Shortage of 95 octane fuel in Jomtien?

BUMMERJACK

Hi there thaivisa people

Moved to Jomtien earlier this month and I rented motor bike. Running low on fuel now so for the last two days I've been trying to find some more. Been to five-six of these small shops where they just put bottles in stands, they're all out of 95. Then I found a machine on the side of the road where you put bills to get fuel, didn't work either, even though I know it worked a few days ago. Lastly I went to a bigger gas station today since I figured it can't be possible that they're also out. To my big despair tho they had blocked the pumps with 95 and told me that they don't have any. 

So from tomorrow I'm out of fuel. Is this normal around here or is it some temporary shortage? Am I missing something? Haven't encountered this in any other place I've been in Thailand. Thankful for any advice, walking everywhere is going to turn tedious real quick.

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

You can definitely use 91.

If it's a newer model you can also use E20.

And never experienced a problem with the "bottle shops".

91 is light green color.

Still available although this is the fuel they wanted to phase out.

Postponed.

From the AP Honda website for the actual Click 125i:

Benzene unleaded fuel or gasohol fuel with octane level of 95 or 91 or up to 20% ethyl mixture

Burns whatever available and 91 always worked.

https://www.thaihonda.co.th/honda/motorcycle/automatic/new-click-125i

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

Have you tried a fuel station they normally have gallons!

Did you even take the time to read the OP?

18 hours ago, BUMMERJACK said:

Lastly I went to a bigger gas station today since I figured it can't be possible that they're also out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I asked my rental guy if it was ok that I used 91 as long as I couldn't get hold of 95, since he explicitly told me to use 95 when I got the keys. He said it was fine for now. 

But yeah, it's real strange that a gas station can be out of a certain gas type. Like a bank without money...

6 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Semi related.. ..seems diesel price jumped a bit.. 1,000 would get the MUX to 3/4 .... recently 1,000 barely gets over 1/2 tank mark..

Sounds strange. B7 Diesel is in the 25.xx to 26.xx range since about two months.

PTT starting price today 26.49.

After steady rise some ups and downs. Nothing that I would call a jump.

Or how long is your filling interval?

Are you sure you haven't been sold the most expensive "premium" stuff? (31.16 Baht)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUMMERJACK said:

But yeah, it's real strange that a gas station can be out of a certain gas type. Like a bank without money...

It happened to me twice this year for whatever reason.

Quite unusual as I can't remember that over the years.

Thankfully this is not Venezuela or Laos.

13 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Semi related.. ..seems diesel price jumped a bit.. 1,000 would get the MUX to 3/4 .... recently 1,000 barely gets over 1/2 tank mark..

Ever considered looking at the pump display, to see the price or how many liters you got, instead of relying on the inaccurate meter on your dashboard?

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds strange. B7 Diesel is in the 25.xx to 26.xx range since about two months.

PTT starting price today 26.49.

After steady rise some ups and downs. Nothing that I would call a jump.

Or how long is your filling interval?

Are you sure you haven't been sold the most expensive "premium" stuff? (31.16 Baht)?

For the last month out in Nakhon Nowhere, B7 diesel has been 27baht/1 litre.

At the end of January it was 25.6

At the end of February it was 27.3

At the end of March it was 27.4 down from a peak of 27.7

This month it has been 27.0

I keep a log and it gives me 

Fuel        KM                Average        cost per litre    Monthly    Monthly

Date    Cost    amount    Before    after    difference        trip    overall        Cost    mileage

48 minutes ago, sead said:

You only need to drive 2min more and youre out on highway with many stations?

I expect when one is low on fuel heading any distance out of town might put him on edge, particularly if he is not familiar that there are many fuel stations on Sukhumvit between a left turn onto Klang and Nua.. And a couple next door to one another on Threppasit. Long time since there was one at the North end of 2nd Rd, and there is always the choice of the place at the 3rd/Tai junction where they try not to zero the pumps and short change! The Songkran and bar closings may well have put a run on 95 octane fuel... but most rental bikes are relatively new and will burn the newer blends just fine.  

13 hours ago, BUMMERJACK said:

the station on Threp road was out of gas on Monday, the one on Suk Rd was fine - top of Threp turn right it is 150m on left

91 is what you should be using, I use 91 benzene (yellow) in my Honda 1100 I do my best to avoid gasohol - horrible stuff

On 4/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, jackdd said:

Which bike do you ride?

You can probably just put in 91 or E20.

I always put 95 in my Forza, but the very odd time I couldn't. I just put in 91. Never noticed any difference.

16 hours ago, BUMMERJACK said:

Thanks for the input guys. I asked my rental guy if it was ok that I used 91 as long as I couldn't get hold of 95, since he explicitly told me to use 95 when I got the keys. He said it was fine for now. 

and an optician who doesn't sell cleaning fluid for specs. This is true, honest.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

91 is what you should be using, I use 91 benzene (yellow) in my Honda 1100 I do my best to avoid gasohol - horrible stuff

If Benzene (> 30 Baht/l) it is 95. There is no 91 benzene in Thailand.

Benzene becoming rare, only at selected stations.

Gasohol might be bad for your bike.

The other millions of scooters and small bikes don't suffer.

They are built for it since >> 10 years.

The gasohol horror tale is ineradicable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If Benzene (> 30 Baht/l) it is 95. There is no 91 benzene in Thailand.

Benzene becoming rare, only at selected stations.

Gasohol might be bad for your bike.

The other millions of scooters and small bikes don't suffer.

They are built for it since >> 10 years.

The gasohol horror tale is ineradicable.

as far as I am aware it is 91 (yellow) not 95 but it matters not a jot either way

my bike can run all fuels if I want to use them

Edited by smedly

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

as far as I am aware it is 91 (yellow) not 95

my bike can run all fuels if I want to use them

As per KhunBENQ benzene is only available as 95 and is yellow.

91 Benzene have not been available for at least a couple of years.

Yeah, I generally run Benzine in the Harley when it's available or "95" if it's not. Some will run the E20 as it's usually cheaper.

Here is a base summary of the fuel grades (at least the ones at PTT).
Note the E20 Octane rating is what PTT claims.
Our E20 comprise of a base 91-octane benzene added with ethanol, which has much higher octane than benzene. The result is an octane level of 98-99 for the whole mixture,” he said."
https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30186889#:~:text=“Our E20 comprise of a,whole mixture%2C” he said.

My understanding of how the fuel grades work:
892238647_fuelgrades.jpg.f9b0ea909a1c45156025fec52cfa743f.jpg

• Like 2

Once again guys, thanks. I didn't know I had another gas station close to the one that was out of fuel Monday. Just been living here just over a week and went to the closest one. 

Also, ty for the explanations about what gas I can use and not. I suspected it wouldn't matter, I just didn't wanna decide on my own to use another type when I got instructed otherwise by the rental guy. It's his bike, not mine. 

Edited by BUMMERJACK

38 minutes ago, BUMMERJACK said:

Once again guys, thanks. I didn't know I had another gas station close to the one that was out of fuel Monday. Just been living here just over a week and went to the closest one. 

Also, ty for the explanations about what gas I can use and not. I suspected it wouldn't matter, I just didn't wanna decide on my own to use another type when I got instructed otherwise by the rental guy. It's his bike, not mine. 

You are too concerned about nothing, just fill 91 E20 and tell him you filled 95 if he ask.

If he is giving any problems just go to another rent outlet, they are very eager for customers and I am sure you can get a very good deal.

My 7 years old pxc has been running 91 e20 for almost 30k km and the engine is still in very good shape.