wealthy expats will go elsewhere for reasons I don’t have to explain. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As a Thai, I concur that most Thais don't like foreigners. Accept it, it ain't going to change soon. 

What exactly do you think is wrong with the current retirement visa option? I'd bet it's a lot easier for you to retire here than for me to retire to your country. Where are you from?

I am from the UK but live in NZ, I am ex JPM Chase UK so I know the type of person that Chayotid Kridakorn is. I concur that you would find it difficult to retire in the UK. My argument is not with specific retirement options in Thailand. It is related the the ever changing requirements for retirement. 

Also, I worry about a potential war between the west and the east within the next five to ten years. Given that there might be a future conflict I would visit the region but not settle when I retire. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i hope they don't throw the current retirees under a bus to accomodate the new (richer) batch they expect will be bashing down the door to get in..

only for the new batch to look at the hoops and say <deleted> that..

devils in the details lads and based on recent history this mob only considers their wish list

still here's hoping!

I suspect the 'new' retirees will be in limited numbers. 

Why? I believe the farang with the funds they mention will be used to luxury and not many would want to retire to a 3rd world country where simple things can be quite difficult.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sqoop said:

I am from the UK but live in NZ, I am ex JPM Chase UK so I know the type of person that Chayotid Kridakorn is. I concur that you would find it difficult to retire in the UK. My argument is not with specific retirement options in Thailand. It is related the the ever changing requirements for retirement. 

Also, I worry about a potential war between the west and the east within the next five to ten years. Given that there might be a future conflict I would visit the region but not settle when I retire. 

One thing that would certainly help is changing the land ownership laws. There are too many influential people making huge amounts from foreigners, either by rent or leasing.

Some more reciprocation, ie making it as easy for Thais to retire to the UK as Brits retiring to Thailand. Most single Thai retirees don't want to marry a British woman, and most British woman don't want to marry an old Thai ???? .

However, most Thais going to Britain have plenty of cash, unlike here. What people like Khun Chayotid don't like is the attitude of the visitors here, many with a superior, almost colonial one. They expect equal treatment, but don't want to even learn the language or assimilate in to society.  

There is a very strong hierarchical social system here and these 'economical' retirees mixing with the desperate farming community confuse the whole thing, and they want to put a stop to it, by which one way is weeding out the illegals using agents to get their fake visa. 

Oh boy, I say bring it on....and sooner than later! ????????????????????????????. And while you are at it....how about fixing the beach in Pattaya, it washed away once again....last spotted passing by Koh Larn....????????

Edited by chicowoodduck
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There is a very strong hierarchical social system here and these 'economical' retirees mixing with the desperate farming community confuse the whole thing, and they want to put a stop to it, by which one way is weeding out the illegals using agents to get their fake visa. 

I think social media will have a greater effect on this social system than any change caused by immigration. The wide spread use of mobile phones and the internet will give the young high expectations even if they are irrational. 

4 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I think social media will have a greater effect on this social system than any change caused by immigration. The wide spread use of mobile phones and the internet will give the young high expectations even if they are irrational. 

Indeed, but the country will remain being controlled by the powerful elite, who will do everything in their power to keep the "status quo".

• Like 2

The beneficiaries of this plan shrunk dramatically with the proposed 200,000 to 300,000 baht per month spending requirement...  ????  I don't see how this can be construed as "good news."  Take a zero off of the end of both of those numbers and then it would be "good news" and a reality....

Edited by PuaSai
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, but the country will remain being controlled by the powerful elite, who will do everything in their power to keep the "status quo".

Agreed, but isnt that the problem with asia in general compared to the west ? If you retire to the west or Australia / NZ you can for instance buy land and property. There is no worry that regime changes may cause future loss of property investment. Even though future tax rules could make investment more expensive in the west. 

However, with all that I have said I still enjoy asia. I love visiting Thailand and enjoy the life there. If only the Thai regime could find long term stability. 

• Like 1

I am hoping this consideration of scrapping the 90 day report is the start of a face-saving exercise avoiding any admission of the real reason why they can't fix it.

My guess is server/database crash - quick get the backup!! What backup??

Next step they actually discuss it, and announce it is no longer needed, saving face and demonstrating how nice they really are.

They should be starting a rewrite of TM30 using QR codes and APP technology for the hotels. Quick scan on check in, enjoy your stay.

3 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Agreed, but isnt that the problem with asia in general compared to the west ? If you retire to the west or Australia / NZ you can for instance buy land and property. There is no worry that regime changes may cause future loss of property investment. Even though future tax rules could make investment more expensive in the west. 

However, with all that I have said I still enjoy asia. I love visiting Thailand and enjoy the life there. If only the Thai regime could find long term stability. 

Yes, it is most of Asia. It also exists in the UK but not so openly, along with Nepotism and Cronyism.

I actually think that the government in Thailand is quite stable in its own weird way, despite having 4 new Constitutions in my time here. We have come to be comfortable with the way things are done here. 

Thailand will remain a nice tax haven for Brits, especially with the future crypto millionaires. 

Even the poorer expats can live a much better lifestyle than in the UK and taking a couple of hours to visit immigration every 3 months could be a nice trip for them, certainly more exciting than going down the local bookies in Bradford. It can even be done online but I think they secretly enjoying going in person, and prefer to go online just to moan about the injustice of it all ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Johnnyb2good said:

Sounds like...Thaksin’s still running the show. Remotely. ; /

Let’s find a beautiful & fantastic way to ONLY attract wealthy foreigners, completely rid ourselves of the sh*tty lo-so’s.

People forget what he did. This current government is miles better that Taksin's one regarding foreigners.

Taksin increased the cost of a visa extension by 290%!!

Taxsin increased the money required for marriage/retirement by 100%. 

It has remained the same since then. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i hope they don't throw the current retirees under a bus to accomodate the new (richer) batch they expect will be bashing down the door to get in..

only for the new batch to look at the hoops and say <deleted> that..

devils in the details lads and based on recent history this mob only considers their wish list

still here's hoping!

You can see the dollar signs flashing in their eyes right now..Every unscrupulous character will be plonking their money here in order to launder it in Real Estate away from the taxman and anyone else regardless of how it was accumulated..and the detail will be magically missing.Any regulated requirements will only include a minimum amount..the more the better!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Don't all governments focus on immigrants, tourist, and expats with the most money?

No.  Very few countries, including Thailand, have much interest at all in such external people. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The types of foreign retirees targeted will be those who have a healthy pension pot, with the ability to spend 200,000 - 300,000 baht per month. 

Why would anyone with this available discretionary spending come to Thailand?

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

There is no worry that regime changes may cause future loss of property investment.

This is Totally Untrue about the West.  Some of us lost many million on property investments due to Brexit.  Current eventualities may cause further losses.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PGSan said:

This is Totally Untrue about the West.  Some of us lost many million on property investments due to Brexit.  Current eventualities may cause further losses.

Ouch .. I wasnt aware. Are you from the UK or Europe ? How did you lose property ? Were you forced to sell at short notice ? I havent lived in the UK for ten years so although I watched Brexit unfold it did not affect me personally.