Covid insurance for entry to Thailand by a Permanent Resident

As far as I know the USD100k insurance required for entry by foreigners also applies to permanent residents. Everything I read says that the policy is supposed to cover the period of intended stay i.e. the duration of a visa or up to the expiry date of a current extension.

Does anyone know how this works in practice for a permanent resident? Since there is no permitted to remain date and obviously you can't buy an insurance policy valid for life.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

I looked at couple of embassy websites plus the COE application site and found no clear info.

Since a year is the longest you can get the $100,000 covid 19 insurance is one year that should be all that you would need.

You would have to contact the embassy or official consulate that would be issuing your COE to confirm what is required.

What about someone with a re-entry permit who and is on retirement or marriage extensions? They may not know the next time they are going to be leaving Thailand, as you say it is probably the same as someone with permanent residency. A years covid insurance for $100.000 would probably be required.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about someone with a re-entry permit who and is on retirement or marriage extensions?

The Covid 19 insurance only needs to be valid to the day the extension/re-entry permit expires. 

• 3 weeks later...

I want to accompany my son to the US in August when he starts university and return after about ten days, so I called the Thai embassy in Washington, DC to ask about the COE's Covid insurance requirement for those with PR.  When I explained how it was not possible to obtain insurance with unlimited validity to match a PR's stay, I was advised to "upload whatever you have and let the visa section review it and if there is a problem call me back".  I am not sure whether this response meant "don't bother me" or "there shouldn't be an issue". The person with whom I spoke seemed bored and impatient, so perhaps the former.  Earlier emails to the embassy have gone unanswered.

My wife's friend from high school who is a senior officer in the Immigration Department upcountry says this isn't a serious issue, but admitted it was something for the MFA/embassy and not the Immigration Department to advise on.  I will have my wife call the embassy after a day or two and see if she gets a better response. I really don't want to leave Thailand with this unresolved. Has no-one else on TV with PR obtained a COE from the embassy or a consulate in the US using commercial insurance to evidence Covid cover?

29 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Where to get insurance of  covid 100k $ in Thailand 

I don't think it is available on a stand-alone basis, but many insurers do not exclude Covid from their annual medical insurance policies and will upon request provide the necessary certificate to get the COE. That is how I plan to evidence cover. 

I am also a PR and returned to thailand, buying a covid policy which was valid until my re entry expired and I didn't have any problems at all. (In my case my re entry was expiring shortly i.e. less than 30 days left on that, so I bought just 1 month covid policy and entered without any problems whatsoever with getting a COE and final entry in thailand)

• Thanks 1

I entered Thailand in early August 2020. My Insurance was valid for many months after this date. NQIV was valid until a couple of months ago. I was requested by the Embassy to extend validity of Insurance for 1 year from date of COE. Staff did not know if it was necessary, so were just playing safe and being genuinely helpful. Probably justified as I travelled on the 1st flight to land at Don Muang and was the first person through the document check and Immigration. Even the Ambassador at the time said that it is not clear.

• 4 months later...

I have it in writing from the Thai Embassy in Athens that if for the purposes of repatriation, the USD100K Covid insurance only needs a validity of one month. The way it is written implies that this applies to Non-Immigrant extensions as well as Permanent residents.

• Like 1