Vice removes altered photos of Khmer Rouge victims as Cambodia protests

geovalin

Hong Kong (CNN Business)US media group Vice has removed altered photographs of Khmer Rouge genocide victims from its website after a furious backlash in Cambodia and on social media.

The New York-based company on Friday published an interview with Matt Loughrey, an Ireland-based artist, who had colorized images of photos from the notorious Tuol Sleng S-21 torture prison in Phnom Penh, where at least 14,000 people lost their lives under the tyrannical rule of communist leader Pol Pot.

The article came under heavy criticism from readers, who said the artist had added smiles to some of the shots. On Monday, Vice said that it had removed the story and photos from its website.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geovalin said:

The article came under heavy criticism

There is now another new insult to Cambodia and I quote from today's khmer media:-

"Cambodia today faced a new insult to the nation and the memory of 2 million victims of the Cambodian Genocide.

An American “Death Metal” band has named themselves “Tuol Sleng” after the infamous prison where 20,000 people died at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. To compound the hurt to Cambodia, they have used the artwork of revered Cambodian painter and peace activist Vann Nath – himself one of the handful of people who emerged alive from the S-21 prison – for their promotional material"

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50837977/new-insult-to-cambodia-as-band-uses-s-21-prison-as-name-and-khmer-rouge-atrocity-artwork-for-promotion/

I've visited Tuol Sleng twice. It is a dark place which leaves you haunted by the deaths of the 17,ooo people who were murdered there.

Photos were taken of the inmates on arrival, and there are many of these photos on display at the museum. I can assure anyone reading that there are no smiles on those photos. The only expressions are of fear and worry.

I cannot understand what Matt Loughrey was thinking, by adding smiles to some of these photos. It's almost as if he didn't know what Tuol Sleng was all about. It's no surprose that his actions have been universally and rightly condemned.

• Like 2

Ok, so putting smiles on the faces is, or was, in bad taste.

But have you seen some of the S**t they pass off there as ok.

A map of Cambodia made out of the bones of the dead.

A glass tower filled with skulls of the dead.

A tree with a bull eyes on it where they claimed the KR slammed the head of kids to save on bullets.

I visited Pol Pots grave,...there were offerings all over the place.

Bad Taste???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1