Thailand reports 965 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Slight reduction, i wonder how much of the reduction is because of less testing and people being on holiday not caring about tests.

Im actually surprised it still that high given Songkran and less tests. 

It will be more interesting to see what the result will be after this holiday when people are back and tests are being done more regularly. 

Yes, quite.

And isn't it uncanny that the figures never go over over the 'thousand' and remain in the hundreds?  Seeing that the virus is so virulent.  But we feel much safer this way.

GPO to buy half a million Favipiravir tablets to cope with new Covid-19 wave

"The Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) is planning to procure an additional 500,000 tablets of Favipiravir for treatment of Covid-19 patients following a new outbreak in Bangkok since late March, which has quickly spread to several provinces.

“Currently we have 411,200 tablets in stock, while the GPO's Medical Supply Reservation and Logistics Division is planning to soon procure an additional 500,000 tablets to prepare for increasing number of patients and to ensure uninterrupted treatment of existing patients,” said Sirikul Matevelungsun, GPO deputy managing director.

Sirikul added that since the start of the week, the GPO has begun distributing Favipiravir tablets in its stock to hospitals and medical units nationwide, especially in provinces with a high number of infections. Treatment of each Covid-19 patient requires up to 70 tablets of Favipiravir."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404841

Free Covid-19 tests to be provided under social security scheme

The Ministry of Labour will provide free Covid-19 tests to members of the social security scheme. The initiative covers members under Sections 33, 39 and 40 of the Social Security Act.

Section 33 covers current employees, Section 39 covers former employees who wish to preserve their insured status by continuing to contribute to the fund, and Section 40 covers self-employed people.

“The programme will kick off on April 17 at Bangkok Youth Centre (Thai - Japan) in Bangkok’s Din Daeng district, whereas those insured under the social security scheme, who are in risky groups, can receive Covid-19 tests for free,” Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin said on Monday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404839

• Like 1

Nakhon Ratchasima province had a big jump in reported daily COVID cases today to 67... Part of the reason:

Nakhon Ratchasima reports new Covid cluster at BBQ restaurant

Health officials in Nakhon Ratchasima say 13 staff at a barbecue buffet restaurant in Muang district have tested positive for Covid-19.

The staff were tested after an investigation of a Covid-19 patient’s timeline revealed that she had eaten at the restaurant on April 5. The restaurant, located in front of Rajamangala University of Technology Isan on Sura Narai Road, shut its doors on April 10 and all staff were ordered to get a Covid test.

Health officials in the Northeast province announced on Monday that anyone who visited the restaurant between April 5 and 9 should get a test immediately.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404851

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

New cases have plateaued so you guys who have been predicting viral apocalypse for the past few days won't have to lock yourself in your basement for the next year after all.

Plateaued or just away on holiday or not wanting to pay for a test or be hospitalised?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Slight reduction, i wonder how much of the reduction is because of less testing and people being on holiday not caring about tests.

It will be more interesting to see what the result will be after this holiday when people are back and tests are being done more regularly. 

Tests should be being done more regularly.

Hmmmm

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Note: the Prime Minister met the other day with leaders of Thailand's private hospitals association, and he and other government officials emerged promising that private hospitals would be allowed to import up to 10 million vaccine doses.

Why limit the number to 10 million?

• Like 2

Just now, dogfish180 said:

Who in their right mind would voluntarily go for a Covid test, unless planning a flight? The consequences of getting a positive test should be enough to scare anyone away!

Responsible people who are worried to infect the people around them. I can imagine people living alone who don't care much about others would not do so. I would hate to be the one that infected all my friends. So yes id go for a test if i was at risk.

My GF had to do a test because she was at a certain bar and there were 10 in her company who got infected. It was all clear and yes i fear getting locked up too. Losing out on work and other stuff. But putting your head in the sand and acting like there is no problem is not the right way to go around.

I just worry about others who i might infect.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The week leading up to the April 4th the seven day rolling average was about 16,000 tests per day according to world in data.

0C36EADD-FEAF-4C5F-A4EF-58E38D8F0B76.jpeg.67b3747a88a7ed12103ceeb1f756fdf1.jpeg

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing#how-many-tests-are-performed-each-day

That figure is different on the MOPH site listing laboratory tests carried out. Only in the last couple of days has it started to go up from about 3k a day, now to 16k listed for yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

That figure is different on the MOPH site listing laboratory tests carried out. Only in the last couple of days has it started to go up from about 3k a day, now to 16k listed for yesterday. 

I think an audit of the numbers would be interesting.I think there might be some amount of testing in quarantine and also confirmation testing of positive cases in the mix and some anonymous testing categories not mentioned just to boost the numbers to make them look better.1000 is about 6.25% of 16000 so an infection rate of about 6%.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

more convinced than ever that these reports are just made up. Look at infection curves anywhere in the world, except Thailand and you never see a flat rate increase as perfect as this ????

You do, but only at the start of a new, fresh outbreak before a lot of effort to stop it.  Western countries are now so heavily infected that you cant see 'fresh' data. 

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

For all those people who are afraid of the Astra Zeneca blood cloth issue. Do know that if you fly you got 100 times more risk for blood cloth issues then if you get the vaccine. Does not seem to scare people from flying.  

All that scaremongering and those antivaxers with their strange theories are making people affraid. 30+ Million people in UK vaccinated. I don't see them dropping dead over there because of blood cloths. The risk of getting covid and its bad effects is far higher then taking a vaccine.

Well done UK show the world how its done. The more countries that show positive results will silence those loons with their theories. 

Word wide 797 million shots of vaccination taken. Now if it was as bad as those anti vaxers make it out to be people would be dropping dead all over the world. Compare that with how many die from a 100 million covid cases and its after effects. Just to put it in perspective.

Apparently there have been 7 deaths and 30 cases of blood clots from the Astra Zeneca vaccine who wood not have died had an alternative been used.There are alternatives which I think is point worth considering.You are right of course we do weigh the risks for many different things we do like driving etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56620646

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Apparently there have been 7 deaths and 30 cases of blood clots from the Astra Zeneca vaccine who wood not have died had an alternative been used.There are alternatives which I think is point worth considering.You are right of course we do weigh the risks for many different things we do like driving etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56620646

Now 7 deaths is bad.. but given the number of vaccines given its quite low. Yes it bad when your one of those. I too would want a moderna or Pfizer vaccine. But only because its more effective against other strains. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

And what medicine do you suggest I need for holding a different opinion?

A healthy dose of realism washed down with a big glass common sense would be a good start. The holiday has just started and we all know the Thais love to party. ????

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Don't fully understand about these tests and who's doing them and where.  Most private hospitals are turning people away today who simply want to get tested but for no other reason quoting insufficient test kits. We've had to book a Covid test two weeks before we fly without to much difficulty at THB 3,800 per person but really cant see how the government are just randomly testing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Plateaued or just away on holiday or not wanting to pay for a test or be hospitalised?

Why ruin your Songkran by getting tested and finding out you have Covid-19, gotta have Sanook, more important to hang with family and friends.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In Singapore it seems to work. I hear they have tracing bracelets. A friend had one and the strap was too long. (wrist too small) so he cut it. A while later the police appeared. They thought he cut it completely.

Your Singapore description above kinda reminds me of the locked on ankle bracelets that the authorities in the US and perhaps elsewhere put on people who are out of bail or probation....

Right now, Thailand's up to 6,000+ active current cases of people who tested positive and are in some kind of hospital/field hospital facility....  I'd imagine, the alternative of trying to do electronic tracking on that volume of folks, an amount that's probably gonna go higher, could end up being quite a task!

But even moreso, even if a bracelet or tracker ensured the person was staying at home, that by no means means they're gonna be separate from non-infected family members. It might just mean, they'd be locked up at home in close quarters to infect everyone else living there!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd imagine, trying to do electronic tracking on that volume of folks, an amount that's probably gonna go higher, could end up being quite a task!

The electronic/internet side of the tracking is not a problem. The first major obstacle might be that Thailand does not have that quantity of trackers available.

The second obstacle might be: What would you actually do with the data? If the purpose is for enforcement, who is going to be doing the enforcement? How would they do this? Who would pay for the enforcement?