56 dead, 729 injured in first two days of Songkran travel - 17,000 nabbed for no licenses

snoop1130

Thailand_motorbike accident.jpg

Image: file photo

56 people have died and 729 people have been injured from 705 accidents during the first two days of Thailand’s so-called ‘7 Dangerous Days’.

The accidents took place on April 10 and 11 following increased traffic on the roads as people travel for the Songkran holidays.

Figures released on Monday cited speeding as the biggest cause of accidents, followed by people driving under the influence of alcohol.

A staggering 87 percent of all accidents involved a motorcycle.

Most accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm and involved those aged 50 and over. 

Police said 1,916 checkpoints inspected 330,653 vehicles. 

Of the vehicles inspected 61,702 drivers face prosecution, with 15,661 found to not be wearing helmets and 17,025 did not have driving licenses.

Nakhon Si Thammaratt and Roi Et accounted for the most accidents, recording 16 accidents each.

The province with the highest deaths was Trang and Samut Prakan (3 per province).

The province with the highest number of injuries was Nakhon Si Thammarat (20 people).

Typically between 350 and 400 people are killed in road accidents in Thailand during the Songkran holidays.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-12

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What I don't see recognized in this thread is that Thailand has a huge number of travelers on motorbikes. Unlike countries where both greater average wealth and climate tend to minimize the use of such vehicles. Naturally when motorcyclists and their passengers get into an accident, the consequences are more severe than for those in 4 wheeled or larger vehicles. Are there any statistical breakdown that report how many fatalities are motorcyclists vs how many are those in other vehicles?

From the OP

A staggering 87 percent of all accidents involved a motorcycle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

No it does not say that. 87 percent of all accidents involved a motor bike was stated.  That could also mean 87% of accidents involved a car hitting a motorbike. It was not defined accurately hence false assumptions could easily be drawn. Likewise it was quoted 17,000 people were found to have no license without defining the exact number of people stopped. So the % of drivers not holding a valid license is unknown.

"A staggering 87 percent of all accidents involved a motorcycle."

If anything the odds of a motorcylist surviving a collision with a 4 wheeled vehicle are a lot worse given the disparity in mass. The relevant point is that if a motorcylist is in an accident, they have a much worse chance of survival than do drivers or passengers in 4 wheeled vehicles. As the US statistics clearly show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

"A staggering 87 percent of all accidents involved a motorcycle."

If anything the odds of a motorcylist surviving a collision with a 4 wheeled vehicle are a lot worse given the disparity in mass. The relevant point is that if a motorcylist is in an accident, they have a much worse chance of survival than do drivers or passengers in 4 wheeled vehicles. As the US statistics clearly show.

I agree but I was not discussing survival rates, I was outlining statistical percentage of the involvement in accidents. As for your point outlining the US chances of survivability, then that is common sense obvious to a schoolboy.

7 hours ago, WHansen said:

330,653 vehicles inspected.

17,052 with no licence.

5.15 percent of those inspected had no licence.

Where were those figures stated pls ? Because the report I read did not define of those  vehicles were stoppedm how many were motor vehicles  out of that total vs how many motorcycles were stopped so hence in my original post regarding the stated figure of accidents (87%), it was not possible to differentiate the potential numbers of those motorcyclist whom had no licence as opposed to those driving motor vehicles with no licence.

Edited by Excel

Sukhumvit to me is like a death trap in and around Pattaya. Speeders, on their phones, every intersection red light runners and people making odd turns.  No area is completely safe, I ride my motorbike in the city and rarely go on Sukhumvit always take the side roads.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Unless the traffic infringements are dealt with seriously, nothing will ever change. Whether no licence, no helmet, speeding or whatever, hit them initially with a 10,000Baht fine. For more serious matters which include no licence or insurance, driving the wrong way, running red lights etc and driving whilst under the influence or drugs or alcohol,   then a more hefty fine and /or imprisonment is required plus a minimum 1 year driving ban

Stay within the law and nobody is punished!

Too harsh I think close to a months income for many Thais that is like a 100,000 b fine in western countries.

3,000 b would probably be enough to get their attention.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paul Knight said:

If the insurance companies demanded to see a Valid Driving licence before insurance given, this would cut down that number 

You insure the vehicle, not the driver. But, yes, see the DL for the policyholder at least.

• Like 1