Thai domestic tourism takes massive hit in first half of 2021 - 130 billion baht down

webfact

7pm.jpg

The Bangkok Insight reported that the Kasikorn research center were predicting a massive hit to domestic tourism in the first half of 2021 because of the second then third waves of Covid. 

Their prediction on domestic tourism spending has now plummeted by 130 billion baht. 

Their assessment of Songkran spending this year (compared to 2019 pre-pandemic) was a 34 billion baht loss.

The third wave of the virus had resulted in even more uncertainty and the rapid rise in virus cases had meant that the thinktank had revised its spending estimate down 10 billion baht from March.

Meanwhile the media reported that data from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports showed that tourism revenue in February was up 30% on January when the second wave hit home. 

But they noted that the third wave was a double whammy - much worse than the second wave causing people to stay home and cancel travel plans.

This had been particularly noticeable in changing peoples' plans for Songkran travel. 

The Bangkok Insight noted that just when it had looked like domestic tourism was rebounding after the second wave of Covid came the third wave that they described as "terrible news" for the Thai tourism economy. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-13

soon bangkokians will be escaping the city to neighbouring provinces to hide from the virus or do hotel quarantine (away from their overcrowded homes), that would be part of a forced domestic tourism.

they would support airbnb and small hotels, staying for weeks and months, working distantly from their computers. That was happening during the first wave in the other countries.

• Like 2

Just now, webfact said:

Their prediction on domestic tourism spending has now plummeted by 130 billion baht. 

Crikey. That didn't take very long to come unglued... The TAT strikes another blow for Thai street cred.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Insight reported that the Kasikorn research center were predicting a massive hit to domestic tourism in the first half of 2021 because of the second then third waves of Covid.

Seems the rush to open up inter provincial domestic tourism has actually cost more than it's made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

For what it's worth they have always claimed it had little to do with the GDP, however the way they portrayed it was that it was important but never that important.  Yet everyday we continued to hear about this program or that program or this or that Visa.  It makes it seem that Tourism was highly important monetary wise, but then that's my view 

Any Country with 11% + of its GDP from Foreign Tourists, has to call that amount of Money " Serious "

With another 8% of GDP coming from Domestic Tourism, the figure is " Very Serious " money. Its the money that matters, not what crud is spouted by TAT and who ever else.

• Like 1

I remember a time not so long ago when Thai government sources said that the foreign tourists are often ' dirty ' or uneducated , and that Thailand does not really need them anyway .

Well , this seems to have changed in the meantime .

Foreign tourists are suddenly wanted to come back to save the thai tourism industry ...

Of course , only the rich big spenders ... but the times of mass tourism are over anyway . And that is a good thing .

Just now, nobodysfriend said:

I remember a time not so long ago when Thai government sources said that the foreign tourists are often ' dirty ' or uneducated , and that Thailand does not really need them anyway .

Well , this seems to have changed in the meantime .

Foreign tourists are suddenly wanted to come back to save the thai tourism industry ...

Of course , only the rich big spenders ... but the times of mass tourism are over anyway . And that is a good thing .

As I recall, (and I might be mistaken), a recurring theme from the government has been that tourism was relatively unimportant so far as GDP was concerned. They seem to be singing a different song now...

Dirty, uneducated foreigners... pleasing to see that in spite or everything they haven't lost their sense of humour.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

No probs, our good friends in China will be at the ready with some useful loans. Competitve rates naturally - whats the betting it'll be a bit different from Hopewell...

IMHO, TL is already a basket case.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

As I recall, (and I might be mistaken), a recurring theme from the government has been that tourism was relatively unimportant so far as GDP was concerned.

Yeah, I remember that theme. Probably true so far as regards official spending, but once you take into account the black economy it falls apart. Reality hits. Personally, I'm always a bit <deleted> off by this downer on middle income Farangs, always going for the high income guys. Like I've brought millions of baht here, maybe not 100/200 thousand a month, but certainly 50/60. You don't want it I can go elsewhere, post covid.

Domestic tourism depends on domestic income. It's taking a while to work up the food chain. Usually it's work down, but Thailand, being what it is, it's work up. Personally, I feel rather guilty, like the worse it gets the better it is for me. It's about time Thailand took a few hits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

@sandyf this is astounding because I know you said the Thai Domestic Tourism would thrive and cover any losses. I can't believe this. 

The fallacy is the impact of domestic tourism.   

Domestic tourism only moves money around within the kingdom, i.e. it does not increase wealth of the kingdom.  International tourism brings wealth generated in other nations and leaves it in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

soon bangkokians will be escaping the city to neighbouring provinces to hide from the virus or do hotel quarantine (away from their overcrowded homes), that would be part of a forced domestic tourism.

they would support airbnb and small hotels, staying for weeks and months, working distantly from their computers. That was happening during the first wave in the other countries.

Realised the other day I lashed out. I was having a miserable day and had downed half a bottle of gin. My apologies. 

3 hours ago, ParkerN said:

And that, my friend, is the answer to this lot; perhaps the only answer. "You don't want me? then stick it in your pipe and smoke it: - I'm off". Don't sugar coat it with these people, they lie cheat and steal for a living... they'll lie to you, cheat you and steal from you; for them it's a game; a classic example of ascendancy psychology run amok.

But realistically, their grand plan to lure rich foreigners to Thailand and leave some of their money behind, will fail as most Thai 'grand plans' fail.. As I said in a different post, I believe we are all privileged to be watching the collapse of a nation; and make no mistake, TL hasn't got any friends so many people will likely applause as they go down. China might come to the rescue - might, but it will be expensive, more so that the bogus high-speed trains. They've done it to themselves with years of being obnoxious and pretending they're better than everyone else. We'll see about that I guess. My sympathies lie with the poor people (upcountry) they have deliberately reared to be thick and uneducated so the Bangkok elites can have a perpetual fund of cheap labour. Personally, I won't shed any tears as the pooyay start going to the wall.

???? it's better to have 10 people spending 40.000 baht a month then having 1 person spending 400.000 baht that way more people are making money and more families are fed . The people that spend big money will probably spend it in only a few places and in places owned by the hi-so (the expensive and upper class places) where if 10 people spend their money it will be in more places and probably at places where the people need it the most and where more families then one will be benefitting from it and it will be the same amount of money spend . Ithink they can get more people that will spend 40.000baht a month then people that will spend 400.000 a month and i know they need only a 100 spending 400.000 where they will need a 1000 spending 40.000 but still it's more fair because people that need it the most will profit from it . But that's not how it works here they will only make plans that will benefit the rich and don't give a <deleted> about the poor and middle class hence the golfresort quarantine and phuket bubble and all their so called plans to help . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

???? it's better to have 10 people spending 40.000 baht a month then having 1 person spending 400.000 baht that way more people are making money and more families are fed . The people that spend big money will probably spend it in only a few places and in places owned by the hi-so (the expensive and upper class places) where if 10 people spend their money it will be in more places and probably at places where the people need it the most and where more families then one will be benefitting from it and it will be the same amount of money spend . Ithink they can get more people that will spend 40.000baht a month then people that will spend 400.000 a month and i know they need only a 100 spending 400.000 where they will need a 1000 spending 40.000 but still it's more fair because people that need it the most will profit from it . But that's not how it works here they will only make plans that will benefit the rich and don't give a <deleted> about the poor and middle class hence the golfresort quarantine and phuket bubble and all their so called plans to help . 

True, true. Very true. This government (and every prior Thai government) looks after the wealthy. The wealthy look after the Don. The Don looks after himself. It was ever thus.

And the people eat it all up and say 'thank you sir, may I please have another kick in the teeth? I just love the sound my teeth make as they break.

Which is why dumb and uneducated is good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

True, true. Very true. This government (and every prior Thai government) looks after the wealthy. The wealthy look after the Don. The Don looks after himself. It was ever thus.

And the people eat it all up and say 'thank you sir, may I please have another kick in the teeth? I just love the sound my teeth make as they break.

Which is why dumb and uneducated is good.

So happy the internet is here and people aren't that dumb and uneducated as they where before the internet (still many are but) . That's why the last protests where a lot of students . I hope for the countries sake thing will change in the future , they can't keep fooling them forever . It might not happen in my lifetime but it will no doubt . 

• Like 2

There has been no loss for Thailand. None. Yes one sector, tourism did not receive the tourism revenue. So?

People are carrying on as if the money was lost, had disappeared, vaporized, gone poof, never to be seen again.

Wrong. The money is still there but is being spent on different  activities and services. Some are using  money to support family which means  spending on goods and services. Others are buying real estate or local consumer items. And others are paying off debt.

Thailand is closed to most  tourists and so are other countries, so these domestic tourists are not spending in different country. Yes one  segment of the economy is hit, but other segment of the economy is getting  increased  revenue.Thailand has not closed down. People still  need to eat and still need goods and services. Consider this a redistribution of wealth. 

• Haha 1